Tankathon - 2021 Edition

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Team culture is always about the owners. Period.

When a team is bad for a prolonged period of time that is on the owners and it generally will not change until the ownership changes or the owners find a guy to manage everything for them.

Parcells saved Hess.

Who is going to save the Johnson's?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Whoever writes them a big enough check.

Not that it matters. What is their incentive to sell or to make the team realistically competitive? They can just reset the QB clock with another top draft pick and jerseys will sell, and corporations will still buy blocks of tickets.

3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

If there was a Peyton Manning-type player in the draft and the Jets had to lose their last game to get the No. 1 pick, I could live with rooting for a loss in that final game. Otherwise I think it is so destructive to the morale of a team that it is usually nowhere near worth it. I hate firesales and tanking on principle.

Ralebird and CotcheryFan like this.
  4. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Don't worry, the Jets will organically take care of the losing

horsehead, Brook!, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  5. abyzmul

The Jets are a Failure Elemental.

Gotham Green likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

At this point I think we need a shutdown corner more than a top edge. When you start hearing things like, "the Jets just don't have anyone that can cover so and so", it speaks volumes.

7. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

not claiming any moral highground or anything... i think the only way i could roo for them to lose would be to totally abandon them and root for the only REAL NY team

8. abyzmul

Nah, Edge. 4 man rush all day long, we need that line stocked with the equivalent of 2 starting units that can stay fresh at all times.

Not that I don't see the value in a shutdown, I just don't think you find them very often and the top 10 corner bust rate is pretty ugly.

Leicester Jet and PJ4Ever like this.
  9. Br4d

The Jets need to stabilize the franchise before they start thinking in terms of "we need x or we need y".

You could put the best corner or edge in football on the Jets right now and they would still be a very bad team.

ouchy likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Sure I agree in principal. But we have to be smart. We'd love the best edge in the draft. But we have so many holes that if we are holding the pick for a top edge we gotta trade it down and get more premium picks. Then you can fill more hole with promising players. We keep falling into the trap of wanting the one best player, but you cant turn around a dumpster fire by always going the one best player. That is the route for teams that are already competing. We try to run before were walking.

11. Br4d

The incentive to sell or raise the team's competitiveness is to not be widely viewed as failures at a public trust position.

The Johnson's have a lot of money. You can't buy respect.

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is why boycott is our only real hope of forcing change imo. It's a shot in the dark and unlikely to succeed as it would take massive collaboration among the fans, but it's legitimately one of the few things we can actually do as fans.

Stop buying merchandise and stop going to games. This franchise doesn't deserve any money.

NYJetsO12 and barfolomew like this.
  13. abyzmul

Joe has built up enough draft capital where he can afford to swing for the fences with that first pick and still have a crop of draft picks behind it. Yes, I do see the value in compiling such an epic pile of draft picks that you could dive into it like Scrooge McDuck, but if there's a physical monster edge there that can spend all day punking out elite LTs then we could have Braxton Berrios out there playing corner and not worrying about it.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Boycotting just makes the home crowd chant "Lets go dolphins" and doesn't cost the Johnsons anything.
    Show up and BOO.

barfolomew likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

One thing I cant argue with is that edge has a much lower bust potential than a QB at #2.

Centiment, abyzmul and barfolomew like this.
  16. Br4d

I think the performance issues are about the same.

However if you're playing the edge and he's getting a few sacks and making some plays each year he doesn't stand out like the QB who is below average at that point.

You're still pretty screwed that he didn't turn into a great edge but he is not killing your team every game like the QB is.

I think if I was running an NFL franchise I would make it a hard and fast rule not to take a QB in the top half of the 1st round unless I was picking #1 and it was clear there was a generational talent out there. I'd still take a fair amount of QB's overall but I'd look to have a competition between a few guys who might be it each year with the best man winning out. Eventually I'd find the FQB and then that would stop until I needed to do it again.

The bust rate on QB's in the top 16 picks is lower than the failure rate on all other QB's but the investment that you put in to get that difference is huge and out of proportion to the difference.

17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Was just reading how as of today, we have the 2nd and 5th overall picks in the draft…sucks that yet again, we’ve been playing for draft picks and not playoffs since before Halloween.

but it is what it is…

a lot will change as we still play both Hou and Jax, so we may even beat one or both of them….but it’ll be interesting to see where we end up and what we do. I’m thinking that if we’re in position to land a top edge rusher, we have to take it. It’s too critical of a position, and there is no guarantee that Lawson will be any good coming off an Achilles….he’s an explosive player but that injury may rob him of that and if it does, he’s too small to hold up. I’m thinking we have to assume he’s won’t come back at an impactful level, and if he does that’s a bonus, but we can’t ignore edge on the hope that he can come back and be a dominant rusher.

other than that, it may be worth trading back a time or two and gaining more picks.

I do believe that one great player who can impact a game is worth more than three average players…so I’d prefer to draft an edge and an OT, but we have so little quality depth that it’ll likely be worth trading down a couple times

barfolomew likes this.
  18. Br4d

We signed a 26 year old edge with 20 career sacks and now we're hanging on whether or not he can return to form after an injury.

So like we'd be thrilled if we got his career average of sacks - that is 5... next season?

Free agents are like in-laws staying with you. They look really good for a week tops and then you wish they'd never showed up.

NYJetsO12 and barfolomew like this.
  19. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Jets drop to 4th pick after win today

barfolomew likes this.
  20. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I think it's reasonable to expect the jets picking between 3-5 with their pick... Hopefully top 10 with the Seahawks pick... But they have a cupcake schedule and could potentially win out or only lose one game so that's still up in the air.

barfolomew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.