Quinnen Williams is the NFL's next version of Warren Sapp:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 27, 2021.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Not that I would want to lose a good player but if they can continually grab guys off the scrap heap, get few productive years and then turn them into comp picks because we have too many good players to pay. Sign me up for that as a way to have continued success.

Not that I really consider Franklin Myers off the scrap heap, he just got caught in a situation of too many good DLs on one team.

Brook!, FJF and patleahy like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

80%

I think that's the magic number I heard during a Saleh interview in terms of the snap count they have in mind for Quinnen in order to be most effective. I also read his snap count last season was around 60-65%, so he's got a ways to get there and he needs to return to full health, which he's probably not going to be when he gets back on the field during camp.

Q is gonna be the lynchpin. I know the defense is based on the Seattle group but the personnel more closely resembles the Dungy Tampa 2 that Herm repeatedly tried and laughably failed to replicate with the Jets. We lose the guy in the Sapp role, and the entire defense becomes less effective individually, if he plays less than the defense calls for, the defense becomes that degree less effective, I don't care how decent the rotation is.

For me it's hard to envision the defense being top 5 at this point, or even top 10, unless Q hits that 80% mark.

3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Glad to have you back. Have you been helping George RR martin finish winds of winter? ;)

4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Told you so.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He’s been a massive disappointment. Still a good player that we should re-sign. Maybe we dodged a $100 million bullet.

IDFjet likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He's a lazy player.

Send him to the Giants!

7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Another DWC thread that has aged like a fine wine.

REVISion likes this.
  8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Don’t be fooled. Q’s a boss.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

He’s a good player. Above average. But he is not dominant unfortunately. Maybe he gets there if/when the edge rushers improve next year.

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  10. Mogriffjr

What doesn’t he do that he’s not elite? Besides his playing time (which seems to be by design for the whole starting DLine?)

11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The jury is still out on him too although he looks a lot more promising at this point. I believe he needs an EDGE rusher next to him to bring out a more dominating side to him….

barfolomew likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Elite players wreck games. He doesn’t wreck games. Did you watch Chris Jones dominate the Cowboys? Jeffrey Simmons versus the Rams in Prime Time? Not even saying both of those guys are elite but those were elite performances.

Quinnen is a really good player. But he’s not an elite player. I don’t think he’s ever quite had a game like that and elite defensive tackles don’t allow their team to get absolutely destroyed against the ground game like we have.

#32 Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    IDFjet and Jets79 like this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

More playing time isn't a free lunch. Q's per-snap numbers are probably better than they would be if he played more snaps due to the fatigue that comes with playing more.

Q is pretty good but he's not as good as you'd hope a guy taken 3rd overall would be. For a DL to justify taking them 3rd overall they need to be consistently disrupting the QB. I realize very few IDL's consistently get lots of sacks, which is part of the problem with taking an IDL that high.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

and to think our moron of a former GM did it TWICE!!!

AND also took a freaking safety high!

REVISion likes this.
  15. Mogriffjr

His analytic numbers are up there with the best. I’ve been noticing no one on the starting line plays more then 60% ish of snaps so this isn’t exclusive to Q. Id be curious why his snap count isn’t more, or anyone on the starting line for that matter.

16. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

That Quinnen year though out of the last 20 drafts that may literally have been the worst possible one for the Jets to have the 3rd overall pick. The way the team was set up we just desperately needed help for Sam and the offense and there just wasn't anything there. TJ Hockenson has turned out to be a fine player and the Jets need help at TE but whatever... Q is pretty good and the Jets just did the best they could. That was also pre-Herndon implosion if I remember the timeline right.

Under normal circumstances the Jets could have been picking Jerry Rice or Anthony Munoz there. Or trading the pick to some hapless QB-desperate team so they could mortgage the future on Blake Bortles.

FJF and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

That’s true. My preference was Josh Allen because of the lengthy experience he had in college at the same SEC level with more limited talent around him. Quinnen seems like he’s the better player since their rookie years though.

It’s always fitting when the Jets miss out on generational talents by a pick. Maccagnan was the worst but I’d imagine he was stuck in that slot and probably made the right decision. People forget how dominant Quinnen Williams was in college.

NYJFOREVER and FJF like this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Quinnen Williams will be just fine when the Jets slot in a real edge rusher. It's what the front seven is missing now and the inability to find that guy has made the other guys in the front weaker.

Warren Sapp???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Q has one fewer sack than he did all of last year. And that's with him being on a "pitch count." There are no signs that he's pulling any of the same shenanigans Adams did. Hopefully, he gets a second contract with us.

papapump and Br4d like this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Some good examples of how this toxic fan base can be with some of these replies in this thread.

#1 in sack %, 2nd in sacks amongst his position. Dudes a stud and I don’t want to hear anything else.