Root cause. Chill out.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Nov 15, 2021.

1. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Folks - this team is a house without a foundation. Joe Douglas can not be judged on this team after inheriting 8 years of criminally negligent drafts and GM decisions. Hell, you could argue that Darnold ruined Gase's career, at this point.

Look at our drafts below. 1 2nd rounder in 8 years that sticks. 1 1st rounder in 8 years that stick. No OL at all.

Give it some time. We're digging out of a massive hole. JD has a plan and he's executing against it. He's made far more good decisions than bad ones. He's still paying for sh*tty contracts for fired players, and his draft choices are still in their infancy.

[​IMG]

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I disagree. He's had 2+ offseasons, and this roster is arguably worse than the one he inherited. Once upon a time, we had another GM who was great at getting rid of bad players and avoiding bad contracts but couldn't build a roster worth anything. That GM was John Idzik. Douglas is Idzik with better PR.

ouchy, SOJAZ, Jonathan_Vilma and 2 others like this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's true, but also it's not true. The team needs to start winning or at least playing better. I like some of the talent that Douglas has accumulated, but the team is still (2-7) with 3 out of the last 4 games being blowouts. Douglas hired Saleh too. If the coaching doesn't start to look better, that is a really bad look for Douglas.

Jojo, KY Jets Fan, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The root cause is Joe Douglas.

The darkness before the dawn should be long past by now.

Time to put up or shut up.

ouchy and SOJAZ like this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think the roster is decent. It's certainly a lot more talented than last year's team. The 2020 draft is looking like a disaster but the early returns on the 2021 class are good.

The blame for this mess is almost entirely on Saleh and his staff.

I do knock JD hugely for not replacing GVR during the offseason, that oversight alone is the reason for most of the OL problems we've had this year.

6. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I'm expecting to win 3 of the next 8 games tbh. We have a much easier schedule and this is where I expect to see some growth within the team.

Were setting up a base within the trenches and many JD fans (including myself) believe in seeing a process/vision through.

Personally, I feel that this team has been built up for this off-season (2x1st, 2x 2nd and a ton of cap space)

If we can do well in the draft and FA like we are positioned to do, then we can take the jump we need to.

3 years is always the case for a GM and after next offseason, that's it no more excuses for me.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

7. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

So you believe 2 years is enough to
    1 - shed bad contracts that don't expire until 2022 (eg Trumaine Jones)
    2 - build up depth to deal with the loss of your top 2 OL (Becton) and your top DL (Lawson)
    3 - win with only 2 first/second round draft choices from the previous 8 years sticking

Saleh is concerning me. The roster is not.

I'd buy a house with a solid 1/2 built foundation for 100K than a complete house with a broken foundation and an exquisite layout/paint job for 400K. We're living in a house being rebuilt the right way.

NCJetsfan, SOJAZ and RochesterJet like this.
  8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

One of the (multiple) problems hamstringing the Jets at this very moment is that in recent years they have invested 4 2nd round picks and 3 not only 1st round picks but premium ones (#6, 5 and 2 overall) in QB and safeties that are at the moment not contributing anything on the field. Even throw in a couple of premium free agent contracts that one way or another are currently yielding nothing, and that is a ton of theoretically prime quality players that are not even there as the Jets blasted by 50 points a week.

Not the whole story, and some of that stuff like Wilson and the Seattle draft pick may ultimately pan out and contribute but I feel like that has been a major contributing factor.

Go to any NFL team you want that is currently doing well and strip away that much "stuff" from their active roster and see if the hill doesn't all of a sudden look a lot steeper for them.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Douglas has hired Saleh and got us Zach ..those are absolutely career deciding or ending decisions

The rest of his trades and drafts are just a mixed bag..right?

Lets wait another 7 games to give the Grades out ..but nothing looking great so far other than one or two players eg Carter Myers Hall

10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We’ve been one of the worst three teams in the NFL for pretty much every season in a the last 10 years.

There is really only one direction we can travel in and subsequent GMs have still managed to make the Jets trajectory plateau around 31st worst team. It takes an enormous amount of ineptitude to burn draft picks and cap space and still see no tangible improvement.

I don’t blame JD solely for this but I’ve seen as much bad as good from him. I’m not sure why he has such partisan defenders on this site when a Junior Human Resources Manager from Van Heusen could probably obtain the same results.

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The roster is better than the inherited one in 2019, I bolded the position groups that I think are better, and italicized those I think are a push. Any that you disagree on?

2019 OL: Kelvin Beachum, Kelechi Osemele, Jonotthan Harrison, Brian Winters, Brandon Shell

2021 OL: Mekhi Becton, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Connor McGovern, Greg Van Roten, George Fant

2019 QB: Sam Darnold

2021 QB: Zach Wilson

2019 RB: Le’Veon Bell, Bilal Powell

2021 RB: Michael Carter, Ty Johnson

2019 TE: Christopher Herndon, Daniel Brown

2021 TE: Tyler Kroft, Ryan Griffin

2019 WR: Quincy Enunwa, Robby Anderson, Jamison Crowder, Josh Bellamy

2021 WR: Corey Davis, Elijah Moore, Jamison Crowder, Keelan Cole

2019 IDL: Leonard Williams, Steve McLendon, Henry Anderson, Quinnen Williams

2021 IDL: Quinnen Williams, Folorunso Fatukasi, Sheldon Rankins, Nathan Shepherd

2019 Edge: Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Copeland, Harvey Langi

2021 Edge: Carl Lawson, John Franklin-Myers, Bryce Huff

2019 LB: CJ Mosley, Avery Williamson, Neville Hewitt

2021 LB: CJ Mosley, Jarrad Davis, Jamien Sherwood

2019 CB: Trumaine Johnson, Darryl Roberts, Brian Poole

2021 CB: Bryce Hall, Brandin Echols, Michael Carter II

2019 S: Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Matthias Farley

2021 S: Marcus Maye, Lamarcus Joyner, Ashtyn Davis

2021: (6) OL, QB, RB, WR, Edge, CB

2019: (3) IDL, LB, S

Push: (1) TE

KY Jets Fan, faree, chandler and 6 others like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You can’t really say the quarterback position has been better. Darnold sucks but he was better in all three years than rookie Wilson has been up until this point. Obviously the upside is better though.

I’d say edge is a push. Carl Lawson being out counts for better or worse and the other two are paper tigers even though the 2019 group sucked.

ouchy likes this.
  13. MaximusD163

If you’re going to include guys missing time, it opens a whole other can of worms. Herndon out makes the 2021 TE group easily win, even though they suck. Mosley and Williamson missing 2019 makes the 2021 terrible LB showing the better unit. Enunwa being out makes the 2019 WR group look even more like a joke. Copeland missed games to suspension… I don’t want to include injuries but if you do, I think it makes the 2019 squad even worse. QB I’ll give you I guess but Darnold will probably have missed more due to Mono than Zach will have missed due to a PCL strain.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Results matter though. We’ll see where we finish. If we lose 3 more games than we did in 2019, is this roster really that much more talented?

15. MaximusD163

Eh, I don’t know if you remember but the Jets had a lot go their way in 2019. They had this crazy schedule where they barely had to travel at all. I’m pretty sure that year their farthest road game that year was Miami. They only left the East Coast for one game which was in Ohio. That stuff really does make a difference. They had 7 wins, but 6 of those teams didn’t make the playoffs that year, and the only one that did (BUF) rested all of their starters in week 17.

We’ll see how the rest of the year plays out, but I’ve been saying since before this year that if JD, Saleh and Wilson are legit, that 2022 is the year we will most likely see major record improvement, and 2023 will be a Super Bowl contention year.

NCJetsfan, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Of course I remember. It was a cupcake schedule at the end of the year although I do remember that a lot of those cupcakes had pretty good defenses albeit train wreck offenses.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This is this is year 1 of Douglas having total control and the draft class looks pretty good. Actual offensive contributors. I don’t know if that’s a coincidence or not but it makes me in no hurry to make any changes.

18. MaximusD163

I don’t see how you can even consider making changes until you see how things go in 2022

19. MaximusD163

Yes, and they also lost to the 0-7 Dolphins and 0-11 Bengals that year. In all, they lost to 4 teams who ended up picking in the top 10 of the following draft.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Calling JD Idzik is harsh.