Rex Ryan: "Don't ever compare this guy to me"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Nov 15, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We have the worst LBing and DB crews in the league.

But were not lacking talent.

Oh boy.

Royal Tee likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This entire offseason needs to be dedicated to the defense. Spend the big fuckin bucks on free agents and draft draft draft

3. Jetsin2029

Jetsin2029 Member

Agree 100% with Rex.

I know he’s a rookie HC and was going to be over matched against the AFC East coaching this year but the Jets are unwatchable. As bad as Gase was in Miami and NY, this is worse. Some where Rich from Staten Island his laughing

4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We've used late-round picks to patch the defence and thrown in the odd free agency splurge to try and cover the real glaring deficiencies. The free agents haven't panned out and the hybrid LB experiment still isn't working despite (so I'm told) that's where football is going. Part of the blame can be put on the Dollar Tree roster, the rest falls on Saleh for not making this corps at least serviceable.

We really are years away from being competitive - we could replace about 45 players on the roster with other UDFAs and not really notice a difference in the scoreline or standings.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  5. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

2015 was fun.......until week 17 at Buffalo.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The ending must make people want to forget that season even though it was fun to watch two 1,000 yard WR's and a QB throw for 30 TD's.

Sack exchange, bicketybam and ouchy like this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm not quite here yet. I still think the most important single thing for this franchise is to find out if Wilson is the guy ASAP so we can either build around him or move on.

With that in mind we definitely need to shore up the OL and we could use a #1 receiver as well. Davis isn't a good enough #1. We need a true Ja'Marr Chase-type. A guy who can play on the outside and beat people physically.

Our defense is a wreck but it's still relatively less important than our offense.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles laughing at your post...

[​IMG]

Ptflea2 and apjbfc like this.
  9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Gase took a Miami to the playoffs. He looks like Vince Lombardi compared to The Mummy.

10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He's as excited as I've seen Robert Saleh!

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. I think we still need a legit WR and some more guys on the line, but we need to make the defense a HUGE priority.

94Abraham likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Our horrid defense is hampering Zach's development.

13. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Rex. The poor play has almost nothing to do with the weak talent. If it was just a lack of talent, they'd be bad. But they aren't even competing. Teams are easily scoring TDs on them on almost every single drive. It shouldn't matter that they lack talent. They are still NFL players; they should be a match for opponents. A good coach should be able to develop a scheme, even with less-than-desirable talent, and make other teams work for points.

14. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Why the f--- would you take away his first two years? He went to the AFC Championship game twice with the worst starting QB in football (a rookie the first year). And he knocked off Belichick in the playoffs.

Acad23 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Saleh should be embarrassed to be the head coach of a team with such terrible defensive results.

Rex, love him or hate him, and he's definitely a loud mouth ass, simply would never let this happen. I dont care if you stuck him with Ashtyn Davis or Geena Davis at safety, he would never coach a team that gives up 45+ points 3 times in 1 month

16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I can't tell If things were worse with Gase at this point.

I guess that's not even the biggest issue In that statement. The fact that I can't tell, well, Is.....

17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The two things are not mutually exclusive. This scheme lead to one of the best defense of the last decade with the Legion of Boom and some formidable 49er defenses.

The Jets linebackers outside of CJ Mosley are fucking putrid, there are not enough words in the English language to describe how bad they are. Jarrad Davis is one of the worst LBs I've ever seen and is a disgrace to the #52. The rookie CBs have been poor in the run game, struggling to keep contain and force runs back inside. I will most definitely get on Saleh's case for the constant rotation on the defensive line. I understand why they do it; keep your best DL fresh for late game when they can really get after it, the problem is that the backup DL they rotate in are even worse than our LBers! Saleh needs to keep Quinnen, JFM, and Foley on the field for a higher % of snaps. The Jets lead the league in snaps taken by rookies and 2nd year players, they are ridiculously young, we have to give them more than 9 games, just like how we needed to give LaFleur more than 6 games before judging him. I'll end this by saying Saleh and Ulbrich need to figure the defense out, 170+ points in 4 games inexcusable, but to say it is JUST talent or JUST coaching is not fair. It's both of them.

Also, you won't find any new toy shinier than Saleh's bald head ;)

18. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

While I agree with everything he's saying, by the same token coming from Rex himself it's like...dude put away the rabbit ears and stop making everything a **** measuring contest. Wonderful, you're a better defensive mind and motivator than Robert Saleh, what's the trophy you get for that look like?

And there is a serious talent issue on defense when you have...no pass rush, sixth-round rookie corners, jabroni safeties and 2/3 of your Opening Day linebackers were Quinnen's brother who was cut from Jacksonville and a fifth-rounder that had never played the position before. Sure Saleh can do a LOT better but let's not pretend he's got a lot to work with here, especially post-Lawson injury. Going with sixth round and undrafted corners wasn't going to work long-term unless Saleh literally was a defensive genius. Rex was pretty close to a defensive genius, but it takes more than that to have sustainable success.

#38 NYJFan10, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  19. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

They lacked them last year but still weren’t the worst defense in the league. That shouldn’t be hard for you to comprehend

20. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Still a massive hole at TE but outside of TE and maybe a legit #1, defense has to be the way to go. Half these current players on D have zero awareness whatsoever.

#40 94Abraham, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021