Offensive Silver Lining

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Still mad at defense. But was reminded by good posters about this team still being a work in progress. I respect them for sure.

That said, I think I found something to be happy about on this cold Saturday.

Cincinnati Game: 511 total yards. 414 Passing Yards. 4 offensive Touchdowns. We won time of possession against Bengals. 36 minutes versus 23 minutes. Total 34 points scored for Jets.

We won Cincy game so all good right.

But then again we went on the road, on a Thursday night where it is almost difficult for away teams to win due to short travel and lost our QB and went with our 3rd string QB majority of the game. Yes at one point we were down big and Indy played softer but we have seen Jets not capitalize on these softer opponent plays before.

So here is our Indy game stats.

Indianapolis Game: 486 total yards. 398 Passing Yards. 3 offensive Touchdowns. We were very close to Colts in time of possession. 29:33 for Jets, 30:27 for Colts. Total 30 points scored or Jets.

So in back to games, Jets QB's threw over 375 yards each, we either won time of possession or were almost here. In each game we scored over 30+ points.

One thing to look forward or me is to see progression of the offense rest of this season.

My big hope is Saleh will prove his worth and fix defense at some point.

What I am looking forward to now is the Bills game.

Bills are a tough defensive team. They only allowed 1277 passing yards in 7 games and they are the league leaders. They only allowed 5 passing TD's in 7 games and this is again lowest in the league. The next best team is Chargers and they allowed 9 TD's only. So Bills have a top Air Defense.

Will we continue our offensive trends? I don't know. But that's what I will be looking for next Sunday.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

No.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

First time ever we have put up 30 points and tallied over 480 yards in two straight games.

A quote from Lafleur yesterday about moving up to the box:

“I always wanted to be up there,” LaFleur said Friday. “Right when I first got here, that’s 100 percent where I was gonna go. That’s what I always felt, just watching Kyle [Shanahan] in 2016 and just being up there the last two years in San Francisco. I feel like everyone sees it a little bit better up there.”

REVISion likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Frank Reich took the Jets +10 so he was trying to secure the cover.

No, but in all honesty it was nice seeing the Jets moving the ball even when the game was over. We've sat through a lot of beat downs that involved few points and 226 yards of total offense. The offense looked alive.

dmw, NYJFOREVER and mrjet80 like this.
  5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The offense is headed in the right direction after the infusion of talent this past offseason. They aren’t finished yet. It still needs a couple of OL, a reliable, fast TE who can stretch the field, and another RB to add to the current Carter/Johnson tandem. But the offense is definitely on an upward trend.

The defense requires the same type infusion of talent this coming offseason. EDGE- An outside pass rush once and for all. LBs who can cover. Safeties who can hit. My estimate the Jets could use at least 4 core players on defense maybe 5. The interior DL is good. The CBs will be fine. Everything else needs fixing. The defense needs an attitude adjustment basically they need bite to go with their bark.

I believe this draft will definitely lean defense - I’m guessing 3 of their 4 top picks go defense.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Agree.

A healthy Lawson changes the defense. Adding that extra gear to an already above average DL.

I'm happy with Davis, Mosely, and the youngsters at LB.

A True #1 CB opposite Hall and Carter changes everything. Cupboard is bare at S, unless Joyner and Maye return.

A top C and day 2 RG in the draft, plus a healthy Becton gives our offense its needed foundation.

I could care less about a TE because I'm sick of wasting picks on that position. Kyle Brady, Jonnie Mitchell, Dustin Keller, Doug Jolley, Anthony Becht, Jace Amaro. We ain't finding a gem in the first two rounds ever.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Huh? How can you be happy with the linebackers or say that the defensive line is above average? The two position groups have been massive weaknesses man.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You could be right about 3 of the top 4 picks going to the D. It needs it, but I think it will only be 2 of the top 4. Unless JD signs either a starting RG in FA, or LDT winds up starting the rest of this season and plays at a high level and the Jets decide to bring him back as the starter next season, I think JD will take an OG in the 2nd round, maybe even with his 2nd 1st round pick after trading down. I also think that if he doesn't sign a TE in FA, he will take a TE in the 2nd round. He may do both. He may re-sign Kroft, sign another TE and then draft one.

He could sign another RB in FA, but think it more likely that he drafts one somewhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds. I think the rest of the picks (6 of the 9) will be used on D.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

All my sunnysiding is officially dead. As long as there are alternate explanations for our success on offense I wont believe were as good as the stats. Our success against Cinn was because it was a trap game and we caught them flat. Our success's against the Colts were mostly in garbage time. Maybe our offense is turning a corner but as long as there are asterisks I wont believe its as good as the stats indicate. We got 10 days to prepare. Show me something against Buffalo and I will have faith.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

It's less about stats and more about the fact that the offense looks lively. The offensive line has stabilized a little bit, the receivers are running better routes and the runningbacks are finding some holes.

All of these things were not happening early on in the season. We're not a 450 YPG offense but we have a NFL offense as of the past two weeks.

The play calling is also no longer dumb as fuck and predictable since LaFleur went to his comfortable climate controlled spot in the booth.

KingRoach, abyzmul and Brook! like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

While some of that's true, by far the main change has been a switch to a quick passing game, ball control offense. But the asterisks are still there. Do it without them and I'll believe.

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I agree that a healthy Lawson changes the defense. Add Thibodeaux and then have Lawson, Thibodeaux, Huff and JFM alternating rushing the passer along with Q and Rankins, and our pass rush will be fierce. I'm concerned, however about our run defense. For the past several years the Jets have had a very good run defense. We have better talent this season, but are worse (much worse) vs the run. I don't know if it's some flaw in the scheme, or if Ulbrich is having the DL being too aggressive, or if the DL have been freelancing, not staying disciplined and in their lanes, but that must be addressed somehow, hopefully without using a draft pick. Hopefully, just more discipline and scheme tweaking will fix it. If not, hopefully there will a good-great run-stopping DT available, and we definitely need to re-sign Fatukasi, and maybe give him more snaps and fewer to Rankins. Fatukasi can get pressure on the QB as well.

I disagree regarding our LBs. They have speed, and Mosely's had a couple of big games, but was awful vs the Colts. I don't know that Davis has contributed a whole lot yet, but could be mistaken about that. Saleh loves Sherwood, but I haven't been impressed by him at all. Maybe if he adds 10-15 pounds of muscle, he'd be better, but I'd rather move him back to SS. Nasirildeen has good coverage ability at LB, but he needs to add some weight/muscle, and I think we need to draft a LB in somewhere between the 2nd and 4th rounds.

I think Hall is better than fine as our #1 CB. He is a true #1 CB imo. Would our pass defense be better pairing one of the top CBs in the draft with Hall, and keeping Echols as a key backup? Probably, but that would also ramp up the cap costs down the road, and in this scheme, it isn't necessary. I think the money would be better spent on the front 7 than in the secondary.

The cupboard is definitely bare at S. Maye may return, but I'm not sure about Joyner. I'd like for him to, but at his age and coming off a major injury and with Maye coming off an Achilles, that probably wouldn't be wise. I still have some hopes for Davis, as he did have 10 tackles and 2 FFs vs the Colts, but he needs to improve a lot. As I mentioned earlier, Sherwood could revert to S and that would help, but we may need 2 FSs.

I haven't done much research on draft prospects, but the only C I've heard any raves about is Linderbaum. The Jets seem happy with McGovern. McGovern's weakness is run blocking, so I don't think they'd opt to move him to RG. As much as I'd love to add Linderbaum, I can't see JD using to of our top 4 picks on OL, but he might. I'd be surprised if a good, young RG will hit FA.

TE is an important position in this offensive scheme. While 4-5 good TEs could hit FA, and I'm sure that JD will try to sign one of them, that doesn't mean he will be successful, as none may hit FA, or they may opt to sign with other teams who are already contenders. Hopefully, JD will re-sign Kroft, sign a quality FA TE, and draft a young TE like Wydermyer. That would insure that we have a major upgrade at the position and get quality play from our TEs. You can't let the failures of previous GMs and CSs sway you. They have no bearing on what JD can and will do.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

There's no asterisks for the Bengals game. It ceases to become a trap game when everyone calls it a trap game as soon as the previous Sunday ends and the Bengals weren't looking ahead all too much against a mediocre Browns team with a banged up QB. They weren't playing the Buccaneers the next week even if it was a rivalry.

I'll buy your asterisks against the Colts. But still. How many times over the past decade have we lost games 42-13? We didn't roll over offensively with a third string QB who has played 8 games since 2012 coming into the matchup.

ouchy likes this.
  14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I doubt the Jets will be drafting a TE in the first two rounds - there are far to many other needs. I do see them adding at least one anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th round. The TE position is pretty deep this coming draft especially on the middle rounds.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It will be somewhat dependent on free agency and how the board falls. Having two first round picks with potential high targets in position of desperate need is sweet. OL, Pass rusher, LB, TE for starters. Wonder what draft positions in 2022 have the most depth and talent.

16. NCJetsfan

You could be right, but I doubt it. The TE position is a critical one in this offense. The Jets need a topnotch fast TE who can both catch and block. Those go early these days. While there could be some good TEs available in FA, none of them may be as good as Wydermyer projects to be. It will be interesting to see how JD addresses the position. Regardless, the Jets need a very good TE or two. Add those to our offense and solidify the OL, and our offense should be ready to rock and roll with Zach.

17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Hard to have a functional defense when your DL is getting abused for 60 minutes and 2 out of 3 LBs are absolute scrubs. I understand the love for Quincy Williams; he’s a fun player because he lays the hammer down, but he is not a good LB. Also, Davis is a disgrace to the number #52.

Offensively, we desperately need a RG and TE. RT can also be upgraded but it’s not a pressing concern because you can always help with a TE or RB. Moses has been a solid run blocker but is lackluster in pass protection. Realistically, it’s near impossible to have 5 lineman that are very good at both run and pass blocking. You just need functionality as a unit, which the Jets do not have because Greg Van Rotten is so fucking bad.

#17 NYJFOREVER, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    FJF, Acad23, b.reyes16 and 2 others like this.
  18. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

last 2 weeks the O looked V Good. if we can put up 24 that'd be a victory of sorts...

Bills had trouble vs Miami but pulled away at the end...

I wouldnt expect much of this game ( hope kills)

mrjet80 likes this.
  19. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

The offense needs a FULLBACK. Trevor Wesco just isn't cutting it.....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I expect a better performance from the defense this week, just out of pride. But the Jets do need defensive talent, and that unit will be up and down for the rest of the year for sure. The Jets need a 1st round edge rusher badly in my opinion. Theoretically that gives Carl Lawson, JFM, and the 1st Rounder a 3 man rotation, plus allows JFM to take 3rd down snaps from IDL where he is a superior rusher. It also means when you’re short 1 of them to injury, Huff is still your #3 Edge. Right now JFM is Edge #1 and he’s forced to rush exclusively from the edge too much because if you move him inside, that just leaves Shaq Lawson and Huff as the 2 edge guys. That’s just not good enough. I want to enter 2022 with a rotation of:

1- Carl Lawson
    2- John Franklin-Myers
    3- 1st Round Pick
    4- Bryce Huff
    5- Jabari Zuniga or another guy with physical upside