Mike White Contract 2022

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Nov 5, 2021.

1. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Getting way out in front of my skis here, but I know we have some guys here that have a good idea how contracts etc work.

Let's say Mike White comes back against Buffalo and looks good and for the rest of the season, remains the QB with Zach watching. With White presumably being on some 1 year vet minimum deal now, does he become an unrestricted FA after the year? Or would he be a restricted FA after the year?

I know the franchise tag could always be used, but that would be a lot of money to spend to take another 1 year look at him and it would be hard to determine what kind of contract to give him at the end of the year.

I get we have a lot of season left so looking at the offseason now is premature, but interesting to think about 10 days before Buffalo.

egelband likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he's a RFA which means we can give him a 1st round tender for around 5 mil (not bad for a backup QB) and if a team matches it they have to give us their 1st or we keep him for 5 mil. we could do a 2nd round tender for around 3.5 mil but ti's likely a team matches it. we could also opt for a right of first refusal with no comp but we can match it but thats a bad idea because some team might throw a truckload at him. best thing would be a 1st round tender and see if we could trade him off to a QB needy team.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Anyone notice White gets injured in almost every game he is in? That is a problem. I remember him getting injured in Green Bay, then against the Bengals, now against the Colts. Not what you want from your back-up QB and certainly not what you want from a starter.

egelband, Poeman, ouchy and 3 others like this.
  4. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--he needs to get stronger in the off-season--it's doable.

5. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Tbf, is anyone healthy?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

papapump and JohnnyJet1222 like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is a big point. IMO White's stock fell dramatically last night with that injury. He's got some talent but the guy is made of glass, and that's bad with our o-line.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

White is not going to start the rest of the year. Put the crack pipe down. As soon as Zach is healthy, he will be starting again, and that's as it should be.

White is a RFA next year. The Jets retain his rights as long as they tender him, I believe.

Borat, egelband, LAJet and 1 other person like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

it's a freak injury that is only out the rest of that game. he's good to go for the buffalo game.

with that said, the more important thing is, notice how every jets QB gets injured behind this o-line? GVR is a serious issue that needs to be fixed. JJ did a good job at avoiding contact but there were a few times I was worried he was going down too.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

He’s a Restricted Free Agent after this year. Just tender him with the first round version it will be like $6 million or something. I don’t remember exactly what it is without looking.

10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I like him and he has great chemistry with the guys, we find a way to keep him.

11. GasedAndConfused

this year was 4.677 mil so I said aorund 5 which is cheap for a backup and makes it possible to trade him for a good haul. I'm willing to be a team will give up a 2nd at least if not a 2nd+ for him. hell we got hat much for darnold. i'd move him for picks personally after tendering him. we won't be able to keep him in the open market as a back-up. some team will jimmy g him.

12. MaximusD163

I know we like to get hyped but there is a key skill I haven’t seen from him yet. I’d tender him for a 1st round level but to be honest I’d be surprised if anyone gives up a 2nd unless he shows the ability to put any loft on the ball whatsoever.

FJF, azhar80 and bicketybam like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

2nds were given for jimmy g and matt cassell after a few games. QB is always a need.

14. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Yeah, like Mekhi "Golden Corral" Becton, supposed superstar starting LOT.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

16. MaximusD163

Yeah but they can/could throw a deep ball. I haven’t seen White do that yet

azhar80 likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

jimmy g and cassel both never threw deep balls. they did exactly what white did and not as effectively. cassel went to the chiefs IIRC for a 2nd rounder and jimmy g went to SF for a 2nd rounder and they gave him what was a huge contract at that time.

JetsNation06, azhar80 and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  18. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

This is true

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think you're remembering pretty much the only deep ball Garoppolo has ever thrown in his career when he threw that bomb after he came back from his ACL tear to Goodwin who just lost a baby. That Jimmy G looked incredible to be honest. Then he disappeared and turned into a happy footed pumpkin.

On topic - I'd have to see more out of White to want him here but $5-6 million is cool if that's what the first round tender is.

20. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

And I don’t understand that. I’ve seen Zach in multiple games show he isn’t ready. I’ve seen white in one game, and he did enough to be the starter until he proves otherwise. #2 pick, 5th round pick, doesn’t matter. Who can actually play the position does.