Jets trading for Joe Flacco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Probably but you wouldn't have the sweet jingle of those three dimes in your pocket.

ouchy likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I too would have hurt Zach's feelings if/when Minshew played well and the offense looked competent.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The eagles got Minshew for a 6th. Pretty good deal but he is probably not worth more than a 4th ATM.

Of course the law of supply and demand cause the market to fluctuate dramatically.

4. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Horrible. Should've just resigned him instead....If I was going to trade a pick, I would've traded it for Foles but his salary was probably too expensive.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'd kill to watch a Jets quarterback go 3:1 touchdowns to interceptions. So two picks would be fine for me.

Minshew's done that in both seasons he's played.

ouchy likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

My guess is he is starting next week. Might be off on that. It would be an unusually canny decision to start White instead.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Lol Joe Douglas looks bad on this

Cman68, dmw, SOJAZ and 1 other person like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's not panicking. it's giving the other 52 guys on the roster a fighting chance. The mentor thing is overrated. thats what coaches are for. very few QBs in the NFL ever successfully mentored anyone.

Mogriffjr and westiedog1 like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

For those wondering, Flacco signed a guaranteed 3.5 million contract. The eagles paid half a mil signing bonus so he will cost us a million this season. He has a dead cap hit of 2 million after this season. So we are basically committed to him for 3 million.

(Cap gurus might clarify how the signing bonus carries over and who is on the hook for it next year)

#69 ouchy, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Here's how it makes sense.

From Flacco's POV: I would think he got assurances from mgmt that he would come here and finish out the season as the Jets QB. Otherwise, why would he come here? For 4 games while Wilson heals and then go back to the bench? I don't think so. That means Zach is relegated to sit, watch and learn the rest of this year.

From Jets POV: They get a proven vet who can pump some life into the offense giving the Jets at least a shot at victory. No, he didn't win any games for the Jets, but he did provide some oomph to the offense while Darnold was out. However, remember, then it was a sh&t roster he was playing with. Now, at least, there is some talent, albeit young, that he can work with.

mrjet80 and ouchy like this.
  11. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Thinking about it, it makes sense. Joe Flacco is perfectly capable of handing the ball off twice and throwing the ball into the ground on 3rd down. He'll fit right in.

Ralebird, dmw, SOJAZ and 1 other person like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that makes no sense. flacco was traded. he doesn't get a say. he isn't getting any playing time in philly.

from flacco's POV he gets up to 4 games to earn a starting job next year and more money in the offseason.

from the jets POV we still get a fighting chance wiht zach out.

it's that simple

ouchy likes this.
  13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with the move. He knows the system we run and he's a short term stop gap.

I don't love the 5th round idea, but I'm good with it as a quick solution

14. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Wait, does he know the system?

15. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I too would have preferred Ben Stiller/White Goodman/Garner Minshew, but a trade for Minshew would be tantamount to admitting they made a mistake by drafting Zach. Not gonna happen. He should be starting for Philly right now.

16. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

A truly terrible decision. One of the few decisions Joe D made that has been terrible. The Jets are 1-5 and have no shot at the playoffs. We have Josh Johnson on the practice squad. What's the point of trading draft capital in this situation? Maybe Joe Flacco gives you an extra win or two over Josh Johnson, once he learns the offense, but we're still not making the playoffs, so all it does is it gives us worse draft position and we give up a 6th and maybe a 5th for him. This is feels a lot like a front office panicking and feeling that they have to have a better record than last year dismal record. Wonder what other bad decisions they'll make now?

NCJetsfan, REVISion, Acad23 and 2 others like this.
  17. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Please answer why they didn’t just sign Flacco (or a vet equivalent) in the off-season if they couldn’t trust their other backups to play a few games if/when Wilson got hurt?

Logic says that this a panic move….

papapump, Ralebird and ouchy like this.
  18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I doubt that JF can do better then White because he is not a good fit and maybe a bad fit.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

WTF? You were just complaining we needed a vet. Now you are complaining we got one. Sure you wanted a different guy than Flacco, but conceptually JD did EXACTLY what you asked for. A SB champ too. Damn it if you do, damn it if you don't!

Mogriffjr likes this.
  20. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Same Ol' Jets

too slow; too late; wrong move; wrong guy