Dear Robert Saleh...You are going against a rookie QB... Please show us something

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 22, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Okay but do we have more drops than the league average? I'm just saying I've seen a few key drops that were killer. But not more than other teams have. Maybe I'm missing them? Is there some stats we can compare?

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't know the stats off hand but the eye test with Sunday Ticket + Red Zone on my second and third screens every week tells me that yes we have more drops than the league average. Not to mention the drops are usually at terrible times.

cval and Aero like this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Jones threw for 6.2 yards per attempt in the first meeting and was sacked 3 times. He just didn't make any mistakes like Wilson did.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I found a stats page. It says we are dropping 1.4 passes a game, which is about the league average. Carolina is the league leader with 2.9 drops a game.

What jumps out more is we are 30th in the league in YAC and we have only had a 100 yard receiver one time.

EDIT - Our old friend Robbie Anderson leads the league in dropped passes with 6.

#24 ouchy, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    PJ4Ever and Acad23 like this.
  5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

The stats for drops in inaccurate. Week one when Moore dropped the deep ball that hit him in the chest, pretty sure it wasn't labeled a drop by stats.

Just know the team has dropped a shit ton of passes and it's got to improve.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting stat. Zach has been by far the worst QB in the league when the game is close (one score). His completion percentage is 46% (23 of 50). That's 12.1 points lower than the next lowest. This is greatly hampered by a 27.8 completion percentage in the first quarter.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=&range=AFC&type=Passing&rank=044

If our coordinators can't recognize that we need short high percentage passes to start the game then they must be bananas. If we come out gun slingin in the first quarter tomorrow it better succeed or I will start calling for MLF's head.

#26 ouchy, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Acad23 likes this.
  7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

When they do, they drop it.

NY Jets68 and Cman68 like this.
  8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Ummm...

Why wouldn't we judge the rest of the team, the players, etc..? I don't get this thread.

Of course I'm going to still judge the players, they still need to execute regardless of who Is HC of this team. Just like, of course, the HC needs to have this team playing at a level that Is competitive and effective right now.

It's not one or the other. Wilson, along with the rest of the players on this team, still need to perform at a high level.

PJ4Ever and BacktoQueens like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Spot on.

Zach needs stop pushing and let the game come to him. Sorry to sound so cliche... but that's what I'm seeing.

The playcalling is doing him no favors either. We never play with a lead... forcing us to pass to play catch up.

There was a drive in the Atlanta game that was 100% runs. It was a short field off a long kick return... but it showed the effectiveness of determined run plays.
    The pass heavy game plan should have been abandoned after the Pats game. Zach simply isn't ready for that.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with the last sentence. HCs don't fail after 5 games their rookie season as a HC. That's ridiculous. It won't be a good optic if the Jets play poorly again tomorrow, but not the end of the world as long as by the end of the season Saleh has learned and the team improved and playing better.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You think his wife writes the scripts?

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He didn't make mistakes because Belichik doesn't tolerate mistakes for long. The game plan is conservative and then Jones is conservative inside that because he doesn't want to sit down for awhile.

If he was playing like Wilson is he would no longer be the Pats starter. They'd have him on the sidelines watching how a real NFL QB works and they'd have acquired a guy to make sure they had the example available.

One of the Jets problems right now is they have no alternative to Zach Wilson. That means he gets to stay on the field no matter how badly he is playing and nobody ever learned anything from that kind of opportunity.

If you aren't afraid that every snap might be your last you better be great because realistically you're playing with currency you do not possess for very long.

HomeoftheJets, ouchy and papapump like this.
  13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I agree with everything you say but let me explain the bolded.

What do we always hear about Bellichick. He always comes up with a game plan to confuse rookies and make life hell for them. Why did we hire Saleh? Because his defense was rock solid while at San Francisco. I was at the Patriots game at Metlife. It was Wilson who was extremely confused and it was Mac playing as if he was a seasoned pro.

Now, I am not saying Saleh should make Wilson look like a pro but what I am hoping from our defensive genius coach is to make Mac look like a rookie. I hope I am not asking too much from him. For once, let's take advantage of going against a rookie. Hence the thread.

14. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

And the fact still remains.... If you fail in this scenario you've FAILED being a HC 101

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The problem with this thread is that Belichick is also facing a rookie, and history shows he’s one of the best at making them look like a rookie.

Let’s hope Saleh also makes Jones job difficult, but ultimately one of these QBs will have to find a way to make some plays, which could be the difference in game.

The Patriots dink and dunk offense has always been very QB friendly, we should be trying some of that also.

16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

There is no possible way that Feeney is worse than Van Roten.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That is NOT a fact, so no fact remains!!! That is YOUR opinion, not fact.

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

thus far 1 out of 5 isn't bad right? right?

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This is absolutely disgusting. I think this is the first time this defense has seen a screen.

94Abraham and REVISion like this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Saleh sucks. Not good at the nuances like clock management and 4th down decisions and he doesn't prepare the team to play. This team is consistently gutless.

94Abraham and Jonathan_Vilma like this.