AVT getting better every week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 12, 2021.

1. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Yup, plus consider the cap space that was saved as well...... great deal for the Jets.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I mean wasn’t it said that AVT was graded as the best at his spot?

I believe your hatred for GVR is clouding judgement here, and we def all agree that GVR is the weak link on the line.

But on the basis of this exercise, AVT was rated the best guard in the class and is playing like the best at his spot amongst rookies and hell, I believe in total.

any of the guys you mentioned are hurt and Darrishaw just came back. And honestly who knows if he would have been kicked inside to play guard as Fant/Becton/ and Moses are still on the Jets for example.

You’re now moving a guy who’s not use to playing that spot. Or you potentially move one of the tackles who aren’t use to playing inside at guard to that spot.

Again the major need was interior OL and the Jets went and grabbed the best one during the draft. I’m still not seeing the downside.

If you want to ding JD for RG then fine, GVR has been bad, Feeney showed me nothing in preseason to even think he could do better. Clark badly hurt himself and he was a potential guard replacement and McDermott, the super sub, has been out for about two months.

But the Jets potentially have two franchise guys in Becton (injury or not he still is viewed highly) and AVT, solid vets like Moses/Fant/McGovern. I’ll take it

NCJetsfan, Borat and Noam like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I had no issue making the trade on draft day and even less of an issue now. He’s playing at a high level having missed all of camp and preseason. He’s basically 5 weeks into his career. I’ll take the sure thing over the two “maybe” guys that we could have drafted in the third round.

4. Mogriffjr

I enjoy how he gets to the second level of the defense. Becton is a MAULER, now he has someone infinitely better then the likes that he had next to him last year. The Jets should be running a TON towards Becton/AVT side in a few weeks.

Noam likes this.
  5. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

In general I'm not a fan of trading up but if you need to get a solid instant piece to protect your rookie quarterback the calculus can change. It would be more concerning if (1) there was a pattern of wasting draft capital and (2) if we had little to no draft capital to spare. We've had a war chest of draft capital the last two drafts and next year will be the largest yet.

AVT is currently looking like a great pick at a position of need, I'm not going second guess a decision they made too hard when they got it right. The big question into next offseason will be is McGovern's play worthy of a $10 million cap hit next year. If the answer is "no" as I personally anticipate, Linderbaum with a high 1st is a real option but the value play for a plug-and-play center tends to be in the later 1st, early 2nd round. Even a high 2nd is premium draft pick for the position. There should be a serviceable guard to replace Van Roten in FA, even on a short term deal, and use a 3rd or 4th rounder to be a depth/developmental IOL. Sign one of Fant/Moses for a multi year deal. I'm a big OL guy but even I find the prospect of having 4 1st round picks on OL pretty ludicrous.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Who is the comparable guard to AVT that we would have gotten?

#66 Cromartie's_kid, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Noam likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hair looks pretty comparable to me.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

McGovern started very poorly, but his play lately has been as good as AVT's. He is ranked #6 overall C by PFF. If he keeps this up, I say 10 mil is well worth it and our C problems could be solved with focus being the right side: RG and RT

Noam, GasedAndConfused and K'OB like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yessir! If JD uses the other Seattle pick to get a top RG, he basically traded Jamal for a top Oline all on rookie contracts....!

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Another article on how good AVT has been playing. What I really liked was our rbs are getting 1.14 yds before contact running behind AVT but only only 0.46 everywhere else on the line. More than double behind AVT. When Becton comes back those two will be a force in the run game.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/10/26/alijah-vera-tucker-shines-ny-jets/

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

cval, NCJetsfan, NoodleArm and 3 others like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he was good yesterday but he got beat on that play so its a weird example

13. BroadwayAaron

I just had to click my own link to make sure we are looking at the same play. We are.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he benefitted from the quick out play. the blitzer was in the backfield practically before he was out of his stance. He threw his arms desperately at him, luckily White got it out before he was sacked. Although the blocking scheme was poorly called, which likely wasnt his fault. Probably White's or McGovern's as they bit on the other (fake) Cinci blitzer on the other side.

Just an average run of the mill quick out pass play on the line, surely AVT had better highlights than that one

15. Mogriffjr

eh that’s why it was a helluva block/effort. Legit what DJ said lol. He basically gave white enough time initially blocking the one guy and then blocking the other so he wouldn’t get in the lane. He’s that quick to be able to recover just in time to give White what he needed.

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He blocked two guys on that play and displayed great athleticism. It was definitely worth highlighting.

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

AVT is going to be a long time starter on this roster.

He has gotten progressively better every single game

Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

He threw one defender off course and then put another defender on his ass all within about two seconds. He basically handles a double team while his colleagues to his right needed to double-team one person. That is most definitely not an average run of the mill pass blocking set.

19. BroadwayAaron

I really hope at some point Becton can stay healthy for more than 8 snaps at a time because logic says the left side of our line should be elite if so.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

AVT blocks two dudes, GVR blocks no one. Can’t think of a better example of how important AVT is as well as moving on from GVR or fixing whatever the hell is causing this.

NCJetsfan likes this.