AVT getting better every week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The Jets have almost a full ypc running behind AVT than anywhere else on the line. Imagine how much better it will be when Becton gets back. AVTs play has already made McGovern better he should help Becton be better too. Hopefully Fant can keep up his good pass protection at RT.

Borat, Brook!, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I doubt Becton is back in 2021

3. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

For me, no one (majority of fans) notices OL until they are told about i, especially the inside OL positions.

It's a real not sexy pick isn't it. Hard to create excitement with a big interior OL in the first round, so much so he'll have to be a pro bowler from the get go to get praise.

Fwiw, I love the pick and the player. Not arsed about them thirds it took to get there either. This beast will play for 10 years here and in 2 years time the majority of fans will be loving him.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

CotcheryFan, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

5. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I was never worried about AVT--Daniel Jeremiah labeled him the safest player in the draft this year. Even more than TL

Getting Linderbaum next year would really turn this thing around with the line

BacktoQueens, NCJetsfan, Noam and 3 others like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What praise should he get for this trade? AVT has to become a great player for the trade to even be considered not totally bad. We gave up 3 top picks for one player.

Lets look at it this way. Minn drafted a tackle, guard, and their backup and perhaps future QB with our picks. That's one side of a line and a QB for one guard. I'm sure you realize that as a rebuilding team we could have used those picks. Its great that AVT is progressing but that doesn't make it a smart trade.

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Darrisaw had surgery in camp and missed it. How has he looked bad? He had his first start yesterday and allowed zero pressures in 89 snaps against the Panthers, and was rated Minns top linemen by pff.

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is the correct take.

The point is not that the AVT trade might end up working out for us, the point is that most of the time that trade will yield less value than keeping the picks. Doing things that are -EV eventually catches up to teams.

ouchy likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am sorry, but Darrisaw missing games dut to injury (after he was injury prone in College) and being ranked 44th tackle by PFF is not exactly a ringing endorsement when the guy we got is ranked top 15 among Guards and keeps improving. Also, let's get the facts straight. We did get a pick back from Vikings, which we used, so we spent 2 picks total to get him. And so far given what Darrisaw has done compared to AVT it looks like a great move. Especially if you consider Teven Jenkins, who most like we would have to draft without AVT in fold, is out for the whole year.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Mogriffjr

Quantity doesn't mean it will be quality...because AVT is likely the team's best offensive linemen by far. I remember someone here mentioned he'd have to become Nelson and I don't even agree with that in order for the trade to be success...but he's surely showing the smarts, footwork and strength to become a top tier guard in this league. Darrishaw and whoever they drafted, and their backup QB still may not amount to what AVT could be. Get me the best players and go from there.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Mogriffjr

Saleh said he's a few weeks away. But will have a concrete answer as time goes by here.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm just glad we didn't spend 10 first round picks on DeShaun Watson and then the rape allegations came out. That would have been totally Jets.

Cromartie's_kid, Acad23 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Most of the time JD doesn't do trades like this. Other trades I recall was actually to get more picks. This was a unique scenario where it appears he thought he was getting a special talent, and so far it is working out very well, particularly given two other lineman that were drafted late first/early second contributed very little. Though I do think Darrisaw if he stays healthy can be a good player, he plays same position as Becton and wasn't really a need. Jenkins, who was a need at G, is out for the year, so this trade helped dodge that bullet. Overall right now looks like a really good move by JD.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The average hit rate on draft picks from various rounds is quantifiable, as is the fact that basically no GM ever has consistently outdrafted any other over a long enough time frame. With that in mind, the only way to really win the draft is by having more picks.

The numbers say that generally the AVT trade was a bad idea.

I'll put it this way - let's say you can play one game where you have a 40% chance to win $1,000 and another game where you have a 30% chance to win $2,000. It never makes sense to play the first game instead of the second one. There will be times where you'll play the first one and win and play the second one and lose but that doesn't mean it's ever a smart decision to play the first one instead of the second one.

15. FrontOfficeFanatic

Man oh man--if we somehow landed Linderbaum and Kenyon Green in the draft. I would be fine with that scenario. Two bulletproof prospects and are considered elite. Both from programs that are winning this year as well.

Becton, AVT, Linderbaum, Green, Fant/Moses -- you probably keep Moses and Fant still so you have a swing tackle

You save cap by cutting McGovern and Van Roten as well--you can use cap space on weapons.

This would really be solidifying the Oline for the foreseeable future.

Noam likes this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

That is a dream scenario but I would be happy to draft Linderbaum even though I expect JD to hedge his bets and sign a FA RG before drafting at least one OL. I think it is likely he makes a strong push for Scherff to add a solid veteran presence.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Fun to dream about, but I don't see two OL being taken in round 1 next year. An edge rusher who can be our next Abraham should be a high priority. Lawson is injury prone and JFM is a solid, but not great player.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  18. FrontOfficeFanatic

I would be ok with an olineman and an edge rusher--

If we came away with Thibodeoux or Drake Jackson and Linderbaum or Green, for example, that would be a first round dream as well.

It all starts with the lines--Dallas is proving that now.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

While I don't think it's out of the question for a guy like Douglas to take 2 top 10 OL in the draft, I don't know if I see them passing on blue chip EDGE talent in this draft after drafting 2 offensive players in 2021.

The Jets should be stockpiling as much superior talent in the defensive front 4 as they can, they need that perpetual murder machine to keep the defense going.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO Linderbaum would certainly help, but if GVR is still at RG, we'll still have a major problem. Were you thinking kick McGovern over to RG, or signing a FA RG or drafting one?