I think Mike LaFleur is taking way too much heat

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Oct 11, 2021.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0211014-ae75pbtlwveevluc2af536xn7q-story.html

Good article by DJ here.

For those that don't want to read it, he gives 4 ways that he believes the offense can improve.

1) Involve Elijah Moore in the offense more. This seems like a no-brainer, Elijah has to be a huge part of the offense going forward. Find ways to get the ball in his hands, period.

2) Run more 11 personnel and less 12 personnel. Again, no-brainer IMO because we don't have good enough TE's to run 12 personnel. The stats also show that we play better out of 11 than 12.

3) Run outside more. Highlights how effective our RB group is so far at running outside the tackles.

4) Play Mims more. Again, no-brainer, idc how good of a gunner Jeff Smith is, he should never be active over a guy like Mims. Small sample size but Mims has also produced when he's on the field. Give him more reps over guys like Cole and Crowder who may not be a part of the Jets future.

2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Actually, according to the coaching staff, he was selected b/c he was the QB that best fit the offense.

legler82 likes this.
  3. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas has no say in who is hired for coaches. That's Robert Salehs decision. If he trusted Robert Saleh to be the HC, he has to trust him to assemble his own staff. Or else he doesn't trust him and he wouldn't have hired him in the first place.....

Your problem is you're just way too impatient. I know all about the Jets sucking a fat one. I've been angry at this incompetent organization for years, but EVERYONE deserves a fresh slate. Joe Douglas as 3 more years and 4 more drafts before his contract is up. I want to see this thing through. You should also....

cval likes this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The reason Wilson was drafted was his ability to consistently make plays withiin the structure of the offense. This was his strength. The off platform plays is just a bonus. But the ability to consistently execute the routine plays of the offense is where he shined at BYU and put himself ahead of other prospects.

He consistently showed this ability throughout camp and in pre-season. It is only after game 1 where he has started pressing and having diffuculty making the routine plays. But this is not just him it is everyone on the offense. The WRs press and drop balls, the OL struggled and Zach tries to do too much. When one player makes a play it makes it easier on everyone. Finding a rhythm and confidence has been the challenge for Zach and every player on the offense. While game 5 was IMO his worst game you can see progress every game. Things will get better and eventually things will click for the offense. But, it's not one player that needs to improve it is everyone.

REVISion, dmw and cval like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am too impatient ? really ? so how old are you son ..born in 1970? We last won a SB a year before you were born rofl

Ok ..see how long this choice of Salah works out. Don't forget we have been looking at fresh slates for 11 years. You missed my point if you have been following my Posts. I want a GM who is willing to change and shake things up not be married to his choice of Salah /LeFleur . What games were you impressed that this CS can get it done ? So its one game against the Titans vs 4 other flops. Today the Yankees let go of two long standing Coaches. Come the end of this Season Try try try another way

6. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

The loss of coach Knapp is a massive massive issue right now. We appointed Cavanaugh to replace him and nobody has mentioned his name once, player, coach, beat writer, poster's here, nobody mentinos him, does the guy actually exist and if so what does he actually do?
    I had hoped they would bring in Steve Young tbh, I know it's another coaching rookie but if they had identified Knapp as the best person to develop ZW, then I thought someone who had been coached extensively by him and who already had a relationship with ZW and was a bit of a mentor to him already, may have worked better then the guy who was qb coach to Mark Sanchez

#86 GreenWhiteandGold, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    cval likes this.
  7. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

This is absurd. You can't fire the HC you chose after only 5 games? That's ridiculous. Douglas would NOT have hired a newbie to the coaching ranks of he was going to be so impatient that he's willing to fire the HC after only 5 games. Even if he was going to take the Dan Snyder route, he would still wait until the end of this season to fire Saleh.

cval likes this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We just fired our coaching staff. The new staff are 5 games in. Should we evaluate the coaching staff after each game and make a keep/fire decision every Monday? Jets go through 15 coaches in one season, at least they are trying!

I am baffled by some of these takes. How about we just keep somethings to ourselves.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think the preseason was like BYU in that Zach was the best player on the field. But once the regular season started, he was no longer the best player, and he had no experience playing with people his level or better, so his game has fallen apart. And he's different from other QBs from weaker programs in that his game is so heavily reliant on gunslinging, which doesn't work when you're playing against guys better than you. This was my biggest concern with him, but I didn't think it would manifest anywhere near this extent.

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Or he is a rookie QB in the NFL. He played what 2 quarters in the preseason?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You lose a game in London by 7 points and the fan base loses it's mind. It is interesting.

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

What it comes down to is that Saleh has failed to fulfill his promise to Zach that the "organization is going to lift you".

-The kid is getting mugged on every other snap of the football.
    -The play designs by LaFleur are half baked... slow developing with a shitty O-line?
    -The receivers haven't lived up to the hype.
    -There's little run support... averaging 74 yds. per game.
    -Our defense is average at best.

I'm not saying Wilson hasn't played like crap... he has... but it's obvious he's playing under duress and he's not getting enough support from the team
    around him... from the GM to the coaches to the players.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

Read last line>>>come the end of the season try another way , not tomorrow lol

Ftmr you should evaluate the CS after every game..why not?

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It's like living in a hippy commune where everybody smells.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

Read the Post

And please read the last line . I said " try try again come end of Season " like the Yankees just did when their run ended.

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Cut him and do what? Bring in who?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

You saw the game Dark. Except for Garbage Time the Jets had no pulse

John Franklyn Myers trying to cover Pitts?

What makes you think the next game or the one after that will be different?

There are people heaving because the celebrated Coaching staff is looking very inconsistent

18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sarcasm

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

They are 5 games in. This is why the Jets suck. Fire everybody started again.

20. NYJetsO12

Cval is ok keeping the horrendous coaches for months but cut Zach ..yeah that's consistent