No two ways about it...Zach laid an egg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 19, 2021.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Anyone else starting to get just a little bit tired of passes hitting intended receivers in the ankles?

REVISion and Acad23 like this.
  2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with this.

3. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

1 step forward, 2 steps backwards for the young kid. What concerns me is the inconsistent play and tendency to miss on the easy plays. The big flashy plays that get talked about all week on ESPN are nice, but he won't elevate to the next level until he starts consistently making those easy 5 yard throws and those medium range throws down the middle. It feels like once a week there is a play where CD is running in stride across the middle and ZW throws the ball behind him and he can't come up with it; I know CD is the number 1 and it would be nice if he came away with those throws, but at some point you have to ask when the QB is going to allow him to make the play in stride so he can also get a nice amount of YAC?

Ralebird, REVISion, sozopol and 3 others like this.
  4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I think that this is something that's been overlooked quite a bit. There's been a lot of talk about wanting LaFleur to make the throws shorter and easier for Wilson (from myself included), but we've seen quite a bit of evidence so far that this is not where his strengths are as a QB. Too many misses on the short, easy throws. For all of the faults that LaFleur has thus far, and he does have his fair share (although I think he's improving), I think you're on to something with there at least being a method behind why things are unfolding this way with regards to the passing game.

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

defense was tired by then thanks to Zach being horrible... He Played like garbage. The fact we were still in it in the 4th is a because of the defense not because of Zach. Zach sucked today.... LMAO. What spin cycle is your wash set to?

sozopol likes this.
  6. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I'd say a big part of it was the offense getting bailed out by a great kick return from Tevin and the big PI call on Moore. Without that, ZW and the offense score about 6 points this week.

REVISion, papapump, jets_fan and 2 others like this.
  7. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I blame coaching staff more than Wilson, and D was decent, too soft on 3rd down. Our OC just mot good enough! Wilson is learning, and a lot of rookie mistakes. Needs to make the easy throws. Too many 3 and outs to start the games. Sets bad tone. Bottom line is OC needs to set him up for success.

KY Jets Fan and zace like this.
  8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

This times 100. Anyone expecting a rookie QB to come in and dominate is nuts, especially on a team as devoid of talent as the jets.

No rookie qb this year looks that amazing. They're all doing the same things.

KY Jets Fan and Royal Tee like this.
  9. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

this is true, but in no way does it let the offense off the hook. Offense was AT LEAST 50% of the problem today

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Yes. The defense played great. Put down the crack pipe. Jesus.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The average NFL team in 2020 scored 24.7 points per game. We have up 2.3 points more than that and scored 4.7 below that. Which unit failed more?

On top of the fact that we played a dog shit defense.

jets_fan likes this.
  12. bicketybam

Does being down 17-0 affect how the opposing defense plays? They went down by 17 with Zack not doing anything wrong.

We had the ball twice and we were down 17.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

We didn't gain a first down until mid way through the second quarter. You think that doesn't hurt the defense?

Again, stop being so desperate to defend Wilson and be right about him and let your eyes tell the story. You're very obviously still holding on to the spring arguments about who we should draft.

It's October, bro. Get over it. We all want Wilson to succeed. But he was horrible today. The defense being bad too doesn't change that.

legler82, Ralebird and Acad23 like this.
  14. bicketybam

The Falcons had the ball for like 13 minutes in the 1st quarter, lol.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

This thread is about Zach Wilson and you're whining about the defense. Yes. Defense was bad. Acknowledged. Everyone gets it. Talk about the quarterback play in the quarterback thread.

16. bicketybam

Being down 17-0 after 2 offensive possessions doesn't affect QB play, the opposing defensive okay calling or the play offensive calling (which was horrendous?)

You call me singularly focused. Please.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Could've been 10-7 if our quarterback didn't play atrocious the first five times he touched the ball. But hey, you keep blaming the guy who hit his brakes to avoid hitting a deer while you were tailgating him and rear-ended him.

18. bicketybam

Tell me how it could have been 10-7. You have me intrigued.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Well the Falcons had the ball twice, while the Jets had the ball twice as well in the first four possessions. The Falcons scored twice (field goal and touchdown) while the Jets scored zero times and ran six offensive plays for 16 total yards and punted twice.

Is it that difficult of a concept? If we punch a touchdown in on one of our two offensive possessions it's 10-7 after the Falcons second possession.

20. bicketybam

Oh ok. So if we scored on every possession we win :\

What exactly did Wilson do wrong in the first 2 possessions?