2021 - Week 4: New York Jets vs Tennessee Titans

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 26, 2021.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Oct 3, 2021.
  1. Jets

12.7%
  2. Titans

87.3%
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I went and ahead and rewatched every play and here are my observations as to why we had better protection:
    1. Wilson - He did not hold the ball long. It was one hitch and out or he would run. I only saw one example of him holding the ball too long long. This is a huge improvement.
    2. No interior pressure absent the sack there was very little interior pressure.
    3. Wilson scrambling On the times he was pressured he quickly left the pocket. He made a few very nifty moves when it looked like he would get sacked.
    Adding in what I have read:
    4. Improved play by backs and TEs. Only one pressure.
    5. Continued good play by Fant
    6. Much improved play by AVT with zero pressures.
    7. McGovern and GVR continued to struggle but nowhere near as many pressures as other games.

My overall thoughts is the improvement came mainly from Zach getting the ball out quickly and some excellent moves avoiding rushers. One thing we did not see this week was Zach trying to step up or slide in the pocket to extend plays. It was simply throw the ball in one hitch or run. I noticed I did not see Zach throw any balls away but I saw more errant throws. The lack of interior pressure was also huge.

The big improvement here seems to be from an adjustment by Zach and the CS. The pass protection was not great as there were far too many pressures for as quickly as he was getting rid of the ball but as a team they found away to manage the problem better. I think the overall problem is the lack of a running game as everything in this system is based on running the ball successfully. Somehow they need to find a way to slow down the rush. Maybe the big plays from him scrambling will make rushers more hesitant. But, long term this offense needs to run the ball. Maybe, successfully passing the ball will setup the run eventually. It still looks like a big problem to me.

#201 Noam, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    NCJetsfan and GreenWhiteandGold like this.
  2. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. What jumps out at me and your the third poster to mention it, is the lack of interior pressure from the Titans. So if Atalanta bring that pressure, then there is every chance that we end up back in the same terrible OL play we have found ourselves in previously?

barfolomew and Noam like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The OL should get better as the season goes on in picking up blitzes and on stunts. That is where most of the interior pressure comes from. The sack was a stunt where a free runner went straight through the A gap. Free runners up the middle are the worst kind of rush (see the 1st INT against the Pats) and mostly unavoidable. As they play together they should get better at picking these up. The backs had zero pressures. The TEs only had one (Griffin). They did a much better job.

As fast as Wilson was getting rid of the ball Sunday it negated most interior rush unless someone was unblocked. With Wilson not trying to step up in the pocket, slide or extend plays in the pocket the only interior rush that could reach him was someone being unblocked.

#203 Noam, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The good thing IMO is that Atlanta's pass rush might be even worse than the Titans' is/was. Outside of Grady Jarrett, who admittedly is a very good player, they don't have much especially on the interior. They have some pieces, Oluokun is a promising young player at LB, Deion Jones, AJ Terrell, Fabian Moreau, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be clicking for them so far.

They're last in scoring defense (128), 10th worst in yards allowed (1533), and tied for last in passing TD's allowed (11). This will be the worst defense we've played to date so I'm really hoping for a fun game to watch, even if it is at 9:30am on Sunday morning.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I noticed that on the TD pass to Davis where Zach rolled right, Kroft initially blocked his man well, but then released and drifted out a couple of yards where there were two defenders. IMO that was useless. His man continued to pursue Zach and got there right after Zach threw the pass. IMO Kroft should have stayed with his man

6. NCJetsfan

Yes, I'll be curious to see if Saleh and Ulbrich allow CJ to change the play again. IMO they should, but Saleh sounded a little offended/peeved or maybe just really surprised/shocked that Mosely had had the balls to change the play as no other LB had done that before in his system.

PJ4Ever, Mogriffjr and Noam like this.
  7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sounds beautiful.....

My brother and his wife unexpectedly showed up the other day. He brought a big bag of bluefin with him. The whole family pigged out on sunday after the JETS game :cool:

barfolomew likes this.
  8. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

whered ya pull this one out of???

barfolomew likes this.
  9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Saleh mentioned that in his presser

PJ4Ever, Losmeister and Noam like this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

11. NCJetsfan

The postgame interview with Saleh on Sunday. See my post on p. 10, #192. Click on the video of Saleh. It will take you to Twitter and you can hear/see his comments/reaction.

Losmeister likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know you're responding to someone else but it looks like you're saying that Saleh mentioned Stinkyb's brother's big bag of tuna.

barfolomew likes this.
  13. Losmeister

been consuming WAY less sports media over the past 2 weeks on purpose

@NCJetsfan no offense intended

barfolomew likes this.
  14. Losmeister

took day off

2 outta the top 10 this year

KY Jets Fan and barfolomew like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

No problemo. I've been doing that as well. If we had lost this past Sunday, I probably would have gone nowhere near Jets twitter this week. I know you well and know that no offense was intended and none was taken, my friend.

barfolomew and Mogriffjr like this.
  16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Again, so far the coaching staffs biggest flaw - the strict adherence to their “systems”

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

crazy as hell but PFF has fant rated top 5 for OTs this year in pass protection. moses is holding his own at RT and AVT went from worst pass blocker to not allowing a pressure. Plus becton comes back in a month. I think we would be pretty set if we just replace GVR and keep moses as well.

18. Losmeister

cool.

but it was just in case. cos, one can transpose ANY tone onto a bunch of tyyped words.

:):)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Zach, Wilson, and Winston all doubled up.

Wilson’s throw while rolling to his right was damn impressive thought. Best throw by a Jets QB in years.

Many, many years.

NCJetsfan and Losmeister like this.