The 2021 Jets and Beyond have a Bright Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 23, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Maybe Saleh needed another season as a DC so he could learn to cede some control and become more well rounded.

3. NCJetsfan

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, Huff really has been impressive. This thread is about the future, and I can't help but think about how good this defense can be in the future. Add a few pieces in Free Agency and the Draft, get Carl Lawson back, they could eventually be elite. We have not even seen how Jarrad Davis looks yet too. Exciting times! I think the defense will continue to improve this season with the roster the Jets currently have too.

Love the effort they gave yesterday to try to keep Henry in check.

NYJetsO12, Falco21, Mogriffjr and 2 others like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

The thing is, they may not be able to do much in FA. I know the Jets have something like the 3rd most cap space available next year, but they also have quite a few starters and key players who will be FAs: JFM, Maye, Fatukasi, Cole, Crowder, Davis, Moses, Kroft, McDermott, Joyner, Neasman, Berrios, White, Shepherd, Phillips, and Jeff Smith. That's 4 of their WRs and 3 of their DL.

https://overthecap.com/free-agency/new-york-jets/

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep, Joe Douglas will have tough decisions to make. I think some of those guys won't return, and perhaps he signs a free agent or two that are better scheme fits for LaFleur/Saleh. We will see though. A lot of season left.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I agree. Unless something dramatic happens to change things, I think that JFM and Fatukasi are MUST re-signs/extends. I think Berrios, White, and probably Jeff Smith will be back. McDermott could be back as he has flexibility and will be cheap. Unless his play falls off a cliff, I hope that Moses will be back unless he wants too much money. Whether Kroft is back could depend upon how many of the other TEs make it to FA (there could be quite a few who are better than Kroft) and how much money they want. It will be interesting.

Noam likes this.
  8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The #Jets have two of the top-20 CBs in the NFL in terms of PFF coverage grade.

• Bryce Hall: 73.8 (16th)
    • Michael Carter II: 72.8 (19th)

Both fantastic finds in the 5th round.

Echols has been good too, gotta say you don’t need to grab corners in the first, they’ve found treasures late. Still have Pinnock, Dunn who can’t sniff the field because the top 4 have played well.

mrjet80 and Noam like this.
  9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yes we should slobber over the performances and progress of these trench guys that were not heralded draft picks......

its good to see the jets finally getting some production BUT imagine how effective these guys would be if we had a couple elite D players that could garner the bulk of the attention of opposing offenses.

hopefully these guys continue to progress and we can garnish the unit with a stud or 2 from the next draft.

along with re-upping guys like fatu and shep.

lets see - jet history shows that when they have a unit that's on the cusp of becoming very good - all sorts of shit happens that we just cant explain.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I love watching Bryce Hall in coverage, the more confidence he gets, the more predatory he looks, he really has the ability and instincts to stay with most receivers and get good leverage on them.

If MC2 stays on his current course I think our top 3 CBs will eventually stick as Hall/MC2/Guidry(slot).

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I highly doubt we re-sign Maye now. I think JFM and Foley are musts to be re-signed but I'm pretty meh on the rest of that list. Would be nice to get Cole, Crowder, and Guidry back on reasonable deals, maybe Moses, Davis, Joyner, and Kroft too depending on how they play the rest of the year.

I still think we roll into FA with around 40-50M. All gonna depend on how much we have to fork up for JFM.

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Its still early but I have been super impressed with all of these young CBs and even more impressed with the scouting that found these guys. If this keeps up there will be no reason to draft a CB high this coming draft and they can save those premium picks for other positions of need.

Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I agree regarding Maye. I definitely think Guidry should be back as well. I love Crowder, but I'd be surprised if they bring him back. I'd be surprised if he wants to come back after JD pretty much forced him to take a pay cut. If Moses plays well the rest of the year, he should definitely be back as depth if nothing else, if not the starter at RT. I think they like Joyner, but after his injury, they may just look to get someone younger. Kroft should be cheap, but I see him as the #2 or #3 TE. Davis, I don't care about one way or the other.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

right but how much are those guys going to cost? they've already pretty much decided they aren't going to pay Maye and Crowder. The rest of them are cheap. I dont even know who Neasman even is

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. Mogriffjr

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Really impressed with the team JD is putting together. A LOT of very young talent he has found in both the draft and free agency.

If our offense can continue producing like they did against Tennessee, we can have a really good team soon. This defense with Lawson back and another few pieces added in the draft can be elite! It is a lot of fun watching these guys run around on Sundays!

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think we resign Crowder. Granted, I want to see how he performs with Moore back in the lineup. I was against paying him previously, but after watching his performance on Sunday and seeing his connection with Wilson, I am all for paying him to maintain the weapons and allow Wilson to continue growing with his guys.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I wholeheartedly agree. That's why I cannot understand for the life of me some Jets fans claiming that JD has done a horrible job, there's no talent on this team, he sucks in FA, etc. It's utter insanity!

Falco21 and Noam like this.
  19. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

I'm thinking:

JFM- Most obvious candidate for a big, long term deal. Sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. Probably won't get superstar money but going off Saleh's priority on pass rushers and JFM being healthy, young, and motivated it seems like a no brainer.

Fatukasi- Hoping he gets a deal, especially considering he might be the most likely to take a team friendly deal to get guaranteed money and play for his home town team. Might depend on how Saleh sees the long term scheme fit for a big, run stuffing DT but I think there's a place for him long term if the money is right.

Fant/Moses- Seems like a lock that one of them is going to get a deal but it's hard to see them both getting one. I think they sign a 3-4 round developmental tackle.

WR's- Don't have any insight into who will stay and who will go TBH.

Interior OL- Unless Connor McGovern really pulls it together I can't imagine we're going to take a $10 million cap hit next year vs $1.3 million dead cap for his level of play. Van Roten needs to be ejected from MetLife via medieval siege equipment. Assume we sign one middle of the road vet and spend a late day 1/early day 2 pick on a center.

Safety- Not much insight there either but we'll have to replace Maye sooner or much sooner.

The great thing is that (assuming Becton gets back to form) that the positions you generally need to take high--QB, tackle, edge rush, corner (scheme dependent)--Largely have answers at least in the short-medium term. We have a ton of picks between the late 1st to 4th rounds this year, which is the ideal place to get plug-and-play starters at our positions of need--TE, Interior OL, safety. If there's a no brainer value pick in round 1 you can still take an edge rusher, corner, etc because we can still stand to add elite talent to either but you can also stand to take, for example, an alpha-dog WR or trade down for more draft capital if the price is right. The impact of having a lot of the DL and basically the entire secondary playing well on dirt cheap rookie contracts is hard to overstate for the draft and cap flexibility going forward.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Well it speaks to me that the coaching is better now.

The GM goes out and gets the players but the coaches and the scouting staff really go out and do the dirty work to get the players needed to make schemes work. For example, Saleh was confident in going in with a completely young and inexperienced secondary, moreso at corner where they had little to no experience on the roster.

So in the past, was JD bad? or good? or the staff that he gave Gase and crew just couldn't coach up to their potential? There's guys that can mostly overcome scheme, like Quinnen who can be a beast on any other team. But what would a Quincy Williams do on last year's team for example?

Acad23 likes this.