Was Defense good against the Titans or am I being delusional?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Long season ahead of us so today was a great win at home. Quiets the noise and actually generates positives. 1-3 with 14 games left. The Jet Offense still is a work in progress although it was great not to see Sack Wilson yesterday. LeFleur is still learning on the job so there will be ups and downs so lets hand him his mulligan now and simply watch how the Offense develops in '21. As far as the D is concerned, they proved yesterday they belong in the NFL. They will become a force one day soon. At the very least they'll keep the Jets in games unless they spend too much time on the field.

Consistency.. Keep doing one thing until you master it. Then on to the next thing..

mrjet80 and Brook! like this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I agree to an extent. I don't think he wore our defense down at all. I think the time of possession did and our offense struggling at the start. Eventually that caught up to everyone

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Tannrhill trying to recover from his 6th sack: "How the fuck are these guys winless??? Damn"

4. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Not trying to be the negative Nelly here, buuut... they are not THAT good.

When was the last time a Jet defense caused a turnover?
    When was the last time a Jet defense was able to protect a lead in the 4th quarter instead of letting the opponent run up and down the field as they did yesterday, right after they took the lead each time.

I do agree the DCS has done wonders with what we have on the roster, but lets pump the brakes a bit on this group, but they still have trouble against the run and can never get off of the field on 3rd down. I site the 3rd & 21 yesterday in Q2 that TN converted with a screen pass that drove me bonkers, along with the ease of tying the game twice in the 4th. We were lucky as heck that Bullock missed the FG otherwise the narrative this morning would be way different.

#44 AndyDrums, Oct 4, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    mrjet80 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With the way that both Huff and JFM are playing, and with Carl Lawson back (and maybe Shaq Lawson too), the need for an Edge is greatly diminished if Huff and JFM keep it up. If the Jets liked Davis and are planning on bringing him back, with the way Quincy Williams has been playing, only LB depth will be needed. At least at the moment, our CBs appear to be solid. Obviously, all of this can change before the end of the season, but right now, I'd say that C, RG, RT, TE and FB are our biggest needs, but if there is an Edge or CB that the JD and the CS really like that they think would make us better, then they could still go with one of those positions.

If they could trade down with our pick and garner additional picks for '22 and '23, and then take the C from Iowa, that would be awesome. They could then potentially take a TE or RT with Seattle's pick, then use the two 2nd round picks to take a RG and the position they didn't take in the 1st between TE and RT. Hopefully, they re-sign Maye to a reasonable deal, so S won't be a need. With their 3rd and two 4th round picks they could add OL depth, maybe a S or a LB, and maybe another RB. They can nab a FB with one of their 5th or 6th round picks.

6. NCJetsfan

There was also giving up a 1st down on 3rd and 21.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Sheldon Rankins recovered a Darnold fumble week one
    Del'Shawn Phillips after Quincy Williams forced a fumble week three

8. NCJetsfan

I hope you're wrong. IMO that would be a big mistake. We have plenty of cap space, but we do have a LOT of players that could become FAs: Fatukasi, Guidry, Cole, Davis, Moses, Crowder, Berrios, Kroft, Joyner, Shepherd, Neasman, White, Ward and Phillips. If JFM wants too much, there may not be enough money to bring them all back. Hopefully, he loves it here, and will want to continue to be a part of this team. At a minimum, I think JD should re-sign JFM, Fatukasi, Guidry, Berrios, White, Kroft, Neasman, and maybe Moses and/or Davis.

barfolomew likes this.
  9. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

uhhhhhhhhhhh
    they've been solid to good all season long.
    wildly underrated.

Brook! likes this.
  10. toddhershkowitz

BINGO.
    story of the season is this secondary and what Saleh has done.

BleedJetsGreen1981 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Q doesn't need a new deal until 2023. I agree that they should extend him as soon as possible, however.

barfolomew likes this.
  12. toddhershkowitz

and if we had Carl Lawson we would be going to a Super Bowl...

this is real life, not the "what if" game.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  13. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

How many sacks did we get this game? 7, 8?

14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

All valid points. The 3rd and long has been an Achilles heel for the Jets defense for years now. Generating an outside pass rush should help with that along with the maturation of the young secondary.

I like where this defense is headed. Tough inside and against the run. Secondary playing well for the most part. Another couple pieces are needed this offseason …

15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

7 sacks…. Very interesting and it just hit me.I don’t know if you’re an old timer or not but the parallels between this game and a game exactly 40 years ago are very similar. The 1981 Jets started 0-3 and everybody was yipping about the Jets coach Walt Michaels and QB Richard Todd. The Jets were blown out in 2 of those losses and came home to play the Houston Oilers (the Titans predecessors) in what everybody was figuring to be another blowout loss. Well the Jets stepped up that day they sacked Kenny Stabler 9 times, the offense woke up and the Jets looked like a completely different team with a win. It was basically the birth of the sack exchange.

Of course the NFL today is completely different, Michaels and Todd weren’t rookies and I don’t expect the 2021 Jets to reel off 10 more victories this year but the similarities are pretty striking - at least for now.

16. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

"Zachbomb" may become a word.

The way the league has given all the rules to favor receivers, even good defenses give up big passing plays several times a game. But if you have timely sacks.....many timely sacks....the D can make up for it.

Can't remember the last time we had a pure joy game, even on TV the crowd sounded ecstatic.

Ron

17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Is it possible we have found our long sought pass rusher in Bryce Huff?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it looked good for sure, and ulbrich called a good game but Ten was without julio and brown so had no real threat at WR and we sold out to stop henry

Brook! likes this.
  20. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

Is it possible our DB room is the best value unit in the NFL?

NCJetsfan, barfolomew and Noam like this.