Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

I also noticed he was the only guy standing on the sideline next to the coaches. He even went out to catch the ball for Zach's warm up throws with Mike White. Seems like he really wants to play. Hope he gets his chance.

NCJetsfan and King Koopa like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is what I mean by irrational.

MoWilkBeast, AJW, Pepsiguy5 and 7 others like this.
  3. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Wow. So the entire CS should be fired because......Mims. Put the booze down.

4. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

Either the coaching staff is right and Mims is not very good, or Joe Douglas is right and the coaching staff is wrong. Which one is it?

I think Mims can seriously play for the record

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Ok, that makes total sense.

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Absolutely. He showed flashes last year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Or. Douglas is right and the coaching staff is right that he’s just not ready yet. They’re carrying 7 wrs to accommodate him, this what developing players looks like. .

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO There is way too much speculation about Mims, without actually knowing what’s really going on behind the scenes. Mims is not getting traded, that is pretty obvious, the organization values his talents enough to make that decision. Why he is not getting more touches is a mystery to most of us, but I refuse to believe that the CS is blind to the fact that he can be a game changer and a real contributor with proper schemes for his strengths. LaFleur need to start developing more chemistry in practice with Wilson and Mims and appropriate new routes.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's not getting traded because he has no trade value.

The coaching staff doesn't need to do anything to force Mims to be a professional football player. They're already doing their best to develop him by keeping him in the roster. When he's ready to contribute he will play and he clearly isn't or he'd be on the field.

FJF and REVISion like this.
  10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's this difficult to understand, honestly. It's pretty obvious that this coaching staff sees real issues with him still. Whether that is his route running, seperation issues, etc. I am not sure, but it is obvious that they do not feel he is in the right place to help this team.

If our receivers continue playing like they did today and Moore comes off his concussion, I don't blame them for not playing Mims. I don't see how he would help us with everyone healthy

PJ4Ever likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I guess I can’t understand how we can say he is not ready to contribute after CS claiming great practices all week long, and then we don’t get him involved game day. How is he going to demonstrate contribution? By osmosis.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's not ready to contribute because he's getting minimal snaps and isn't catching balls and gaining yards. There's no mirage here.

This isn't an open ended english paper man. It's a math equation. The answer is the answer.

abyzmul likes this.
  13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Maybe they’re just a wee bit more focused on some other new offensive guy to spend all the resources necessary to get Mims in the game.

abyzmul likes this.
  14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Listen the most important part right now is getting Zach comfortable and right now if Mims isn't able to do that, then so be it. It seems he's very comfortable with the 3 that got the most burn out there today, and also Berrios and right now, that's all that matters. Now that doesn't mean Mims isn't good, he's just not ready to contribute how the fans want him to be. Now maybe the plays that Cole made, he made the right coverage reads to get open, more specifically the two biggest plays he made today. At this point I'm not going to be mad about Mims being inactive unless he ends up not on the team. There's a long term play here. He's still on the team and the staff wants him here. It's a deep group right now and we all must recognize that.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  15. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

you are unreal.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's just a numbers game....they can afford to bring Mims along slowly (like many here thought we should do with Zach) with their focus on Mims starting and contributing in 2022.

Also, the minute Davis or Keelan go on IR, Mims will start and be in for 50+ snaps every game and we can delete these silly threads

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The bold might be a very reasonable explanation as to why. Perhaps Mims and Wilson have not developed the same chemistry and are not as comfortable with each other as the rest. Hope Mims finds his place in this team as a contributor down the road.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is reasonable, and if that is truly what is happening, then fine, but I don't trust anything they say now.

19. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention, Wilson went up to Mims multiple times throughout the game on the sidelines and hit him on the shoulder kinda saying to stay ready…I didn’t see him doing that to anyone else really.

Mims was also the one catching passes with him a few times before possessions

I don’t think it has anything to do with ZW not being comfortable with him as they seemed to be good friends on the sidelines, but more just the coaching staff truly believing the other guys are ahead of him for now. That’s it.

20. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Mims isn’t playing this year. I wonder if Elijah will even get as much time now with Cole and Crowder playing so well today.