Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You lost me here dude. I know we don't agree on a lot of things, but this is so far gone lol

I'm just as pissed as the next guy about this offense but labeling him the worst starting receiver in the league is ridiculous

JetsNation06 likes this.
  2. Falco21

I agree. I think both played a role

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Maybe not the worst. Easily the worst #1 though when bringing the drops and drops that killed drives/lead to interceptions.

I mean I'm sure some of the bottom feeders like Jacksonville (Chark as #2 - more yards than Davis), Houston (no idea who their #2 is), Lions (bunch of kids as #2 option behind Hock - Kalif Raymond has 13 less yards), etc. have some worse starters. But Davis has been atrocious. Being unfocused because of the "system" and dropping balls every starting receiver should catch is displacing blame in a ridiculous way on the offensive coordinator.

Confused or not, Davis needs to catch the balls NFL players catch.

#443 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    Borat and Jets79 like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We probably need to get a compilation of all the drops to figure out exactly what is going on.

The few that I remember clearly were not usually the WR's fault. Wilson has a tendency to throw the ball too hard on short passes. He also wobbles a throw now and then and puts the ball on the receivers back shoulder on crossing patterns.

Putting the ball on the back shoulder on a vertical route can be a great throw. Doing it on crossing patterns just results in a drop or pop up pick too often.

The other thing is that Wilson still does not understand how to throw to his receivers without putting them in danger. There are some throws that an experienced QB just won't throw even if it looks like they are likely receptions because what happens a second later is bad. Most NFL receivers recognize those situations and get alligator arms in response.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Neither of the plays he was involved in versus the Patriots that resulted in interceptions were an alligator arms situation. He's also dropped a couple deep comebacks to the sideline with a couple yards of separation.

So while I agree with your sentiment and Wilson's touch is off (especially on the crossing route bootleg versus New England), Davis owns his horrible play just as much as the quarterback.

6. Br4d

One of the throws was a knuckle ball as I recall with the front end down as it reached Davis. It's possible that this was a drop by another WR however I recall thinking that it was a very hard ball to catch despite being mainly on target.

The issue on a lot of the drops this year is that a great catch would make the catch but that's what it would have taken to make it.

JetsNation06 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I remember that pass, short middle and I can't remember who caught it but I saw on the replay that is was partially deflected. I thought the same thing as you at first, that was a Tebow ball.

Br4d likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

You're really splitting hairs here man. Knuckleballs, not having perfect spin or not - if it's in the catch radius it needs to be caught. It's not like every ball thrown by every quarterback is perfect (except for Russell Wilson in my watching experience as every single one of his balls have perfect spin for whatever reason).

Receivers are used to catching different spin and lesser spirals on different throws.

Borat likes this.
  9. Br4d

Balls can be placed well and wild straight so to speak.

It's not unusual for a ball to have too much English or be thrown too hard to catch well. Touch is an important part of being an NFL QB and every throw needs the right touch as well as placement to be well thrown.

There are guys who have been accurate but without touch and still successful. Brett Favre is probably the best example, although Jim Plunkett and to some extent Vinny are other guys who could power the ball in. These guys however threw too many picks because their receivers did not have full control of the ball as it arrived and so too many throws wound up batted up or contested in some other way. The GM's who provisioned WR's for these guys prized possession skills over all else in their WR's.

One of the reasons that Vinny was so successful with the Jets his first season here was that the main WR's were possession-hands type guys and so he had the perfect complement of people to throw too.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Reality hits hard...if Zach is a bust people should just not attend games

This is his 4th outing and I need to see some improvement

I posted before Douglas' reputation and career are riding on his QB choice HC and OC. If they can't do anything with the roster he cooked up we are back to zero for 50th time

John Dorsey from Browns was able to correct his mistake by getting rid of his first choice Coach Kitchens...if this plays out the same JD can't keep this CS for sure ..BYU kid may be salvageable but who knows

Just great

#450 NYJetsO12, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    JetsNation06 and Br4d like this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Of course it's not a firing offense simply to have hired the wrong guy but OC would have been the right place for someone well grounded with a broad resume - I see that as a fault of upper management. The real test for Douglas and Saleh comes in the next few weeks as we see how their guy LaFleur is able to adapt to his lack of success. If things remain the same for the offense and no change is made the heat on both of them - or at least it should be.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

While he may not have been the worst overall starting receiver in NFL, he is probably providing the worst value of all WRs in NFL, given the contract he signed. Whenever you drop balls and are basically not dependable - it's a huge issue. Yes, he did well by catching two TDs in the first game, but overall Davis showed he simply cannot be counted on to throw the ball. The INT he caused against Pats was brutal. If that doesn't happen, the whole game may be different. Had a huge drop against Carolina, had drops with enormous consequences against Denver too. Some are not even counted as drops, but these balls that are thrown to him need to be caught. If he keeps this up, he should not be a starting receiver, as simple as that. Like a WR version of Herndon - we just can't have that.

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The man has no idea what he's doing. I think he came here with the mindset of completely erasing everything MacCagnan did. He tore down what didn't need to be torn down.

He saw no good here. I have little doubt he'll trade Quinnen Williams at some point.

It's a sad state of affairs for the Jets. When I think about what could've/should've been it's heartbreaking.

Go back to that draft last year considered by many to be one of the best if not the best ever at WR. What did the Jets get out of it? AND he let Robby walk away.

They could've/should've still had Robby and one or two WRs out of that draft (not named Mims) given Darnold a real shot OR they could've/should've still had Robby and one or two WRs out of that draft (not named Mims) along with Tom Brady the GOAT and loaded up to make a run. Hey they finished 2019 on a tear finished with the same 7-9 record Tampa Bay had that year. They traded for Brett, made a call to Peyton Manning but showed zero interest in Tom Brady the GOAT go figure.

Instead they hit the reset button.

I no longer follow the league or the Jets like I used to. This offseason I completely tuned out just about everything NFL or sports related. I no longer read or listen to the coverage I literally tune in on Sundays at gametime then tune out until gametime the following week. If I hear or see something it's by chance.

I say that to put into context what I'll say next because I don't know what other teams are doing.

Going by what I've seen from the Jets these first three games if they're not the worst team in the NFL this season who's worse?

I feel bad for Wilson he has no chance. Can these coaches coach? I don't know because they don't have much to work with so I can't say.

It's sad.

14. Falco21

Guess who's back. Back again...

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It has to be said I guessed wrong, had to click the show all posts option, didn't realise he hadn't been posting, nothing much seems to have changed either lol

Falco21 likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Wow this post is really long.

FJF likes this.
  17. Falco21

First thing that went through my head!

18. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

So I assume 90% of this thread is people hating on JD. His draft picks suck, the OL sucks, blah, blah, blah. So who gets the credit for our secondary playing lights out? Who gets the credit for two waiver pickups contributing huge to the win today?

Falco21 likes this.
  19. Falco21

Who gets the credit for 7 sacks today and 13 QB hits?

cmcm750203 likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The tiny little pixies

cmcm750203 likes this.