We all expected this so why is everyone so suprised?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 30, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Literally nobody here expected the jets to make the playoffs or win a lot of games. We have a rookie HC, rookie OC, rookie QB, as well as a rookie LG, rookie RB and rookie WR. it's rare for rookies to do good in the NFL, not impossible but expecting a ton of them on 1 team to all ball out right away isn't realistic at all. almost half our starters on offense plus our OC are all rookies.

On the defense we are now down 5 starts and it's all the expensive veteran ones except mosley. we spent 20 mil on lawson and davis. 15 mil on maye and joyner. plus cashman who si cheap but much needed. Thats 2 Lbers and both starting safeties and our bets edge rusher. Even with that our defense is playing well. carter II and echols have been studs as rookies. Hall and Huff and guidry are looking good in year 2. Q is playing well as expected, JFM and foley are very underrated and rankins is doing great as well.

We have about 1/3rd of our cap space on IR or as dead money from bad mac contracts (tru, bell, enunwa) right now. no team is going to look good in that situation. We shouldn't be surprised or calling for people to be fired already. it's crazy.

hornblower, dmw, NYJFOREVER and 3 others like this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I just didn't expect things to look quite this sloppy. There's a possibility it could get demoralizing at some point. I also didn't expect them to be world beaters, but at least show me something, anything at all. If Le Fleur doesn't get some kind of a clue, it's gonna be a game of musical chairs again at OC.

One thing I noticed about this season. There are a lot of other teams that have also looked terrible, more so than I remember in the past. Unless that's just me.

westiedog1, stinkyB and K'OB like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Would the IR cap space have made much of a difference? It's the offense that's dreadful and Becton wasn't dominating anyways before he got hurt.

I mean I was expecting us to be more competitive than this. It's rather difficult to get shutout in the modern day NFL. We've scored twenty points and two touchdowns in three games...

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's not that we've been bad, it's how we've been bad.

I think most people expected us to be bad. That part hasn't been surprising. What's been surprising is just how bad our offense has been. I think most people expected significant improvement there, with good reason. We were the worst offense in the league last year. We are the worst offense in the league by a wider margin this year.

The biggest disappointment is the OL, of course. It's somehow even worse than last year too, which is worst case scenario when you're trying to develop a rookie QB.

I wouldn't be worried at all if we were protecting Wilson, but we aren't. Wilson is the single biggest factor as to whether we'll be good for the next 3-4 years and we've done just about as bad a job as possible developing him so far. He's taken a beating every single game which is just mind blowing because you'd think that would be the single biggest thing our entire franchise would've liked to prevent. What does it say about our front office and OC that they've allowed the single worst thing to happen to a new QB? Is there anyone with a brain in the building?

If this continues it's almost a certainty that he's not going to work out for us. He's already showing signs of feeling phantom pressure after 3 games. Some QB's get past that, a lot don't.

Yeah, our defense has been good, but if we think we're going to make playoff runs with a dominant defense and a nonexistent offense then we are sorely mistaken. The best teams in the league, almost without exception, are teams that are good on offense first and foremost.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This feels very similar to the Dolphins first few games under Flores, except they didn’t have the talented rookie QB. They were horrible to start out the year and then kept improving as the season went on. I’m hopeful that the same will happen with us.

Jets81, Pepsiguy5, hornblower and 3 others like this.
  6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No one expected our offense to be this putrid. Its no different than the shit we saw last year. Hopefully they improve with the schedule getting a little easier the next 2 weeks then the bye week to prepare for NE

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The question is do they improve as the season progresses. That's what matters this year.

Yankee6, hornblower, dmw and 7 others like this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I expected some growing pains, not a complete disaster from the offense where they can’t sustain one drive during a game.

No one expected that, not even the jets themselves, I can guarantee that.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It is logical to expect a 2-14 team that did a strip down rebuild to struggle and flat out suck in their first and sometimes second year.

My main issues so far are:

1) Starting the rookie QB right away and with a roughshod OL, a rookie coordinator, and a young defense that has trouble getting off the field. This was a concern of mine before the season started and ît has borne out to be a valid concern

2) Early red flags for LaFleur. The press conference with Becton, the head scratching plays that go far beyond just play choice, the apparent unwillingness to tailor a gameplan to the strengths of the offensive players, the Mims saga. It's hard to be on the hot seat this early in a rookie rebuilding season, but this guy is finding all the ways that you can.

3) I'll remember #3 shortly after I click submit.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

In a way it is worse than last year, as we actually didn't think it could be as bad as anything Gase could scheme and well, here we are, a complicated scheme that nobody is understanding.

FML

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

12. Jonathan_Vilma

I also expected some more creativity and moving Wilson around more to get him comfortable with easy throws. This offense looks the same as Gase other than outside runs instead of inside runs.

Have we run a screen? One jet sweep? One bootleg on the interception against the Pats?

LaFleur is calling these games with these 7 step drop play action bombs like we have the 2016 Cowboys offensive line.

Brook!, dawinner127, fggrimes and 7 others like this.
  13. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Cot, the problem I have is I haven't seen improvement form week to week and that is all i wanted. The fact of the matter is, this O regressed last week. As for the D, all these per se' accolades crack me up.... we are losing by double digits guys... as in AG double digits.

14. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t expect any team in the league to look this putrid on offense

We aren’t good but have enough talent on offense to atleast move the ball a little and score some points here and there.

The defense is fine but this year was always about the QB and offense

15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Hey coach, I read you comments and laughed. You don't get it if you think that helping them UNDERSTAND the current O is going to help them improve! Here's a novel idea, how about changing your scheme to fit the players skill set?

Ralebird, NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  16. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

I did not expect them to win a lot of games what I was hoping for was for the team to be competitive and right now they’re not competing averaging six points a game that’s not gonna cut it….. for example the Detroit Lions 0-3 also but they have been in two of the three games they lost losing by one score….IF our team could just manage that to be competitive I would be OK with them losing…..

Edit: and I’m not happy about the fact that we are leading the league in drop passes… could we see last year second round pick on the field?? Please!

#16 jetstopgun, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the Idzik era, these guys are feeling the pressure 3 games into the season and have a need to do damage control.

Lafleur is looking in the room and probably realizing Cavanaugh has OC experience and will be replacing him if the offense doesn’t start gaining traction in the next couple of weeks. This might not be the ideal situation either as Cavanaugh has not had a good track record as OC.

I don’t expect 1980s Bill Walsh and Joe Montana explosiveness but a minimum of 21 points a game should be attainable. There are good football players on offense, it’s not like Clyde Gates is our number one receiver.

#17 Red Menace, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Yup, and that's troubling. 14 to 6 to 0 is going backwards. Let's see if they can score 10 this week, that would be an improvement over the last 2 weeks.

Jets79 likes this.
  19. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

You're right. It's early. And what's worrying many are the early warning signs:

- An inexperienced OC who was hired as an inexperienced HC's friend - who places system over talent. And has alienated last year's top 2 draft choices who do not fit the system. Can we get over it. Absolutely. Might Saleh be pressing his buddy in private. Absolutely. That said, the early warning system is bright red there.

And let's not forget that he started an abysmal Fant over Moses in game one .... Fant fits the system.

- The OL. They should be improved. But they haven't. Zach is taking a beating.

Good post. It is game 3. And hopefully we're all just jumpy.

Let's not forget ... as Jet fans, we've seen EVERY way to ruin a team and a QB. Just like Brady has seen every defense. We're just hoping that our front office and coaching staff is reading the situation and will adapt the playbook as necessary.

NCJetsfan, papapump and Red Menace like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

The bold is a massive issue that I'm glad you brought up. I'm so god damn tired of these coaches (going back to Mangini honestly) getting rid of players, bringing in players, etc. based on the system alone. Get good players and maximize their strengths. The Saints adjusted when Brees' arm really started to go and ran a WCO. The Patriots transformed several times with Brady.

The Ravens defense has had a ton of different strengths over the years and they change it based on the personnel.

Brook!, Jets79, abyzmul and 4 others like this.