Ok I'll say it

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Sep 26, 2021.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! I guess someone is upset. Let me guess--you were in the camp that thought Zach was better/worth more than Sam and three first round picks . Carolina is 3-0. The jets are 0-3, and probably headed for 2-15. You have watched Zach suck and Sam shine and you ARE pissed. Maybe you should funnel that anger toward Douglas because I did not make the selection. And maybe switch to decaf.

If you read one of my earlier posts in this thread, I explained the reason for the thread was to potentially avoid a repeat of this franchise- altering error by Douglas. By all accounts, the jets will likely have a top 3 pick AGAIN in 2022, and the more people that remind Douglas of his idiotic error, the greater the chance that he won't repeat it. I hope in 2022 he wises up and TRADES down from the top 3 pick and gets more ammunition to improve a pathetic roster. That approach would trump his foolish 2021 error of moving an established QB like Sam and foregoing a draft bonanza, for a skinny QB who looks totally lost in the pros and who had 1 good year in college against a weak schedule. I have nothing personal against Zach, but it was a huge reach which I hope and urge is not repeated, regardless of what position the individual plays. . This team need bodies/talent at many position and Douglas had and again will have another chance to improve the roster. Don't blow it again, Joe.

As to your point that you obviously don't like my posts and find my posts "boring," hey, I got a novel idea for you--don't read them. I think I will be able to handle the concept that you are not reading my posts. As an old Gunsmoke fan, I remember the bad guy telling Marshall Dillion that he didn't like the talk around Dodge City. The Marshall replied "Nobody is forcing you to listen to it." :cool:

Feel free to respond, you can have the last word. If I even read your response.:cool:

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Tua got bruised ribs and had to be carted off the field. Maybe hes just a wuss

I dont think there's a QB in the league smaller than Kyler Murray and he runs and he's never been hurt yet

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Murray also never gets hit in the open field because 1) he's super quick and 2) he's super conscious of the fact that he's small. Literally never. It's actually rather amazing.

stinkyB and BrowningNagle like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

All it takes is one hit and it will be the hit he never saw coming.

When a guy manages to avoid serious injury despite being a scrambler it is much more likely to be luck than any other factor.

There are guys who are extremely durable or evasive but even those guys suffer over the long run. Curtis Martin had an amazing ability to get down to the ground safely when he was hit, even by multiple tacklers. This is one of the reasons he fumbled so rarely and was not seriously injured during his career with the Jets. However he did take a beating as he was doing it and there's very little you can do to stop the damage when somebody falls across your calves or ankles as you go down.

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Brad, have you ever watched him play a full game or multiple games? I'm not exaggerating (maybe a little) when I say he doesn't get touched unless he's in the pocket.

Fair enough. But I'm agreeing that injuries can be an element of different things, including randomness. That's why you hedge in your own favor though as far as size and injury history are concerned.

And by your own list, he's still one of the smallest (if not the smallest) that you listed out.

7. BrowningNagle

He's changing the game. Reminds me of Vick when he first came out, it blew minds that someone could play that way

8. BrowningNagle

Put your very best athlete at QB and let him make plays however he can (feet, arm). That's how they do it in high school & college. NFL is just behind. But Murray & Jackson are taking the NFL in that direction
    --

It makes perfect sense if you think about it. The QB holds the ball the most. Why wouldn't you want your best athlete with the ball in his hands the most. Put him at WR and at most he gets 10 chances with the ball. At QB he gets 60

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Keep on laughing, coming from a guy who thinks we could have gotten three first round picks and then states Sam is better than Wilson, as if teams like SF and others would trade that much for a guy with a ceiling lower than Sam. Insanely laughable. . You keep regurgitating the same nonsense over and over, referencing Miami, a team that will flounder in the middle of the pack till they get a QB, if they get lucky, having to pay an arm and a leg or trade up, because neither one on the roster will take them very far. The teams that take it far into the playoffs have top tier QB, year after year. That's why they reach for one till they find it. Sam, Teddy and many others will continue to be game managers and get beat like a drum by teams with top tier QBs, year after year. Go see what Sam Bradford is doing for the Rams with exactly the same team, night and day, when you have your QB, without it, you are middle of the pack at best. . The problem at this juncture is that our draft picks and free agents and rookie CS are floundering, giving the rookie QB very little help to grow.
    Yes, I think Wilson has a higher ceiling than Sam, we will see. Sam is far from the top tier QB this team needs. In fact, had we reversed Sam with Wilson on game one, rookie or not, Wilson would have won that game. Not one single doubt in my mind.

#229 LAJet, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

^^^^^^ THIS!!!! Thanks! Great post! Hopefully, this will shut up the ignorant knuckleheads that persist in throwing that BS out there.[/QUOTE]

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

I dont get upset on the internet, why would anyone get upset at a stranger they will never meet, its not for me anyway. I simple stated a fact, you started this thread hoping to have your head patted and your belly rubbed, it hasnt happened and its driving you mad, it happens, you just need to get on with things now.

12. NCJetsfan

It also tells us that the Panthers have an experienced HC who hired an OC who had developed a QB or two and who had at least one year's experience as an OC, rather than your best friend's brother who had zero experience as an OC. It also tells us that they have an experienced HC, albeit imost of it n the collegiate ranks, but two (?) years of it with that team in the NFL, whereas our rookie HC had no experience as a HC at any level. It also tells us that the Panthers' situation was more stable than the Jets'.

Put me in that group of preferring Zach as well. I'd prefer Zach over Sam and 5 first round picks.

KY Jets Fan and LAJet like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

The bold is a logical fallacy. Just because they haven't been hurt before means nothing. It doesn't protect them from getting injured now.

Going by your rationale of using height and weight, Lawrence is the most likely to get hurt, as he is 4 inches taller than Zach (which does nothing to help protect him from getting hurt), and he's 1 pound lighter, when he should be 15-20 pounds heavier.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Huh? Of course they can get hurt. Anyone can. But they have proven that they are durable. Carr's missed 2 games in 8 years and I believe he sat the finale in 2016 because they locked up the playoff spot. Cousins has missed one game and I believe that to be the same case.

Lawrence ran the ball 230 times and played 40 collegiate games without missing any for injury (minus the Covid absence). He's a string bean, but again, proven durability matters.

Has Wilson ever been hurt in college?

I'm factoring in size + holding onto the ball + injury history. Not just size. And you're only listening to the side of the argument you want to nitpick rather than the whole argument. Which really isn't even an argument, rather a concern as I'd rather see our quarterback healthy than not.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

yes. Wilson tore his shoulder and broke his thumb in college

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Two things can be true at once:

Wilson has acceptable size for an NFL QB.

Wilson has an injury history.

He's had one major injury, a torn labrum, which isn't great for a QB. Having said that, rotator cuff injuries are the really concerning shoulder injuries, not labrums.

I'm not concerned about Wilson getting hurt in a vacuum. What I am concerned about is Wilson getting hurt because of how bad our pass protection is. LaFleur and co. need to figure it the fuck out ASAP because it's completely unacceptable as stands.

KY Jets Fan, papapump and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm not concerned about the labrum personally because hes still slinging the ball 60+ MPH. he has a cannon. If he didn't have that zip i'd be concerned

REVISion likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

rhule was a rookie HC in the NFL though last year and was 5-11. far from experienced. Joe brady was a rookie OC in 2020 who never called plays at any level. He also never developed anyone. he was a LBers coach, then a graduate assistant , then an offensive assistant for the saints for 1 year who had brees who was fully developed, then a year as a passing game coordinator and WR coach. he never coached QBs, developed one, or called a play when they hired him. The panthers 2020 staff was less experienced then the staff we have now when they were hired last offseason. He also came into a better situation. he had an experienced QB in teddy (who BTW is playing much better in denver this season then he did last season with the panthers) and now darnold who has talent but needed a change of scenery and at least has experience. he has IMO the best RB in football (although a case could be made for like 3 others) a great WR group, and a top defense. Meanwhile the jets are the youngest team in the NFL starting the most rookies, missing 5 defensive starters now with injury and important ones who were experienced and we spent a lot of money on (davis, cashman, maye, joyner, lawson) that's about 40 mil in cap space between the 5 of them this year. A rookie QB, a rookie RB, a rookie LG, and our LT is out for half the season likely. We all knew this year was a wash but injuries are making it worse and it sucks because at some point we have to be the lucky not that injured team

19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

You can’t ignore the $$$$ savings you get for 4 years of Zach on a rookie contract. Only a moron would expect Zach to be better than a 4th year Darnold after 3 games.

KY Jets Fan and REVISion like this.
  20. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

KY Jets Fan and REVISion like this.