Maybe it's time to start Mike White

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IDFjet, Sep 27, 2021.

1. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

The scrub teams we’ve faced have a combined record of 7-2.
    Cavanagh is what he was given.

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

You have to agree that many young QB's have benefited from holding the clip-board their 1st year. Are you implying the growth only happens if you have a Brett Favre kind of guy to watch for a year--or at least an Alex Smith?

This would have to be determined on an empirical basis--it could have some influence but you would have to tease out the effect of mentoring which happens outside of games.

3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I was surprised by the muted response to this hire--he sucked with Sanchez--why him?

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

If you were saying let him sit behind Russell Wilson, I would be all for it. But…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The bears say hold our beer

Jets81, PJ4Ever and legler82 like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Sitting a game or two in MLB is like sitting out a series in the NFL. I could go along with that.

IDFjet likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out IDF

This is what goes on and on ..another poor hire

Of course we might give JD the benefit of the doubt that only scrub Coaches and rookies want to come to SOJs

It's a depressing carousel

Mike McCarthy came a calling and instead of handing him power and $ cheapo Johnsons chased him away and got us Gase ..pathetic loser of a franchise

IDFjet likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

To keep Zach in one piece physically and mentally. Mike White gets smashed and we lose nothing. Zach Wilson gets IR'd and we lose too much. So, let Mike White take the ass kickin while Zach kicks back. He won't learn anything from Mike White except that its easier not to get smashed when you're on the sidelines..

Zach survives his rookie season in one piece is worth having Mike White get smashed weekly. Buys time for JD to find replacements for Van Rotten and McGovern. Also lets LeFleur learn how to devise a gameplan that works without having your FQB suffer thru the development of these plans.

IDFjet and REVISion like this.
  9. Cman68

Nobody else was available. He was the choice of last resort.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only reason for sitting Zach would be to save him getting shell shocked, but when will conditions be ripe for him to return? He's certainly not going to learn anything from Mike White from the sideline. I lean towards keep playing him, but they better figure out much better ways to protect him with different game plans than what they've used so far.

11. Cman68

We're looking at '22 at the earliest..

12. Sack exchange

13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not about giving ourselves the best chance to win, it's about preventing our potential franchise quarterback from being ruined in his first year or even seriously injured. It's happened before.

Our best option is protecting our future until we at least get a chance to see what it might be.

14. Sack exchange

Thought David Carr is onto something:

Zach Wilson
    Zach Wilson
    New York Jets · QB
    What I like: As the No. 2 overall pick, Wilson has everything you want in a franchise quarterback, and I've seen some good things from him early, despite poor results. He's athletic enough to escape pressure, the route concepts are there and he's delivered some accurate passes. Unfortunately, the Jets have 11 drops through three games (second-most in the NFL, behind Pittsburgh's 12).

What I dislike: In addition to a rookie quarterback, New York also has a rookie offensive coordinator. There's a reason Robert Saleh brought Mike LaFleur with him to New York; the offensive system LaFleur learned under Kyle Shanahan in San Francisco is meant to put the offense one step ahead of the defense. But that's not what I'm seeing from the Jets right now. Based on my own experience as a rookie QB, I'm guessing this is because Wilson is watching film on the sideline and making adjustments after the fact -- and then by the time he gets out there again, the defense has already changed. (Of course, back in 2002, I was looking at pictures on the sideline instead of video.) I remember constantly working to ensure I had answers for everything at the line of scrimmage: What if a receiver falls down? What if my receiver isn't in the right spot? Who's my go-to if the play goes off-schedule? The list was endless.

Wilson appears to be getting to the end of his progression and freezing up because, for one reason or another, he's run out of options -- and he's paying the price for it. According to Next Gen Stats, heading into Monday Night Football, there were 91 sacks in the NFL this season that took more than 4.5 seconds from snap to tackle, with Wilson accounting for a league-high eight such sacks. He needs some help from his play-caller and supporting cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why the Jets don't bring in a veteran quarterback to tutor Wilson. The kid seems lost out there and badly needs someone who's been through this before to mentor him and give him advice.

Sack exchange likes this.
  16. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Ppl aren't saying start White bc he's better we're saying sit Wilson so he doesn't get completely ruined by this line and OC. He can't learn anything good in these games where he's got pressure in his face instantly

ukjetsfan, Cman68 and REVISion like this.
  17. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

If we're already at the point where we're talking about benching the #2 overall pick for Mike White, then the tank is one and we're openly trying for 0-17. As bad as this has been thus far, think about how bad it will be after they made this theoretical change.

Part of me would welcome it, though, as it would show that the franchise has realized that they made a mistake at the QB position.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

What? We're all advocating for sitting him because he's getting lit up every game because our OL and RB's can't block anyone. Our WR's also have the most drops per target of any WR group in the league.

If our front office has given up on Wilson already they are complete morons.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

think TGG is on to something.

We need to find that girl who gave Sam mono and get her in here. Give Zach 3-4 weeks off to get his strength back, clear his head, and heal up a bit from all those hits. It was a great plan that worked to perfection for Sam. It's time to play that mono card again. Or maybe Saleh could slip the covid cop $50 to be sure Zack gets a few false positives in a row? Get him out the bldg and on his couch for a few Sundays.

We could send him some David Carr films to watch to see how the master did it!

Lots of ways to get ZW out of harms way for a few weeks.

Edit: I realize I was being politically incorrect and insensitive assuming it was a girl who gave Sam mono.....lets get hims or thems or theys in here! do it!

20. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

3 weeks into the season and we have threads about firing coaching staff members, trading away any good player we have, and starting the backup QB with 0 career starts over the rookie we just drafted with 2nd overall pick.

If I was a D1 college player I would be praying the Jets didn't draft me, this organization is dysfunctional from top to bottom, starting from Woody Johnson, all the way down to the fans.