Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The bolded part is really the key here.

I don't think many of us expected to actually be good this year. What we did expect was to show SOME semblance of improvement, especially on offense.

How on earth do we have the worst offense in the NFL YET AGAIN?! It's just completely insane to me. Not only do we lose, we do so in the most boring possible fashion for our fans.

I said this when we hired Saleh - he feels like an over correction from Gase. What I mean by that is we went from introverted offensive guy to extroverted defensive guy. Getting an offensive coach was the right move, we just hired a terrible one in Gase. In typical Jets fashion we can't even draw the correct conclusions from our mistakes. We should've hired an offensive head coach - that's what most of the successful teams do.

NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But when does it stop?

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We have the youngest team in the league, a rookie QB, OC and HC. What are your expectations?

We should win a few games this season a few more next and competing for it all the next. Year 1 3 games in of a new coaching staff is not time to panic.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How many times a day do you mention that this is the youngest team? How much does it matter? Maybe JD should have been more active in the free agent market if that's a significant factor. The team is worse now than at any time since Douglas has been here. That's an indication that the tear down is still going on.

Weren't the Jets supposed to be winning a few games last season? Weren't they supposed to win a few more, or even vie for a playoff berth this year? Isn't that what all the Fantasyland fans have been telling us since Douglas was hired? Tell us when the teardown is going to end and the buildup is scheduled, because it looks to me like the schedule is way off.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I stand by my assessments.

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The clock is ticking on everyone with this franchise, make no mistake about it.

The shine is firmly off Joe Douglas. Unfortunately when you got know nothing owners like the Johnsons, they wouldn't know how to overhaul this thing if it smacked them between the panties.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

To be fair, we have the worst offense again because we had such a terrible offense last year that it’s more than a one year fix to get it fixed. Resetting to a rookie QB on an unskilled offense is practically a guarantee of the worst offense in the league.

Fortunately for Douglass he has the three years Saleh will probably get, and if they get fired it will be together.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well all GMs whiff and miss at signing or drafting players

Douglas has made some excellent trades and I think the 2021 draft class will be better than 2020

That said, my elavator of support for Joe has dropped like 10 stories..

Not 25...so I have some faith in him...but the talent Evaluation has fallen short in key areas e.g. the OL

Your QB can't operate successfully without protection...and unfortunately JDs choices in Mekhi B and AVR plus Van Rotten Tomatoes are fucking awful

How will the JD legacy pan out for this crap can team???

He HAS to succeed with 3 key decisions >>>HC OC and QB . He prob should be judged on entire CS which was hired under his watch

OTOH I posted this before but the Johnsons screwed the Team big time by not hiring and paying Mike McCarthy a SB winning coach. We sent the present spiral of bad HC and OCs in motion and now we have amateur hour running the show...just great

JetsNation06 likes this.
  9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LOL

This idea that every Jets player leaves here and contributes, is laughable

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They were all successful last year, not sure why they are slow out of the gate this year. Maybe other teams are scheming around them so they don’t have such an impact on the game.

Leonard and Adam’s had 9 sacks and 11 sacks and Robby had his first 1000 yard season. It’s too early in season to make judgements.

Normally by 6th week of season the chips have fallen and unless a team pulls out a miracle the separation is obvious.

12. Falco21

Anderson also had 95 catches. He had almost 1,000 yards with 63 catches with us in 2017 and if you calculate his average that year, if he caught 95 balls he would have had 1,400 yards.

Difference is, they have other better receivers now in Carolina, so he's not producing which is exactly the argument many on here had when you look at potentially paying him $10+ million.

Again, the idea that players break out when they leave here is laughable. It happens a select few times just as it does with any other nfl team

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Anderson doesn't have to be incredible for it to be the wrong move to let him go and replace him for dog shit.

Who cares that his yards per catch went down? He was still very productive away from here immediately. We could've used a thousand yard receiver last year to help our quarterback.

These players don't have to be incredible for us to keep them. We need good football players. We don't have many of those.

The Jaguars looked like an NFL football team yesterday and came with a much better game plan (read-options, run/pass options, quick throws, etc.) to adjust to help Lawrence whose been under immense pressure. We need to do the same. There's no reason we can't score three touchdowns a game most weeks.

REVISion and Red Menace like this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I don’t think any of you understand what a rebuild is. Many smart Jets fans have been begging for a complete teardown and rebuild for years and now that we finally got that y’all are ready to bail after 3 games.

JD will be back next year, Saleh will be back next year, LaFleur will be back next year. Let the season play out for gods sake, so sick of this need for instant gratification.

KY Jets Fan, Falco21 and Skicats like this.
  15. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I think the change in Robby is Darnold is now his QB. And while I'm happy Sam and his team are doing great, he's the same uncertain - hold the ball too long because he can't see open receivers - waits for receivers to show themselves being open before throwing vs. throwing to the spots where they will be open - QB that we had just with a much better supporting cast...and with that he's got more confidence and taking what the D is giving him but still w/ all the same faults...and I'm a big Sam guy...But even Aikman on last week's call was calling it out while trying very, very hard to be nice about it.

Robbie, being a deep threat, is tougher for Sam to see and if not totally wide open, won't get many hits...just a thought anyways

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Sure we do. Rebuilds in the NFL don't take four years.

Look at the 49ers/Rams/Cardinals. Year two is upward progression and year three is playoffs. We look like a team that's going to regress.

The Chargers are looking like a playoff team in year 3. The Dolphins we're 10-6 in year two of their wild teardown.

The only teams that go with these long term rebuilds are the gutter franchises that switch coaches and GMs every year.

Jets79, HomeoftheJets and Red Menace like this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe he will get 2 years, one more draft with this CS, and be given time to develop this years players and next years players. However at end of this year, If there is no progress at all and Jets end up being last in offense, there will be changes made to CS not Saleh but his assistants.

Jets79 likes this.
  18. Falco21

The Browns say hello.

Year 1 - 3 and 13
    Year 2 - 1 and 15
    Year 3 - 0 and 16

The Cardinals tear down began in 2016 when they went 7 and 8. Year 2 they went 8 and 8. Year 3 they went 3 and 13. The best year they had was 8-8 and that was year 5 and the second year with Kyler Murray under center.

The Rams went 6 and 10, then 7 and 9, and then 4 and 12 before turning the corner.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Huh? The Rams hired McVay and instantly went to the playoffs. Same with the Browns and their new coach.

The Cardinals are on a playoff trajectory in year three with Kingsbury/Murray.

The only team that you can draw a similar comparison I guess to is the Browns, but they went to their third coach in three years to figure it out. The Dolphins as well I guess but that was one down year and nearly into the playoffs in year two.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Alright cool, can we at least get to the end of the 1st Qtr of season 1?