Wilson is on pace to set the sacks-taken record

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I definitely feel there is plenty of blame to go around, it's not just JD. I expressed my disappointment with players and coaches too, particularly Mike, GVR, McGovern, Fant, and Corey Davis. And I trusted JD would make the right moves because everything he has done had solid logic behind it, he had a good strategy in place of building through the draft and supplementing with FA talent. Last year was the first year, so he gets a pass. However, we have to be fair in evaluation. This is the second year and we have new QB. #1 item on the list aside from getting said QB is to protect him.

He missed the mark on OL in a big way - as you can see, which is resulting in Zach making David Carr's line look like a brick wall. That is a mistake that can have disastrous consequences. Don't you think he needs to be held accountable for this? He had plenty of time to evaluate OL. Yes, they played better last year with Elflein, and I was hoping with AVT and Moses it would be better, but look at the results now. Maybe loss of Elflein was bigger than we thought (ended up a starter with Carolina with Sam having all day to throw in a game against us). I also was surprised Trai Turner signed for measly 3 mil with Stealers late in the off-season and Jets made no move. At the time I thought he was signing a huge contract. Maybe he gave some discount to Stealers that he wouldn't to the Jets, but given how late and how little he signed for, we could have had him earlier if we wanted to for a decent price.

I am not saying fire JD like some here. I like a lot of the things he has done and gave him plenty of praise for shewed trades and accumulation of picks. But at the end of the day all these moves need to translate into achieving key objectives on the field. And he did fail in protecting Zach, his primary objective, so I feel a D grade so far is fair. I think he can turn this around, the only thing is, it's hard to anything right now as all good OLs are now gone. What grade would you give him for this offseason? Don't you think criticism is warranted?

SOJAZ, NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There were plenty of options to replace Van Roten with in the offseason and it's inexcusable to roll into the season with him playing. Feeney must be starting next week.

McGovern was a harder guy to replace but there were also cheap options out there, even if the plan was to kick him out to guard.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He's waiting for receivers to get open, or at least get a bit of separation from what I've seen. Not saying he isn't holding the ball too long, but I don't think it's all on him.

BrooklynJetsFan and Borat like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's also already looking to bail from the pocket early on. That's mostly because the protection is atrocious but he should look to make some plays with his legs early in the progressions. It'll loosen the rush up a bit to make them stay in their lanes.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Btw, I am not just brining up Trai Turner now in retrospect. I mentioned him during the offseason as well. I was even willing to save on Crowder to get him. "Say a guy like Turner becomes available for a fair price. We CAN sign him and release Crowder to get enough CAP room." I thought he was going to cost a lot, but the guy signed for 3 mil. Heck, we could have offered him double that, and still have Crowder and GVR too as a sub for depth. Look, I know you like JD, and so do I. But evaluation of his performance needs to be fair and correlated to the product that is on the field. When our rookie QB getting it worse than David Carr, who is universally given as an example of a ruined QB, how can that evaluation be positive?

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Get a bit a separation for sure ...to bad it's like waiting for hell to freez over lmao

the OL collapsing around him like paper against lava flow

The kid is unprepared and JD lied to us like he did to Sam Darnolds parents ..facts tell whole disgusting story

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

Yes, in the end it falls on JD, but consider that last year's OL was playing a whole different scheme, and while this scheme was supposed to be better suited to the guys we now have, apparently it's taking more time to adjust (if they can even can adjust).

There is clearly something Roten in Denmark with how the OL is struggling. IDK if the offense is too complicated, or what, but in the end the coaches need to figure it out make whatever changes necessary to fix it. Or maybe they should sit Zach until the OL figures things out. But one thing they can't do is continue what they're doing.

8. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, I think he was coached to stay in the pocket and trust his protection in college, and he would be able to make plays, which he did. He's finding out that he can't do that with this team. The thing is, he's very capable to using his legs to gain yards or extend plays because he's shown that a few times. He needs to be encouraged to do that more often. I link this change with my suggestion that he be allowed to change plays at the LOS, which may be a bit too soon for such a raw rookie, but I think he could handle it - certainly can handle it better than having to run for his life or get swallowed by by the rush.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that he should have signed Turner. I don't want to see Zach taking a pounding, or getting injured, or getting ruined because he is so beat up.

Many of us couldn't stand Mac because he didn't have a plan for building the team. Well, JD clearly has a plan, and a way of operating that incorporates a salary scale and is not willing to go over that. I respect that, but not at the risk of getting Zach injured. Still, I think the OL Coach, LaFleur and the players share some of the blame. I don't like the fact that JD signed Feeney, and didn't sign another OG. As another poster said, however, he may have been counting on one of Lewis or Clark to fill the RG spot.

In the end, I think he deserves some criticism, but not the level of some that I've seen here and on the internet, at least not yet.

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

FUUUUUUCK YEEEAAAAH MAAAAANN

[​IMG]

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

does the equipment guy even have a helmet that fits Feeney?

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  12. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

so no blame on Wilson for careless throws and 6 INTS? And his reads?

Look yes OL is shit. And Yes they don’t protect him enough to give him time.play calling is questionable. Still when he has to learn to throw the ball away. He has to get better reads. He can’t force to throw the ball into opponent’s hands.

I am still trusting him and have to stick with him. But he has to learn quickly and adjust. If he gets no blame, that’s silly

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Wilson definitely shares some blame. It's hard to know how much though when he is playing behind an OL that has had such a bad start to the year. It's not hyperbole to say our pass protection through the first three games has been among the worst ever.

I want to say we also lead the league in drops. Pretty much everything that could work against Wilson has been working against him so far.

14. NCJetsfan

I'm starting to believe that there might actually be something to the idea that the Jets are cursed. If Wilson gets seriously injured or ruined, I will know that it's real.

NYGANGGREEN and REVISion like this.
  15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I do not know about that... the stats for this year after three games is worse then last years, i.e., 2021 - 20 pts 724 yards, 2020 - 37 pts and 791... LOL and we thought it couldn't get worse!!!!!!

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

PS power ranking has us at 32... just saying.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Top of the world, Ma!

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

As bad as the OL is (and it is baaad) not having a half decent vet in the house that can step in to stop the future getting destroyed is just as bad

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I have no idea where they got these stats or how accurate they are, but if accurate, paint an even worse picture.

Borat and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Borat likes this.