At the start of this season, these were my expectations

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Sep 27, 2021.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Were these reasonable?
    • 7-10 Record
    • Wilson to throw more TD's than INT's
    • 50 sacks from the defense

2. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The Jets are Jacksonville North. Get used to it. A total rebuild is happening. Relax!!

3. HackettSuxTNG

So under the conditions of a rebuild, I had unrealistic expectations?

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Aside from the 50 sacks, I don’t think the other 2 are reasonable.

abyzmul likes this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Not to pound on you, but those didn’t sound reasonable to me.

7 wins was way optimistic coming off 2
    cant remember the last rookie first round QB to throw more TDs than picks….highly drafted QBs go to bad teams
    50 sacks is a lot…maybe with a healthy Lawson that may have been a target, but we haven’t approached that for years

FJF likes this.
  6. HackettSuxTNG

I don't feel "pounded" at all. I was asking for honest feedback.

• There was no way any sane human being could have expected playoffs or even a winning record this season. I figured the Jets could sweep Miami, and scatter 5 additional wins from the remaining 15 games this season. That is how I got to 7
    • I honestly thought that given the hype Wilson was given by all the "experts" asking him to throw more TD's than INT's was not unreasonable. Even if he threw 20 TD - 19 INT, id be happy.
    • Regarding the sacks, 50 comes to 3 sacks per game. With the changesto the defense, plus the return of a healthy Mosley, I thought that was a reasonable goal.

7. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

It's early. They could win some. Like you I'm not firing the staff every Monday.

dmw and legler82 like this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yah I hear you…I tend to be an optimist as well, but those assumptions would have been serious improvements

just a lot to ask of a new young team. Not sure why we’d sweep Miami…they’re a better team than we are all around…rookie QBs just always have a hard time adjusting to the NFL especially when they didn’t face NFL caliber DBs in school like Zach didn’t. And I don’t know what our sack totals have been, but if I had to guess, I’d say about 30ish or so…almost doubling that is a tall order when we have no proven pass rushers…even Lawson only had like 5 sacks last year. e kind of results would have been like coach of the year level accomplishments…

All that being said, I expected better than what we’ve seen so far. I didn’t expect to be averaging 6 points per game after three games. I didn’t expect our OL to be THIS level of terrible. And I had more faith in our receivers and didn’t expect them to be dropping so many balls that hit their hands.

just my opinion

Ralebird and legler82 like this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The defense looks solid.

The offense looks horrible but the offensive problems stem from a lot of mistakes, pass protection, failure to pick up blitzers, lots of drops, erratic QB play, and play design. It is every position. Improve some of these issues and others will get better. I don't expect us to see dramatic improvement in one week but over the season we will see better pass protection, better blitz pickup, less drops and better qb play. All that will mean more 1st downs, more confidence, more scores and less pressure on our defense.

The bottom line is it will take time. Everyone needs to play better.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  10. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

50 sacks with Lawson and JFM and maybe Q finally getting going didn't seem too out of reach heading into the season.

I thought 5 wins was reasonable and even that was way wrong the way we've looked so far..

legler82 likes this.
  11. Jedi mind tricks

I agree with this BUT we've been seeing that for years now. The Jets start slow and as the season progresses get a little better and by the end of the season we're saying wow there are some real building blocks here if we can just get these other areas straightened out then the next season it's like starting from scratch all over again. I get this year is a new CS but this isn't a new thing. We don't carry our progress over so it's hard to feel like we're building anything

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would argue this year might be different. We have the youngest team since 1977. So many first and 2nd year players plus we are implementing a new system which takes time. This year is all about getting reps for the young players for next year.

This year is all about reps and hoping we are a better team by December. The Dolphins did a complete rebuild like this in 2019 and started horrible 0-9 until they played Adam Gase. They finished strong with 6 or 7 wins. That might be asking too much but the measure of this year is how much improvement we show between September and December.

13. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

7-10 wins is a little high.

We’re about a 4-5 win team. The way we’re playing it’s more like 4.

My cousin called me before the first game all, “I think we’re going to the playoffs.” I laughed and told him the same thing. With the injuries and all the new staff and players, it’s just not possible.

Lower your expectations. We’re a better team than last year. We’ll win more games than last year, some of them might even be a surprise. We aren’t even an average nfl team yet though.

That’s the reality.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I would have hammered the under on 7 wiins and 50 sacks. Tds/ints , I think a 1/1.5 is not to unreasonable of a ratio to hope for, a bit on the high side maybe.

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Record and sacks, no. He could throw more TDs than INTs. It'll be an uphill battle but he could do it.

16. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I was expecting 5 wins doubt we get 3

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

New expectations from the head coach himself:

Robert Saleh: “When you have a rookie quarterback, it’s just having confidence that it’s OK to play a boring game of football"

awesome, something to shoot for!

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Just forget it

We are looking at 0-17 as a real possibility

Jax and Atlanta can beat this team

Elton John was right about suffering enough : "when all hope is gone ...Sad songs say so much"

19. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

With Zach starting from day one I was hoping for under 30 ints and over 15 TD's (air or ground)

I was looking at Falcons, Jaguars and Texans as winnable plus maybe we could sneak one or maybe two divisional games.

So 1-16 to 5-12 was my range and 2-15 if you asked me to place cash.

20. Jedi mind tricks

You might be right but it's gonna be hard for a lot of fans to be that patient at this point.

Noam likes this.