Fire Lafleur

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Yea not sure where the numbers came from but I’m with you, it seems lower. Also the fact that they can’t even try to get Mims in because it’s a system thing doesn’t give me much confidence that LaFleur has the ability to deviate from his Fake Shanahan offense, so the RPO stuff doesn’t seem like it would happen.

2. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I agree that Lafleur hasn't been stellar, but this team has about fifty problems to address that have a higher priority than this.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It's going to be hard to convince me that we have 50 other problems more pressing than our entire offense. We can't score points and that's not because of Zach Wilson.

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  4. HackettSuxTNG

Bill Walsh would be unable to call an effective offensive schema for Joe Montana if he had this offensive line.

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Not at the moment, no.

6. Falco21

I'm not about blaming the offensive line when our receivers are running the exact same route and they are getting zero seperation.

No one is claiming the offensive line is not horrible but when Wilson has to remain in the pocket or hold the ball because no one is open, you ain't gonna win games, let alone score points.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

#87 cval, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  8. HackettSuxTNG

Yet ANOTHER issue that has higher priority to be addressed before firing Lafleur.

9. Falco21

OK I'm confused

10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

It's way too conservative and there's almost no point to run the ball at all because we either lose yards, get no gain or gain a yard or two.

Gotta find ways to get Elijah Moore the ball more also put Mims in, at least he can catch.

11. HackettSuxTNG

Get wide receivers that can get separation AND hold on to the ball when it hits them in the hands. I hear that Mimms kid is pretty good?

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Mims? are you crazy he can't run routes. (Sarcasm)

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

A few things come to mind here.

1. Saleh may have foreseen some issues with bringing Zach along which could be why Knapp was brought in.

2. There may be communication issues between LaFluer and the offense in general. The comments made during the Becton weight saga gave me the impression that LaFluer may have said some things to the media before talking with Becton himself. If that’s the case then it’s a great way to have players tune you out. Just speculation though and I could be misremembering the situation.

3. The players really aren’t executing. Between Wilson’s bad decisions/throws, receivers dropping passes, and blockers missing their assignments and just flat out getting beat, it doesn’t really matter if the game plan would effectively take advantage of an opposing defense. The crazy thing is if they make a handful of makable plays week 1 (and even week 2) they’d probably 1-2 and nobodies ready to fire anyone yet.

- If your game plan focuses on every weakness the defense has but you don’t have the personnel to run it then your game plan sucks.
    - If you’re players think you’re a prick because you have poor communication skills, they’ll tune you out.
    - Regardless of the first 2, if a player routinely misses a block or runs the wrong route, find someone who won’t.
    - LaFluer may just be in over his head, but as is so often the case, and argument can be made that he was setup for failure.

Brook! likes this.
  14. Falco21

Drops are inexcusable but when three receivers run the same route within a yard from each other, that is not the receivers doing lol that is the play call and play design.

I get it, there is a lot to fix, but we score points through our offense. We are NEVER going to win scoring 0 points lol

That's on Lafleur

15. HackettSuxTNG

Let's start with the line and the dropped passes. I get it: Lafleur is not impressive so far, but let's get rid of the causes for any excuses first.

16. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

This is exactly why they won't play Mims. He keeps running a different route than the other 2 receivers. Maybe he rightfully questions the stupidity of our OC..

dawinner127 likes this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The ol "everyone run a 5 yard curl on 3rd and 9"

FJF and cval like this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Everything's a problem.

The OL, dropped passes, over and under throws by Wilson, bad playcalling. There's probably a strong argument that the OL is the root cause of most of the other issues though.

MoWilkBeast and legler82 like this.
  19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If I had to rank the root causes, I’d go:

1. LeFleur
    2. OL
    3. Zach
    4. WRs

Note there’s a significant gap between 1 & 2.

REVISion likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

He's a rookie play caller, the play calling hasn't been bad. drops and bad pass protection are killing us. GVR is awful and shouldn't be starting in the NFL but the o-line isn't communicating well and failing on stunts and blitz pick ups and teams know it from the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.