Wilson is on pace to set the sacks-taken record

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Sep 26, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

David Carr was sacked 76 times in 2002. Wilson is on pace for 85.

We are well on our way to Carr-ing Wilson. Douglas is primarily to blame, having completely botched the OL rebuild thus far. Our OL looks worse than ever, it's really hard to believe.

I also put some blame on LaFleur. He was doing well calling quick throws for Wilson early on vs. the Broncos but for some reason abandoned that, at which point Wilson began to get pummeled again.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, ukjetsfan and 7 others like this.
  2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

All the fans wanted to throw him into the fire..welp At least he made captain. :rolleyes:

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Ya damn right JD owns this. LeFleur also appears to be in over his head and starting to remind me of Schotty. Wilson will indeed morph into David Carr at this rate and he'll have Greg Van Rotten and Joe Douglas to thank for it. You can start to see it now in Zach's happy feet. That comes from being hit too many times by really big guys in football gear. I don't care what kinda shape you're in, that shit hurts. Zach's body language at the podium was another indicator that this constant losing is taking a toll. If this CS had a brain, its time to put Mike White in to take the ass kickin for a week or two to give Zach a break. That of course would require the CS to admit a mistake. Can't have that now can we...?

SOJAZ, cmcm750203, Red Menace and 7 others like this.
  4. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I didn't expect anything good, or even average, but I can't fathom that our offense is worse than we were under Gase. I just can't and yet here we are.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, Red Menace and 3 others like this.
  5. REVISion

It just feels like there's no urgency from the coaches or JD to fix the line, it's like they don't care if Wilson gets killed.

Between JD slow-playing the OL field in free agency despite us desperately needing guards and tackles and Saleh's nonchalant-nature when asked about the pass protection it's just insane to me.

Cman68 and Royal Tee like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's scary with all the max protecting we're ending up with multiple guys not blocking anyone against five man rushes.

Is McGovern just a dumbfuck? Our offensive line calls are atrocious.

Nice to see the Packers starting Jon Runyan (second year - 6th round pick), Josh Myers (rookie - 2nd round pick) and Royce Newman (rookie - 4th round pick) with virtually no blocking busts. Some of that's on the quarterback but it's also on the talent.

SOJAZ, Cman68, legler82 and 4 others like this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's just absolutely baffling how so many "resources" have been used to improve this line, yet, somehow we still have the worst OL In football. I get that Becton Is out, still, we have "three starters" on this team at tackle, blah, blah, blah... It's just BS at this point. How does this even happen? Just baffled.

8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Because.... it's the Jets?

9. IIMeanDeanII

It's got to be on coaching too. It's just a mess. An unbelievable mess.

The max protect Is a good point as well. It truly Is scary like you said for us to be running so much max protections and watching free runners still running through the A gap. Have you paid attention to how confused these RB's are looking In pass pro as well? Blows my mind.

It's just incredibly bad all the way around. Yikes.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

I agree, they are finding ways to out do themselves though. In the worst ways possible. It's insane.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It sure would've behooved the front office to sign a Phillip Lindsay for $3 million or Carlos Hyde for $2.25 million to help the runningback protection nonsense.

Lon Chaney and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  12. REVISion

Same, I'm at a loss regarding the whole thing.

Three missteps define JD's failure with the OL:

-Taking Becton over Wirfs
    -Being overly conservative in free agency
    -Trading up for AVT instead of drafting 2-3 OL with the picks

Any one of these mistakes would've been survivable, but I'm not sure if we could've overcome even two of them, much less all three.

13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

This is what I'm saying. It HAS to be that he's not allowed to cause NO gm in the NFL decision would be to do Nothing right now...No way.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I remember Douglas promising Sam he'd protect him. Technically he was right, he protected Sam by sending him to Carolina and drafting a new whipping boy.

Centiment, REVISion and fggrimes like this.
  15. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

To be absolutely fair on the first one any half decent tackle is gonna look great playing with Brady

All Gas No Shake and REVISion like this.
  16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

McGovern and Rotten seem to be the worst but all of them including Becton when he was playing have taken their turns getting beat.

There’s everything…missed assignments, 2 guys blocking no one allowing free rushers, guys too slow and guys just getting flat out bullied. The TE’s and backs don’t seem to be that great either in pass pro so it really is just a collective shit show.

There isn’t a solution unless the bench players are better which seems hard to believe. I thought they would be maybe below average this season but I was wrong- they’re outright the worst

REVISion likes this.
  17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If Chicago plays the rest of the year like they did today, Fields should beat Wilson in that department.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

It’s mostly poor coaching and play design IMO with a sprinkle of a rookie QB getting acclimated with the speed of the NFL.

19. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Only the Jets can hire and fire a complete imbecile, and replace the staff with something worse

NYJetsO12 and Cman68 like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Becton over Wirfs definitely looks like a mistake now, no doubt about that. However, I don't think this is what defines the failures. In fact if JD did one thing right with OL is that he also signed Moses, who actually did OK as RT compared to the rest of OL. I also don't think we know yet whether trading for AVT is a mistake. The guy Vikings took with our pick (best OL at that spot) was Darrisaw, who does not even figure to be contributing any time soon. Jenkins, another guy people wanted, is also out for the year. At least AVT is contributing and is not the the worst OL on the team. Van Rotten and MCGovern are. And JD had them last year too. To completely misjudge their ability (or lack thereof) after having them for the whole year is inexcusable.

And this is after we just drafted a rookie QB. Whether JD was conservative because he though they were improving or what not, or didn't want to commit to longer contract to some decent players that were available, the bottom line is that he failed there. Unfortunately there is really not much that can be done now about this. David Carring Wilson is now a real possibility, maybe even more likely than not. It's hard to believe, but here we are AGAIN, after using the best draft asset we've had in 20 years to get a talented QB. Just gotta pray Zach somehow survives this and JD fixes it next year. Not sure what else can be done now really.

If JD realized OL was shit and had a vet to start initially, it would be a different story, but now that Zach is a starter, I am not sure benching him at this point is a good idea either. It could destroy his confidence as much as these sacks.

SOJAZ likes this.