There's a reason you put a rookie QB on the bench

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Only if you want to win a super bowl before that happens.

The Jets probably only have a few millennia to get that done and I'm not as interested in the 3077 season as I am in the 2023 one.

2. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

If the OL doesn't get their shit together soon, ZW won't make it through half the season.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Don't you call people out for trolling all the time? And you say nonsense like this in a football thread to a football post?

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He's the most negative guy on the forum and you know this. Stop being a fucking pussy.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He also needs to pick up the interior blitzes earlier in the sequence. Shaq Thompson stepped into a gap during the count, stunted around the DT and nailed him hard. A more experienced QB would never have gotten nailed on that play.

Pepsiguy5 and Savatage like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Stop holding grudges like an internet gnome and dragging people's views on different things into different topics.

Brad is one of the best football guys this board has ever had and you're dragging nonsense into this. And I say that with disagreeing a lot with him on things of all kinds.

This isn't the first time you've done this. From Legler to DWC and onto Brad. I'm sure there's a couple more.

Red Menace, legler82 and REVISion like this.
  7. bicketybam

He sees the worst in everything. I'm sorry but that relevant. I have a hard time taking anything he writes seriously, especially when it's doom a gloom.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Fant got smoked all day long. We should be very skeptical of him as he’s shown us nothing so far to make us think otherwise.

I definitely need to rewatch the game to confirm but I felt like the vast majority of the pressure came from the right side. I thought Becton was fine in real time but we’ll see if the All 22 confirms that.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  9. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I agree this is the way to go, but I have no patience left. My interest would be a lot less if I knew they were sitting him for a year or 2 , knowing full and well they didn’t count on competing until then.
    I also think throwing him right into the fire is the best way to learn…. But not with that o line. Geez, hopefully something magical can happen at practice this week.

10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--but he seemed to play better on the left side and Moses played ok on the right side. Unless there was some extenuating circumstance, Van Rotten and McGovern both need to be cut--I'm fucking serious. Don't put up with this shit. IMO. Let us know what you see in the all-22.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wilson is gonna be hurting tommorrow that’s for sure. He won’t last 16 games like this. Panthers pass rush ain’t even good.

NE and Denver next 2 weeks. Now those are some pass rushes. Yikes

12. bicketybam

Wilson is a tough SOB. I'm not worried at all. I thought he played a great second half and his first half would have been much better if Moore hung onto that bomb he threw.

The only people that think he played poorly are the ones that wanted the Jets to draft another QB or no QB. Any reasonable take sees way more good than bad.

13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I always laughed at the indignancy of both sides of this argument.
    Every QB is different, what works for one isn't a set rule for another...

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Let’s see how the OL plays next week. It is just one game so far. For all we know, the Panthers can end up with a nasty defense.

Gotta get a larger sample size than one game but the initial showing does not look good.

KY Jets Fan and Royal Tee like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The problem is, the Panthers may end up having a nasty defense, but the Patriots already do have a nasty defense with even worse intentions and they love to use misdirection all day long.

I think next Sunday is going to get pretty ugly.

Pepsiguy5 and Royal Tee like this.
  16. abyzmul

I was thinking about it, how many of the gunslinger types in the modern era have flourished as a rookie, if they even started as a rookie?

I can think of Stafford, and even he threw 5 picks in week 9 against Seattle.

The guys that Zach is constantly being compared to all had the benefit of sitting and watching, and when they did start they did it with an established offense and experienced coordinators.

I think this is either a big rookie mistake for a new HC or pressure from ownership to put butts in seats.

Br4d likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

There's not a ton of data on it because franchises rarely sit them down in their rookie year or at least most of it. Mahomes, Rodgers, Lamar Jackson (most).

This article breaks it down actually. The numbers aren't that skewed in either way, but each guy is different.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...en-mayfield-2018/1p20qhe6o5wwyzv8cgje8siyk/16

The thing is that each player and situation is unique. Franchises have the opportunity for a quarterback to be their starter for a decade+ and 15-20 years if they're good enough. I just don't get the rush. We were going to get thrashed this year regardless.

Br4d likes this.
  18. abyzmul

And there were plenty of options available to take that thrashing in place of Zach. I don't get it either.

All of the stuff we are complaining right now, from rookie HC mistakes to rookie OC mistakes to bad offensive line cohesion were expected things and still they had to throw him into the fire.

I really don't even have many problems with him as a prospect, just questions. It's hard to get honest answers to those questions when the guy looks like he's going to have a panic attack by the second quarter.

Br4d and Cman68 like this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Woulda been nice to have a Kurt Warner type backing up Zach.

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I really feel that JD thought he built a good offensive team, that's why he didn't even look for a vet who could potentially start. In particular OL. The fact it turned out to be false is JD's fault. It appears he thought Fant/MCGoven/Van Rotten were solid. So, he upgrade RT with AVT, and got Moses for depth and possible upgrade over Fant. But the problem is that Fant/MCGoven/Van Rotten stink and JD didn't see it and didn't upgrade them - at lease Van Rotten and McGovern spots. That is a huge failure. Maybe he thinks they need time together. But then you needed a vet to start while they jell and bring in Zach once it has happened. No matter how you slice it, JD missed the mark with OL, and that is impacting the most important goal of this season - development of Zach Wilson - in a major way.

Bellys Lies and Ralebird like this.