No two ways about it...Zach laid an egg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 19, 2021.

1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Play calling has NOT been that great.

Neither has Zach.

OL made some progress which was good to see.

Nonetheless we need to give OC, Zach, OL and WRs some time to gel. We’re not going anywhere this season either, as many here expected 5-6 wins. That’s ok. But I want to see progress from the offense and see what Zach brings that everyone is talking about.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The OL - I agree, that's on Douglas since the entire line is his making at this point and they still suck. Not only are they bad but they've been even worse this year than in years prior.

LaFleur - he's been rocky but I'm willing to give him some time given he's brand new to his role and is still learning every week.

Regarding QB - the problem was our QB was still doing dumb things consistently in his third season. If Wilson shows no improvement, or even regression like Darnold did, then we should be concerned.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

O’Sullivan > Jenkins IMO

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The OL - Douglas brought in the bodies that supposedly had talent. It's up to the coaches to get the talent to perform.

LaFleur - You don't hire an OC to learn on the job. You bring him in because he's good. Same with the other coaches.

QB - I don't want to get into a QB debate, but the way I see it is that Darnold did "dumb" things because he was surrounded by ineptitude for most of those three years and just wanted to make something happen. We are witnessing Wilson exhibiting the same symptoms.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Uh, really? You're comparing a first time HC and OC to a guy who had 5 years under his belt. and 2 of those years with the Jets to fix things? IDK when you last bought a new car, but it isn't unusual to have to bring it back to the dealer a few times for warranty work. Moreover, the old HC/OC never altered his "system" to fit Darnold (and the OL), he just kept hammering at it despite the poor results. As Einstein said: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results". I don't think after 2 games we can put anything Saleh and LaFleur have done into that category - maybe after a year or so, but I seriously doubt it ever comes to that. Saleh & Co are not asking Zach to do anything he can't do or isn't naturally good at, unlike Gase who took a guy who was at his best rolling out and tried to make him into a pocket passer.

The comparison between this "car" and the old one is way off base.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's been 2 games with our new coaches/QB, there are no valid conclusions to be drawn yet. It's a tiny sample size.

Some of the same people who defended Darnold after 3 years of garbage are ready to condemn our new guys after 2 games. Wild phenomenon.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

100%.

Rookie defensive HC with rookie QB and all-rookie offensive coaching staff.

If you don't learn from your mistakes you will keep making them over and over again like the Jets.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's no excuse for having a 5-10 year coach at the coordinator spot. You can live with rookie coaches everywhere else if this is the case.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You make Burt Gummer look complacent.

10. Br4d

Doing what I can with what I got.

abyzmul likes this.
  11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I watched some college ball the last few weeks and my one big takeaway is BOY OH BOY--am I glad that we decided to go QB this past draft and not wait on it.

This years prospects look terrible, super inconsistent and none of them are really progressing like they were supposed. Matt Corral of Old Miss is really the only one that has looked solid and ironically he's being compared to Wilson.

We need to allow ZW to take his lumps and learn this year and go all ion on support with him next year and learning the system--if he's not progressing at that point then it's time to worry.

For now, we made the best decision we could have

NCJetsfan and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  12. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I agree with you, the kid from OU Rattler or however he spells it just seems like he will be the next first round bust to me.

13. Br4d

The prospects next year are going to be very similar to the prospects this year with the exception that there will be no big name like Lawrence available.

I think it is 50/50 the Jets will take a QB high in the 1st round again.

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I saw an interview with Mike Shanahan a few years ago talking about RGIII a classic roll out type. Shanahan said that for a QB to be successful in the NFL he has to learn how to throw from the pocket. RGIII's problem, according to Shanahan, was that he did not want to adjust his game. If you look back at all the greats over the years Brady, both Mannings, Favre, Brees, Rivers, etc., they all operate(d) from the pocket and rolling out only when necessary. Even guys who had good ability to run when they came in the league, such as Russell Wilson operates mostly from the pocket now, plus I noticed Lamarr Jackson standing in the pocket more and more these days. So, if Gase was trying to get him to throw from the pocket, I look at that as a good thing.

15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

well he came back this week with a hell of a performance. Few zach nuggets

the 50+ yarder to cole was the fastest a QB has run while completing a 40+ yard pass in NFL history. he was at 14.73 MPH and scrambled 26.2 yards

he pass to corey davis was over 60 yards, on a rope, without getting his body into it. ball took less then 3 seconds from release to when it was caught. that's a threw very few QBs can make. elite arm talent for sure. here is an alternate angle. look at that ball placement

https://old.reddit.com/r/nyjets/comments/q18ur4/highlight_ez_angles_of_davis_td_pass_cole_rollout/

that video has his 4 best throws and shows the complete suite of what zach can do. arm strength, touch, accuracy, vision, mobility, and calm under pressure.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With regards to the bold, spot on! Those same players (minus AVT and Moses) wound up playing well at the end of last season. They were bad initially, but had no OTAs, no mini-camp, and no preseason. AVT is a rookie and missed most of TC and all of preseason, and Moses missed OTAs and mini-camp. At some point, one has to put the blame on the OC, the OL Coach, and the players themselves. They're trying to learn a very complex offense, and are having trouble remembering assignments and executing. That goes to either poor practice regimen or the offense being too damn difficult for our players to master quickly. Blaming the GM is silly.

With regards to the OC (LaFleur) all of them were new and got a start at some point in time. The issue isn't so much that he's new, it's that he's new when we have a rookie QB, his offense is very complex, and he's done an awful job before yesterday.

With regards to the QB, yes Darnold did some dumb things because he had horrible coaching and poor players around him, but he did some dumb things all on his own, like lousy footwork, inability to read Ds, not throwing the ball away and throwing into double and triple coverage. If you've seen Darnold play with the Panthers this season beyond the 1st game vs the Jets, you'd see that Darnold is still making bad decisions (leading to interceptions), his accuracy is still off (although improved), he still can't read Ds and not throwing the ball away (resulting in his holding the ball too long and taking needless sacks). If you saw the game yesterday, you saw Zach show composure and make throws that Sam never could.

#336 NCJetsfan, Oct 4, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  17. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Lol @ your last comment. Absurd take.

#337 PJ4Ever, Oct 4, 2021
    KY Jets Fan, BradysTornACL and Noam like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is one hell of a post

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The last pass on that clip reel was simply stunning.
    He's making these throws while running around like a bunny rabbit... his eyes always downfield... looking for the big strike.

He's seeing things pre-snap that is impressive at 4 games in.

You can't coach that kind of tenacity.

#339 Acad23, Oct 4, 2021
  20. Br4d

We just saw Zach Wilson look like a mediocre NFL QB against a bad defense.

We won, however the win was our defenses win.

I don't think any of the 1st round QB's other than Lawrence are guaranteed of getting year two as their organizations main starter.

Look at this way: if the Jets have a high pick next year and are not completely sold on Zach Wilson the smart thing to do is take another QB - if they think another guy is worthy of the pick.

Go look at Zach's performance this year so far and tell me that the Jets are going to be 100% in on him next year.