2022 Prospects to look at

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, May 5, 2021.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Oh I agree. Neither are for the Jets. Just saying that I think they're worth it.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Kingsley Enagbare, South Carolina Edge

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Becton may be too tall to play inside.

4. NCJetsfan

IMO it's way too early to even to rank positions of need. Both Moses and Fant could be back, or neither could be back, so we could be looking at taking a bookend tackle to pair with Becton, or we could be looking at taking a swing tackle. McGovern could be back, or the Jets could move on, so C could be a top priority. RG needs to be upgraded, but imo early 1st round is not the time to take a RG. They possibly could take one with Seattle's 1st round pick, but I'd prefer the 2nd round. TE is a HUGE need. It's the one position where we know we don't have any top young prospects that could develop. Yeboah could possibly develop, but in all likelihood, I think we will be looking to take a TE within the first 2 rounds. A bellcow RB is NOT a huge need. That's not how this offense operates, so I wouldn't look for the Jets to draft one. I think for the foreseeable future, any RB they draft will be taken in the middle rounds, no earlier than the 3rd round. If we take a WR, it will likely be in the 3rd-4th round.

On D both Lawsons could be back, but will Carl be totally recovered? I think the Jets will still look to take a DE with their top pick, but perhaps not if JFM, Huff and Zuniga play well this season. LB could be a big need. The Jets may not opt to bring back Davis. Neither Sherwood nor Nasirildeen could work out. They may opt to move on from Mosely. We could be looking at 3 new LBs next year or none. Even if our CBs continue to play well, we might sign one in FA, or could draft one fairly early (1st or 2nd round). At S, will Maye be back? If not, how early will the Jets look to replace him? Will Joyner be back? How will Davis play this year?

There are still a ton of question marks with all our young players, and we won't have any sort of conclusive answers until at least halfway through the season, and more likely, not until the end of this season.

Noam likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

I'll address the bold part. I hope Carl makes a full recovery by this time next year, but his injury history is a big reason why he was a FA. Shaq is a former 1st rounder, but hasn't lived up that status. JFM and Huff could be nice players, but neither seems to be someone opposing teams will gameplan around. I have no faith in Zuniga at this point. I wish someone else was taken with that pick. Taking an Edge early is basically a must at this point.

blackssmagic likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I agree and think that JD will take an Edge with our 1st round pick. I have no faith in Zuniga either, I think Carl will be back and hope that he has made a full recovery. It will be interesting to see what happens with Shaq Lawson. I don't have great expectations or hopes with him, but he has the speed and physical tools and could develop this season. I'd still want them to draft Thibodeaux or a topnotch edge, however.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Alright, I know I'm going to be that mutt that bangs a drum for an oddball position but that back Horvath out of Purdue I think could turn into just the type of fullback that works well in this offense, and he's now going to be out for a month or 2 with a broken fibula.

That'll mean his draft stock drops even more and I think it would be a real opportunity to grab him with a late pick so he doesn't get picked up by another team in UDFA.

The offense needs as many dynamic players on the field at the same time as it can get.

#87 abyzmul, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

We need a OL. We have nobody.

9. NCJetsfan

I think JD will definitely be looking to add a FB next offseason, so he could definitely be under consideration.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

[​IMG]

11. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

While I dont follow anything regarding CC, this kid def has good hands. Interesting prospect

12. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

This is a really good list and a variety of positions. Me personally, I would love 1,2,3,5,10...if we can somehow get 2 of them it would be amazing.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

David Bell for Purdue is great. He plays very similar to AJ Green. Long and skinny but runs crisp routes, knows how to manipulate defenders in his breaks and can win jump balls with ease.

He's a first rounder IMO but won't have the production to be as high of a pick as he should be because the Big 10 is such conservative defensive football.

14. CotcheryFan

John Metchie out of Alabama has a lot of similarities to Smith and Jeudy, but most mocks I've looked at have him going in round 2 at the earliest. If Mims isn't part of the future, he's worth taking a look at.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I'm curious...what are your thoughts now? Both Huff and JFM are having huge seasons. If both Lawsons are back and Carl is healthy, we may not need to draft an Edge. That would be huge. If Hamilcar Rashed develops this season, that could be even more true. Some team coveting Thibodeaux could give up a king's ransom to move up to take him or some team needing a QB. If both Huff and JFM keep this up, I would be in favor of maybe taking an Edge with Seattle's pick and trading down from our pick and garnering more picks for the 2022 draft and or 2023 drafts.

We don't need Zuniga.

16. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

I think our guys are good and all but if you have the opportunity to take a “generational” talent you do so.

17. NCJetsfan

I definitely agree.

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Jahleel Billingsley is a name to watch for one of our 2nd rounders this year. Reminds me a lot of Waller and I think he and Kroft could be a good 1-2 punch at TE for us with Billingsley being more of the pass catching threat.

Analysis from TDN:

Pros: Built like a Z-receiver, Billingsley lines up in all spots in various formations. He’s an athletic specimen who the team used as their primary kick returner after an early-season injury to Jaylen Waddle (2020). Treated like an F tight end, he’s built like an NBA small forward. A long strider and loose mover as route-runner who’s also involved in lots of pre-snap motions, primarily to get him back into his natural hip position 1x1 (1-inch wide x 1-inch deep) of the offensive tackle where he’s performed lots of duties. Utilized as a cross blocker on split zone and as the second puller/wrapper on counter run concepts, he’s shown to be most comfortable when used in that facet as an on-the-move blocker. Billingsley has run routes from an in-line position with lots of success. His long steps and elongated strides quickly threaten the cushion of defenders and he’s eventually able to outpace them over the long haul. Plays the game with bend and is detailed with staying low to not reveal when he’s near his breakpoints in routes. Violent jabs/plants into the ground help him cut in desired directions but also puts pressure on the opposition when snapping off routes in the short-to-intermediate levels. Strong hands as a catcher that are routinely used away from his frame to extend and squeeze the ball.

Cons: With most of his value coming in the passing game, he was a lower option on the totem pole due to his youth and the litany of perimeter artillery already present. As a result, he was primarily an opposite hash attacker that started on one side of the field and ran as quickly as possible to get to the other side. Thriving off of a “pylon” concept, he was primarily used on this route (104 of 287 receiving yards) when sprinting across the field to the front pylon in the corner of the end zone. Likely a more prominent option this season, he will need to expand on the branches of his route tree. His strength through second-level releases and at the top of routes must continue to improve. Billingsley has lots of unnecessary collisions at the top of routes that are avoidable. The unwarranted contact throws off route timing and he gets to spots a little later than designed and his route depth can be snapped off prematurely. Impact as a blocker in heavy/condensed sets is minimal due to his lack of overall strength. He’s more of a try-hard blocker that shows plenty of fight (vs. Mississippi State), but lacks technique in order to stick and win consistently. Billingsley has good initial pop at the point of attack, but right now, he isn’t a blocker that can stick, sustain, and drive due to the lack of bulk in his lower half.

19. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

He seems good but not in love with his speed. TE is a tough position to evaluate. If he is there round 2, I would take him. Not rd 1 at all.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Oh for sure, he's definitely not a first round guy for me atm. Lot of season left so that could change but I would love to snag him with Carolina's 2nd rounder.