General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Saw 10 Rings today. Not bad for a primarily Martial Arts movie. Marvel is very busy rebuilding the MCU one movie at a time. Lots of CGI in this one and it does have the feel of an old school kung-fu movie. Don't bother with the 3D because simply there's not enough to warrant the extra cost. There is a tie in to future MCU movies so, hang around for the credits. No academy awards in this one and its not the greatest MCU movie ever. Its entertainment so go into the movie not expecting a lot and you won't be disappointed. Just like the Jets..

#721 Cman68, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I thought Shang Chi was really good. Agreed the action and fighting scenes are excellent. I thought the visuals were very nice too. Plenty of MCU Easter eggs for big fans. Problems with it was the villains were weak, similar to Black Widow. That is what separates good super hero films from great ones. Shang Chi is not that interesting of a main character and the actor was just fine. Awkwafina was funny as a side kick. Overall a solid mid-tier MCU film. Up next: Eternals.

Cman68 likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's a pretty strange thing with the MCU. Most of the movies have so much forethought and attention to detail and reverence to the source material, but the villains fall flat almost every time. The villains are a CGI afterthought most of the time.

The Dark Knight and Cman68 like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

Yeah, you have Loki, Thanos, and Killmonger. 3 great villains in like 25 movies. Some other good ones too, but many forgettable ones.

5. Cman68

Whatever happened to the other supervillains? They turned the Skrulls into victims of the Kree Empire. They've completely written off the FF and its own collection of villains. The Silver Surfer is gone along with my favorite supervillain of all.. Galactus. Even the Watcher has vanished into oblivion. Dr. Doom used to make the occasional cameo.

I guess this new breed of MCU writers think all villains should be ordinary while the Heroes shine. What they don't get is, to have a superhero you need a supervillain who is a match. Kinda like Sherlock Holmes and Prof. Moriarty.

6. The Dark Knight

Agreed! The good news is you just named a bunch of great villains they can use in future films. Hopefully they realize this and take advantage of some of the villains they have in the comics.

Spider-Man: No Way Home will be filled with some of his best villains. I just hope they use them right or at least in a cool way.

7. Cman68

Doc Ock? The Lizard? Green Goblin maybe? How about a Venom cameo...?

8. abyzmul

The rumors for that last Spiderman episode make it sound like a total shit show.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not a film per se but the rumors about the FX Alien series keep getting better and better. Apparently there are two scripts written already and the setting for each is an Alien outbreak on earth.

10. The Dark Knight

Yeah, looks like all of them, except Venom, since he has his own franchise right now. Although a cameo wouldn't surprise me.

I was saying that to my friend recently. It's either going to be really cool or really terrible. Maybe somewhere in the middle. A general audience will likely get confused too with some of the stuff I have read about.

That's cool! I did not know they were making an Alien show.

11. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

'The 400 Blows'. Pre-emptive strike, it has nothing to do with blow jobs.

12. jetophile

My Bodyguard. I can almost guarantee that no-one remembers this movie with Adam Baldwin. Cheesy flick about bullying that also has Matt Dillon in it. As usual, one of the bullies looks 30 in a flick about teenagers.

The reason this movie is worth a watch is the subway scene. Adam Baldwin admits that he shot his brother by accident. It's a good acting turn.

13. abyzmul

^ I've always liked Adam Baldwin because of that scene.

14. jetophile

Looking forward to The Tragedy of McBeth with Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand. It has pretty good advance buzz. I saw the version with Fassbender and I didn't care for it. Dragged on forever.

15. jetophile

Speaking of Frances McDormand, I know I mentioned this film years ago: Mississippi Burning. The history is a bit off (it's a fictionalized account), but she's so good in it. Pretty much everyone is. It's so racist, it's a really tough watch. The scene where Gene Hackman slices up Brad Dourif in the barber shop chair after he beats up his wife is great. Someone in the theatre yelled out slit his throat. A lot of emotions in that crowd.

16. jetophile

OK, so a number of years ago this documentary Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father was getting a lot of hype. I didn't read much about it I just saw half the people who saw it were extremely upset, and half the people who saw it crapped all over it (comments/mauudlin/exploitative).

I went into it half-blind, didn't read up on the case, and decided to give it a whirl. It was laggy in spots, but what an infuriating movie. I don't know if it was gender bias or what, but I never heard of something so messed up.

Those poor people. Total miscarriage of justice and so preventable. If you're going to be stupid and let her out on bail, don't give her custody of that baby. The Father/Grandfather, his rants were so painful, him and his wife eere so destroyed; but I have to hand it to him for his cursing streaks and. the way he fantasized about killing her. They basically had to kiss her ass when she was so obviously guilty of murder. I was kind of shocked the turn that it took.

I know this is full of spoilers, but I'm guessing most people have seen this movie by now. Listen, if you want to off yourself be my guest but why do you have to take someone else with you. So even cryptically, I gave the whole movie away, haha

#736 jetophile, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  17. jetophile

Saw 'Nomadland' last night. It was a little plodding in some parts, but basically it was a character study. Frances McDormand was great as always.

I'm good with camping and I love and live for the woods, but personally I need a conventional roof over my head unless I had no other choice.

A lot of nomads are forced into the van thing through necessity, other people choose it. I get it, though.

18. abyzmul

Time for Korean zombies.

Train to Busan

Passengers on a train during the beginning of a zombie apocalypse. Koreans love their stereotypical character types so much that they almost make a game out of it, if that and subtitles aren't a hang up for you and you enjoy the inventiveness of zombie movies (okay that's a lot of caveats) then check this one out.

Kingdom

This one is a streaming series on Netflix. More subtitles unless you're an overdub heathen. Zombie outbreak in feudal Korea. It is very well produced and there just something about period zombie flicks that are cool. Takes away a lot of the elements of safety we have today.

Cidusii and The Dark Knight like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Train to Busan is amazing.

Cidusii and abyzmul like this.
  20. abyzmul

I had it highly recommended. I thought the first 90 minutes were good but pretty standard zombie flick fare with an international flavor, then the last 30 minutes went berserker mode.