Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, it also helped Goff wasn't in a rookie year. I expect much much better results in 2022. The offensive line part though is where I am really disappointed. With a better offensively line I really feel we could be 2:0 right now. That was a huge miss by JD. I mean drafting AVT was cool, but not enough, even with Moses addition, and it is showing up in a major way.

Jets79 and PJ4Ever like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I agree the 7-9 record in 2019 was mirage, and it was actually a terrible team. But the 2021 team is also terrible and has all the makings of a 4-13 disaster.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

What were your expectations for this point in the season and how has the team show itself to be terrible already?

Edit:

I understand your concern a bit better now

I checked the prediction thread and you’re expecting 8 wins from the youngest team with the least starting experience in the league, lead by a first time head coach and a first time OC, and starting a rookie QB behind an OL that changed blocking schemes this offseason.

You weren’t alone, either.

8-9 would be a borderline playoff team. I don’t think that was ever in the cards, even without any injuries. The season is young and the defense looks pretty good, though. If they put it together on offense soon, who knows? Either way, I don’t think they’ve earned being called terrible just yet.

#303 Jets81, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Noam and MoWilkBeast like this.
  4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, I thought 5-7 wins was the likely range, so 4 would be low end acceptable and far from a disaster.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I predicted 6 if the team was injury free. 2 major hits on the lines already, but I still think they have a shot. Too soon to write them off as terrible compared to the Gase years.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I expected 7-8 wins from this team, here’s why, as I listened to Saleh and JD they emphasized the philosophy of the team was going to be a heavy run attack so they wouldn’t put unnecessary pressure on a rookie QB to carry the team.

They were building a team with that philosophy in mind. I expected strong oline play. I also expected Mims to be an outside WR with Elijah Moore an Crowder in the slot, creating nightmare matchups for opposing defenses.

The defense has lived up to my expectations, even though they have a young secondary.

Instead what Jets have done is lose their main LT to injury, Mims and Crowder will probably never see the field blowing up any of my dreams to see them killing defenses.

An OC who is literally doing the opposite and asking Wilson to carry the team.

What I envisioned based on what was said to fans and team on paper versus what is actually taking place on field are very different.

I will stick to my original 8 win prediction, if Lafleur and Saleh realize that Mims and Crowder can help this team and running the ball more will help slow things down for Wilson, Jets are going to transition into a more consistent offensive team.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We can use a live example. Nothing's a given but it looks like Arizona is well on their way to being a playoff team. That puts their trajectory on a three year path from 5-10-1 to 8-8 to ??

And let's not forget they fucked up the 2018 draft like we did (or fucked the player up), while playing in the toughest division in football.

#307 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 24, 2021
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No predictions from me yet

How bout we beat Denver?

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This may just be something that happens to a lot of also-ran teams but the Jets never seem like they can do things in the right order.

I don't care that it worked in Buffalo, I will never understand hiring a new GM after the old one has already completed the draft and free agency. Then the next season the GM is saddled with a lame duck coach and he does his best to draft for the existing team, then the next year the GM hires a coaching staff that has specific personnel requirements and they are in direct conflict to the draft class for the lame duck coach.

It all starts with that one bad timing move by an ownership team that walks around with their thumb in their ear. Timing can really be everything sometimes and the Jets are perpetually off rhythm.

10. endydee

endydee Active Member

We talk about how we have a rookie QB, and a rookie HC, but it seems we forget this is Joe Douglas’ first time as a GM. Even though not his first year, he is still very much learning his job, too. Is he perfect? Of course not, but who the fuck is?

I’ve been a Jets fans my whole life. I was 8, when I watched the Jets win SB III, and of course I’m disappointed they haven’t won, or even reached another SB. I feel the pain of it, and hear the mocking when people talk about the Jets. It is embarrassing in trying to defend my fandom. This NFL franchise has had few ups compared to the down times. They have been inept over the years, but I remain a loyal, emotionally invested fan, and will remain one until my last day.

So many on here were already ripping into this team six fucking minutes into the first quarter of the first game. All you should take a step back, evaluate the situation, and realize things take time. Especially when you have key personnel learning their craft. Don’t come back at me saying, it’s been 53 years. I know, I’ve lived through it too. But I’m optimistic in this GM, QB, and HC’s future, and am willing to give them time to develop, plan, and succeed. This time it feels different than SOJ, despite the outcomes of the first TWO games the season.

Those of you on here who cannot see the potential this ‘youngest team in the NFL’ has, and I’m not just talking age of players, but experience in the front office. You all need to stop dwelling on the past, and look forward to brighter Jets Nation, future. We are not the SOJ!

Joe Douglas got the job, not only because no other seasoned GM wanted the job. Sure, that may have factored in limiting the Jets options, but Joe Douglas got the GM position because he’s bright, and well regarded around the league. He has shown ability to work effectively in the draft process, making shrewd moves. I really think he’s going to become an outstanding GM in the NFL.

You just gotta give him, and this team so time to develop. Something many, if not most on here are not willing to do.

#310 endydee, Sep 24, 2021
  11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This only makes sense with results. I appreciate your "faith" In these new age Jets you are trying to paint them to be...

I have faith In things, this team Isn't one of them. I NEED a different result before I proclaim anything other than what I've seen, which is more of the same. SOJ.

They want fans to change the narrative, then they need to change the results. Otherwise It's more of the same, which equals insanity.

Jets-N-Terps, papapump, Borat and 5 others like this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

In Buffalo, McDermott was hired in January 2017. Beane was hired in May of that year after Whaley got canned. Not exactly the same situation as the Jets, but I get your point.

abyzmul likes this.
  13. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Quality post, brother. Way to go.

15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Until the Johnsons sell the team, there's no hope. Culture changes begin at the top, and they've given us no reason to expect that this franchise is going to pull its collective head out of its ass and do things the right way.

Cman68, IIMeanDeanII and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  16. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

You gotta give GMs 3-4 years to see what they're made of. Sure, this is a young team, but there have to be some more positive signs. At this point, when your punter and FG kicker is the only positive part of your game, there are issues.

Jets81 and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's not yet time to get rid of JD. I had faith in him, but at this point I have to admit, it's withering. His strategy seems sound, but the results are just not there, because players he identified and brought in as a part this strategy are not delivering. Of course you can't build Rome in a day. But at this point for this year all I was expecting is a support system for the new QB. Yet #1 item on that list, OL, looks like shit. #1 WR he got makes me miss more Robby Anderson, whom he let go. That can have permanent consequences on the new QB as well. I hate to say it but JD didn't meet the minimal objective for this year. Not by a long shot.

With all that said, we need to give him more time. Yes, he gets a D or worse so far, but he does have extensive football background, and we need to allow him to work his mistakes. We need to see it play out for another year and see if he can fix his mistakes. I hope he does.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He'll get to finish his 1st contract. Now if he gets a second is dependent on how much improvement we see between now and then. For a guy that supposedly concentrated on upgrading the OL, his moves have not panned out. Sad thing is, he played on the OL but evidently has a blindspot there. His FA's have been meh as Corey Davis is NOT a true #1 Wr. He drops waay too many passes. Letting Anderson go was a huge mistake. In fact, the correct move, utilizing my 20/20 hindsight would have been to keep Sam and still draft Zach. Let Sam play out the season and let Zach watch. Perhaps he listened to his HOF CS too much by not bringing a viable vet in (Josh Johnson...Really???) to play QB.

All in all, I'm not impressed as JD is good at accumulating draft picks, but not real good using them. He hoards Cap cash, but doesn't get the RoI when he spends it. The Jets are no better off today than they were on Gase's last day as HC even with the personnel changes. Not seeing any improvement on the OL but at least JD didn't promise Zach's mom he would get better protection for him.

Just another lost year in JetLand.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trading Darnold to *play* Wilson from game 1 was pure chutzpah.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

JD may have wanted to put his stamp on the Jets early on...

"Success has many fathers, but Failure is an orphan.."

NYJetsO12 likes this.