Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

... will be a good player once he gets out of new york.

2. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Was not trying to compare Petty to Wilson! Because no comparison. But I do like the your comparison to Morgan! Neither are in the starting QB conversation. That is very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cman68 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO saying that it is "concrete" is silly. Neither you nor any of us have all the facts, know for certain what Saleh and LaFleur think or what their reasons are for what they do. Regarding Mims, they could be telling the truth, and it's just a matter os their being so much WR talent and they've decided to let him sit and learn this year, or they could be just saying that to keep Mims trade value higher in hopes that some team will call them before the trade deadline and inquire about Mims. You could be right, but IMO your mind is too set, too made up on this issue. The Jets can carry only so many RBs and so many WRs on the active game-day roster. All of our RBs are talented as are all of our WRs, or they wouldn't be on the team. It makes little or no difference that JD drafted Mims and Perine. Neither Saleh, LaFleur nor the other offensive coaches have any allegiance to them because they weren't here when they were drafted. The other players were added since Saleh, LaFleur and company became part of the decision-making process or are solid veterans with more experience than either Mims or Perine. For whatever reasons, LaFleur may not feel as comfortable with Mims and Perine as he does the other WRs and RBs that were added this offseason and who were here in OTAs. Saleh may be in lockstep with LaFleur on all of this, or he may be merely supporting one of his best friends in whatever decision he makes.

At this point, we're all just guessing and speculating. Nothing is set in concrete (that we can be aware of).

4. NCJetsfan

OUCH! Thanks for posting this. I had clearly forgotten this.

K'OB likes this.
  5. Sack exchange

I understand your point, but they are at the bare bottom of depth chart, and weekly in-actives. That makes it obvious that does not bode well for their future with jets. My personal opinion is that mims has upside and pulling for him. I think at very least he could be 3rd/4th WR. If all falls right even a starter. Perine, you may be right, I am leaning that he is not going to pan out. I think if they were late picks, they may have been gone already. Since higher picks of JD, they will give them EVERY chance to develop. JD makes personnel decisions with recommendation of the coaching staff. He needs to salvage his legacy if at all possible. If he absolutely believes it is time to move on, he will move on, if it is clear that is the right direction, but will not give up on them too quickly (inactive/PS). They are not on the field. Same goes for Zuniga and Morgan. Although Zuniga is one step closer to his end with jets. Morgan is gone by his choice. It was his investment of draft capitol.

#525 Sack exchange, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

True. Petty got play time

mims is probably going to be more like shonne greene. He was inactive a lot when Rex first got him because we had a few veterans he preferred while we got the rookie qb comfortable. He ended up having a big role though. It just has to play out first. The good thing is all this hand wringing is highly entertaining.

PJ4Ever and Sack exchange like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Glad that we can keep you entertained! For us peons, it gives us something to talk about and ponder. LOL

8. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

That's fair enough. I like Berrios, my worry is less about which of them to sit and more about their skillsets being duplicative. Berrios won't be opening up the underneath routes for Moore and vice versa. Need a deep threat with some length and ability to win over the top. It's also a problem in the red zone

RochesterJet likes this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Just think of it this way.

The Jets are a pretty decent farm team for the rest of the league.

They were much better when they were assigned directly to the Patriots though.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Size is overrated if they can't get open and catch contested balls. Mims wasn't some sort of dynamic leaper in college. He caught some basket catches and pinned deep balls against his chest but he wasn't a high pointer.

abyzmul likes this.
  11. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Idk what the story is but we would be absolutely KILLING Gase if he was doing this. Giving Saleh benefit of the doubt but this offense needs all the help it can get.. Jeff Smith and Berrios aren't going to suddenly breakout and be stars

12. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Perhaps you were watching Stephen Hill highlights. Mims caught plenty of jump fades/jump balls in the EZ in college. He was making acrobatic catches on the regular. Literally half this video is exactly that:

13. abyzmul

I guess it comes down to whether you want Zach to become accustomed to throwing to covered receivers versus open receivers.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

I wasn't watching any highlights. I followed his entire career and won a boatload of money on Baylor his senior year as they were underdogs for damn near the whole year while almost running the table with Rhule and Brewer and friends.

So you found a five minute highlight tape that shows half of the catches being jump balls that he won and barely got off the turf to catch? Yeah they look nice dude. That's not the majority of what he did his entire career. He ran by terrible defensive backs in the rush 3, drop 8 zones and was just faster than most of them.

He was very similar to how Josh Doctson was at TCU. Not a lot of twitch or receiver ability, but a ton of speed and looked good catching deep balls with 3 yards of separation.

abyzmul likes this.
  15. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Baylor WR Denzel Mims 2019 Highlights - Bing video

Just stop...Look at the 1:20 TD, 2:04 "Sticky Paws" TD...Mims should be used in the Red Zone at the very least.

Yet we keep running out diminutive slot receivers in the Red Zone and wonder why we arn't scoring Touchdowns.

But hey, at least we have a gunner on ST's and a Punt returning taking up 2 roster spots....PLAY THE MAN!

alleycat9 and King Koopa like this.
  16. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I just watched a video with all of his NFL catches on it from last season and I’m convinced more than ever that he’s a player….His ball skills are really good on fades/ 1 on 1s and stand out

I’m at a loss for how a rookie WR that showed his capabilities can end up buried likes this the next season.

Hopefully everyone figures it out because I think he has a real future and can also help Zach

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah great point. The coaching staff has a weird stick up their ass about him and definitely can't see what we can see. They're willing to give away talent at the position to lose games.

FJF and REVISion like this.
  18. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is snarky or not, but you're right.

I'm convinced that there is some sort of internal drama with Mims and LeFlure. Fact remains that Mims, Davis and Moore are the three most physically gifted receivers on the team. One of them has seen 2 snaps in the first 120 Mins of the season.

Hope Mims is at least dressed this weekend, but it doesn't look like his chances are good

19. abyzmul

Well, the CS keeps talking up his great week of practice, so logic would dictate that he's in the playbook for at least a few plays on offense. Whether or not those plays are used is another story I guess.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  20. Sack exchange

It was the whole say something nice, then give the something not positive. He said how great he was, then explained the determination of the active roster. I think he blowing smoke up our asses. I hope he is active. Unless Crowder is out, I don’t think he will be unfortunately.