No two ways about it...Zach laid an egg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 19, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This could be why Zach wasn't stepping into throws and threw off his back feet a lot vs. the Patriots. It may not have been nervousness about the pass rush, but pain that limited him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's what I surmised a few days ago when I noted that he didn't have the same zip on the ball as previously, and seemed to be "short arming" his throws. Hopefully it's not serious and heals quickly, and more importantly, doesn't lead to other injuries as he tries to protect the injured area and reduce the pain from it which is often how serious injuries occur.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Does there ever come a point when so much is going wrong that the player needs to be taken off the field to preserve his physical and mental health? Physical injury and seeing ghosts are not productive in the long run. The problem is that the Jets don't have a viable backup. Maybe it's time to rotate in White in garbage time to at least give him a taste of the situation before he's needed for real.

I agree 100% that what happens this year really doesn't matter - the team is going nowhere and is why I had no problem with letting Wilson start his career by watching for a while and he could be the garbage time guy while he learns. Seventeen games would give him plenty of time to increase his reps without killing him. Again, the problem is no viable guy to take the lead for a while.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Not excusing Zach's game at all but I thought LaFleur's play calling was suspect. Lots of max protects against 7 and 8 men in coverage.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

Maybe Zach needs to learn how - and be given the freedom to - change calls at the LOS.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Usually QBs call their own protection - this is generally one of the hardest things for a rookie QB to learn. Zach probably already has some control over his protections although he might have less than a veteran QB has. It might also be that the Oline players and the tight ends were being extra protective after the disastrous protection they had against Carolina. I guess time will tell.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

JT’s the best in the business IMO.

Ptflea2, Borat, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  8. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This was good.

It concerns me just how much we are "max protecting". I said It last week, If we are constantly being forced to max protect, we are going to handcuff ourselves every week. It's not a good look. Which I also believe Is contributing to the limitations of the play designs too. Can they be better regardless, I would hope so, still. A lot of disfunction right now for this offense. Even the WR to me look like they aren't going full effort on a lot of these plays, It may just be me, but, I don't think so. Which then makes me wonder, how the fuck Is Mims so far In the doghouse with this CS.

Shit Is a bad look. All the way around.

If this Is what the "best offense In the world" looks like, we're fucked.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This video made me realize just how bad the play-calling was on all of these. Thanks for sharing!

Like JT said during his video, at the end of the day these are still on Zach but it's clear LaFleur didn't do him any favors on these. Still, Zach has to be more careful with the ball and make better decisions.

Here's to hoping that both Zach and LaFleur work through their rookie struggles sooner rather than later.

11. ColoradoContrails

Agree, JT is great. He makes it very clear what's going on and enables you to see it.

And this is the fairest, most accurate assessment of of what happened: Zach made some bad decisions, had some accuracy issues, the OL struggled again (though they were better than Week 1 - how could they not be?), play design/play calls left a lot to be desired.

As I digest more of this game, and with the help of this video, I think Zach needs to be reminded to:

1. Don't be afraid to take the short throws.
    2. Don't be afraid to throw it OOB.
    3. If there is no check down receiver to throw to, look to take off and run it instead of forcing iffy passes.

Thanks for the video!

legler82 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Pardon me if this sounds like Deja Vu all over again. We got rid of our old coaching staff because they called bad plays and couldn't coach, we got rid of our old QB because he didn't do anything right, we trashed the old OL because they couldn't block. When you trade in your old clunker for a brand new car you don't expect to find the new car has the same problems as the old car.

legler82 and Br4d like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What I don't understand about LaFleur's play calling coupled with Wilson's decisions is that they're trying to go up 21-0 early in the game with three or four plays. Short passing game opens up the long passing game. It can work vice versa but we don't have the protection to deploy that sort of strategy.

Wilson looked pretty good taking what was there in week one. Maybe the crowd and home opener excitement got to LaFleur and he was ready to beat the Patriots into next year and Wilson followed the mentality.

A five yard pass on first or second down is a win.

14. legler82

I thought he was the preferred choice because of his quick release/decision making which made him the “ideal fit” in Shanahan’s short passing concepts. Why aren’t we doing that more? Davis & Moore seem like big YAC guys to me. I think we should be getting them the ball early and on the move & let them work.

Acad23 and westiedog1 like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

That's not what Shanahan wants to do (can't speak to LaFleur), but Shanahan wants to throw the ball down field ala 2017 Falcons. He just has a scared puppy at quarterback so he's adjusted appropriately so he's not so scared back there.

legler82 likes this.
  16. legler82

I don’t think we have the personnel to be attacking downfield but maybe it’s just me.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Neither do I especially given that that's no real big threat of a running game (you pointed it out in the other thread - New England played two high and off coverage and let us run) and an offensive line that can't protect with only seven in the pattern.

Our offense needs to be retrofit to support the personnel not round peg square hole "the system is the system we'll find out who fits" bullshit.

Elijah Moore should be getting the ball in space aka Deebo Samuel. Berrios is the only guy being used correctly and Corey Davis needs to be running a 7 yard slant or a 9 yard hard stop in any direction on every play.

EDIT: Also - where the fook are the jet sweeps and tap passes and motion across the QBs face/back? McVay and Shanahan run those on damn near every snap. Green Bay LaFleur as well to a lesser extent. Maybe I'm misremembering but I feel like I haven't seen one?

#317 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and legler82 like this.
  18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Here is Tim Jenkin's Week 2 breakdown. Normally, Jenkin's puts out the best video QB break down but on this video he seemed a bit short on details on a few plays possibly because he looked at so many plays . That and I disagree with Jenkins about the 2nd INT being a good decision

#318 Noam, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There was a Jet sweep against Carolina (Moore) that got immediately blown up.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Was it that douchebag Greg Van Roten who ruined the play?