The big question for Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Well if there is one thing we saw from week 1 to week 2, it was the adjustments our coaching staff is able to make.

The offensive line was piss poor week 1. We could not run the ball for shit and Wilson was getting destroyed every play. Week 2 our line played very well and we ran the ball efficiently all game.

I trust in this coaching staff more than I have trusted one before. Saleh will work with Lafleur to make the adjustments. Saleh was immediately putting out those vibes when he was saying Zach needs to be "boring".

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like uh, your darkside opinion, man.

[​IMG]

Brook!, NYGANGGREEN and Cman68 like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, that is next season so perhaps its not so dark afterall..

Brook!, NYGANGGREEN and Acad23 like this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree…don’t want to see runs into the line on first and second downs, but I do think the play calling has sucked ass so far. There are definitely easier passes to call when trying to get a new QB settled in. Let him throw a few check downs to a RB in the flat…where are the quick slants that worked well in preseason? It’s ok to call some 5 yard passes just to get him in a groove. There are changes that need to be made in the playcalling that would help

REVISion likes this.
  5. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Oh yeah - to be clear - I agree that adjustments need to be made. I just know that a poor coaching staff would start 'turtling' on offense.

Saleh should not be sacrificing Zach's progression for some meaningless wins.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cval likes this.
  6. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Nate Peterman threw 5 int's his first 2 starts. Look how that worked out.
    I think Wilson will work it out but the Peyton interception comparison doesn't show us much.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Gruden seems to like him in LV

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Bill Barnwell this morning in an article ranking the worst of the 0-2 teams. He has our Jets as the worst and provided some pretty eye-opening statistics on Wilson:

Wilson has looked overmatched for most of his first pro starts. Leave aside the snaps he took with a win expectancy below 5% and the No. 2 overall pick in April's draft is 18-of-39 passing (46.2%) for 206 yards with a touchdown and five picks

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...ess-giants-colts-vikings-others-make-playoffs

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Who the F*** is Bill Barnwell and why do we care what he thinks of Zach?

IDFjet, NYJetsO12 and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He's one of ESPN's better writers in my personal opinion. He used to run "Grantland" on their website which was an analytically focused section of ESPN (along with weird pop culture stuff for some reason) because he came from Football Outsiders one of the initial forays into the space of football analytics. Grantland has been sunsetted but he still writes at ESPN

You don't have to care what he thinks about Zach Wilson. I was just sharing what the man wrote

Footballgod214 likes this.
  11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Barnwell is a Pats homer but he also has an analytical approach to football that is severely lacking in Jetsland.

Ralebird and REVISion like this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I thought I missed some real insight somewhere. :)

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, you always have Nania.

cval likes this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I am going to have to watch this damn movie at some point lol

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Crucial game to change the offensive game plan

It has to be 60 percent run and 40 percent pass

I will take a "boring" Wilson over a loose cannon all day

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. Br4d

The Jets don't run well enough to do that. 50/50 will keep the defense guessing enough for both the run game and the pass game to make some plays.

The Jets and Steelers teams that went 60/40 had strong running games to back that up.

The Jets are about two to three games away from a total calamity if the offense can't score some points here and there. By calamity I mean the build around Wilson will be effectively over and the current regime will have one foot out the door.

The Broncos are very likely to shut down the Jets no matter what the game plan is - good defense at home and in thin air. Odds on the Jets being functional under those constraints are probably 15/85.

Game 4 against the Titans at home and game 5 against the Falcons on the road are where the Jets need to have things squared away on deck or they're going to begin taking on water really quickly.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what we should have been running since day 1.

When I was OK with ZW starting, I assumed Saleh would NOT put the game on ZW's arm and have him drop back 30-40 times a game. I thought Saleh would put Zach's development and SAFETY above winning every game at all costs.

I was wrong.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure I agree that the coaching staff will be out the door but I do agree that we have to start showing SOMETHING on offense. We are averaging what, 10 points per game? Yes a couple of good defenses but regardless that flat out sucks.

problem is that at Denver is not the place for us to improve. First, their defense is right up there with Carolina and NE I think…Von Miller is going to be tough to stop. Second, that home field advantage is real. Third, for whatever reason, we just NEVER beat that team. Much like Philly and Pitt and NE, they just have our number.

I think Denver has all the potential to be every bit as bad as the first two games were.

and then Tennessee is no layup either. Realistically, I think we go into the Atlanta game 0-4, and maybe have a shot to win that one.

Yet again, two games in and the season looks like another lost cause outside of the ‘ole building for next year development of the QB and young guys angle. Great. How many of those have we already lived through. I want to believe this one is different as I do like JD and Saleh more than the previous regimes, but honestly, JDs first draft class is looking uglier by the week, and the playcalling looks like amateur hour so far…at least the defense is looking better than expected I guess, so there is that. But Wilson is going to have to do some serious development for this season to be considered a success even if the final record sucks.

BrooklynJetsFan, Br4d and westiedog1 like this.
  19. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Anyone heard the term "walk before you run"? This is on LaFleur. You cannot allow a rookie QB to fling the football carelessly around like this is some sandlot game. If I paid $300 for a ticket to the gray mausoleum to watch last Sundays game, I would have been livid seeing that, and probably would have gone home at halftime. You can see that kind of football for free at any local field with a bunch of pick up guys getting together to play. Wilson needs coaching and education about the NFL game. Keeping him upright will help his development as well but they have got to get him into rhythm with some easy throws early on in these games and have some sort of control over his pass selection. If we are running the ball well like we were last week, there is no reason to deviate from that and fling 40 yard passes every other play.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. Br4d

This season is definitely not about winning. It's about showing some competence and progression. It's about Zach Wilson showing that he belongs at the NFL level. It's about the Jet's offense breaking out of a 5+ year slump at this point, one that goes back to the Fitzmagic season. The Jets have only reached 300 pts on offense once in the last 5 seasons.

If the Jets can't demonstrate some real progress on offense by the end of the season this regime does not stand a snowball's chance in hell.

Right now the closest comparison to the Jets last 5 years is the Lions miserable record from 2001 to 2005. That was another team led by a guy who should have known what he was doing based on pedigree (Matt Millen) but who just kept screwing things up. Their Zach Wilson was Joey Harrington, a strong-armed guy who just didn't have a clue how to play QB in the NFL. Hopefully we don't wind up drafting 1st round WR after WR trying to fix a guy who isn't broken but isn't good enough to play QB in the NFL.

You can find some pretty damn good receivers and if your QB isn't at the level he needs to be it won't matter.