Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Your guess is as good as mine on that particular play. I'd wonder what he would have brought in the Red Zone...This is where we can utilize him over the diminutive Barrios types...

Hope we get to see some Mims action in the coming weeks and we can all analyze his play instead of the hypotheticals.

What we do know is Mims is averaging 40 yards per catch this year on 2 snaps...We need a larger sample size is all us Mims guys are saying

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

which I get. I mean I like mims as well but I also understand the coaches point of view. remember he is only in year 2 and year 1 he was banged up and in a different offense. Lots of WRs take 2-3 years to develop. that could just be how mims is. we have 3 WRs (cole, berrios, and crowder) on their final year. I think we keep berrios but cole and crowder are likely gone making room for mims to move up. This could just be a learning year for him and we have a rookie QB, do you want a guy on the field you don't trust to run the right route with your rookie QB? or do you take guys off the field your rookie QB is comfortable with? mims mostly ran with the scout team, zach has barely thrown to him. he has chemistry with davis, moore and berrios. zach is more important then mims, I don't think anyone here would disagree with that. mims will have his chance, just not right now. fans have to be patient.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Mims would have helped against NE’s tight man coverage. What he lacks in route running, he makes up in his ability to beat you vertically and make contested catches.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I understand not wanting a receiver out there that does not understand route running for your rookie QB. This coach has committed to a youth movement and playing Cole that is on a one year contract will not help Zach. On top of that Cole is not 100%. Play Mims, let him play his way in or out of the roster.

Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

according to some, mims has work to do to earn a spot on the 48 ... but moore can miss half of training camp, not play specials, drop passes, and allegedly run incorrect routes that lead to an interception and not only have a spot on the active roster, but a starting role to boot

for the record, i like that moore is playing a lot and learning as he goes ... i just dont get why he's afforded that opportunity but mims isnt

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Don't you know? It's because posters here have annointed Moore with superstar status. Mims is just dreck, the lowly 59th pick in the draft. Moore was taken at pick #34, 25 spots earlier in the draft, why he's practically a 1st rounder and Mims practically a 3rd rounder!!!

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Because Moore and Mims play two totally different positions and as has been said numerous times, Moore is in the starting rotation. If Mims is not, he needs to learn special teams to be a part of the starting rotation.

And not for nothing, but Moore had been tearing it up in training camp and was the talk of the town every practice. Meanwhile Mims was dealing with food poisoning and playing with the 3s and 4s.

Still not sure why this is so difficult to understand

Ralebird and REVISion like this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Because by all accounts out of training camp Moore is probably the most talented receiver we've had in years. I don't remember our beat writers ever raving about anyone as much as him.

Moore may have run an incorrect route but who's to say that wouldn't have been three incorrect routes with Mims out there instead?

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  9. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

no shit moore is in the starting rotation ... my point is that practicing for two weeks is hardly enough of a body of work to lock down a spot in the starting rotation

rotate the young players so they all gain experience and dont burn out by midseason ... not sure why that is a difficult concept to grasp

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Falco21

The starting rotation is 3 receivers. Mims is not part of that rotation. Davis, Crowder, and Moore are.

That leaves two spots remaining. Berrios is our punt return/kick returner, and frankly has been a solid receiver. Jeff Smith is our starting gunner. Where does Mims fit there?

And if you want to carry 6 receivers, then Cole is going to be there as he is better than Mims. So you want us to carry 7 receivers when the 7th guy has no idea how to play special teams?

Again, how is this such a hard concept to grasp

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe there's more going on than we can see, but if Mims doesn't know the playbook, and/or doesn't run good crisp routes, he's not going to see the field. Anyone who watched the game on Sunday can see what poor route running leads to. Of the course that begs the question: Could Mims really not do better than that? Apparently the coaches believe he can't at this point. That said, maybe after seeing what the receivers did, they decide to give him a shot, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

12. RochesterJet

We all seem to be repeating ourselves in this thread.
    Barrios, Crowder, Moore and Jeff Smith are redundant in terms of physical attributes and position. The only reason Barrios is getting targets is because Crowder and Cole have been out.
    If you want to carry Braxton so he can take a knee on kickoffs and fair catch punts over a guy who wins jump balls in the Red Zone then I don't know what to tell you.

Cole can return punts and so can crowder.
    In terms of a Gunner...I'm sure Hardee and Dunn would be just fine...Is that were we're really at now, Gunners and Punt returners getting spots over a 6'4 4.3- 40 receiver who wins jump balls...this is why we're the Jets

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

My guess would be one was drafted by the current coach and gm and the other wasn’t.

#473 FJF, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Cman68 and abyzmul like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

15. RochesterJet

There is way more to this story...There is a rift between Mims and the staff FOR SURE.

Jets81, JetsNation06, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  16. Falco21

I'm leaning this way also. I think there is something going on behind the scenes.

I've had this thought since that whole "food poisoning" bullshit, but now I'm really thinking this is the case.

Jets79, Cman68 and RochesterJet like this.
  17. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Great coaches figure out ways to get their players into the best position to help the team, not scratch them out over nonsensical and / or idiotic personal bias / general principles. This team is devoid of TE talent. Teach Mims to be a hybrid TE. If he can block people, it is a no brainer. Make him like Enunwa was. Look, for a perennially losing organization, any skilled players we have need to be utilized and sometimes it takes a bit of ingenuity to figure out how. If an idiot like me can think of this, why can't the football people? Personally, I think Mims could develop into an awesome TE if as I said, he learns how to block and bulks up a little.

rickjet and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

the bolded

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

#FreeMims

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

TE is a harder position to learn than WR. If Mims is having trouble getting the hang of his own position why would we expect him to flourish at TE? He's also well below the weight he'd need to be to be a TE. It takes a long time to put on the muscle he'd have to, like years.

FJF likes this.