This analysis of Zach's INTs and throws makes me feel better

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MowTin, Sep 21, 2021.

1. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

1. The throws aren't as bad as they looked. One is off Davis' hands and another is WR running wrong route.

2. The analysis doesn't say this but I feel the other two were terrible route running and play calls. Davis does nothing to get separation and Jackson is all over him.

3. Also, the first interception is a terrible play. The WR runs a diagonal right down the middle and stops. If you overthrow it the ball goes straight to the safety.

Bad plays and bad route running doesn't make it easy for your rookie.

The most concerning thing is the passes he didn't throw later in the game because he was either scared or told to play boring.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well OK...onward and upward

He's scared and has no checkdowns. Got it

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The one play he said he should have not throw the check down he was running to his left with a defender baring down on him he flips his hips and makes a great throw. No way he could have made the throw to the deeper receiver.

Also, on the other play to the right was not Zach playing scared he had a rusher on him and barely got the ball off. The criticism on that play is maybe he was late on the throw.

Like this guy said nothing to be concerned about just a rookie and some bad luck.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Zach’s ball placement so far leaves something to be desired. It’s more noticeable against tight man coverage. In college it was filed under “giving his receivers a chance to make a play”. Unfortunately, in he NFL that also gives the CBs a chance as well. It’s something I will be paying close attention to all year. Aside from the 4 INTs I counted a couple other interceptable passes. He’s got to work on placing the ball where only his WR has a chance and no one else. An incompletion hurts CMP% but it’s better than an INT. Just my 2 cents.

#4 legler82, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    NYJFOREVER, Ralebird and Borat like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good breakdown and analysis. Thanks!

6. ColoradoContrails

Fair assessment.

It looked to me that he was "short-arming" his throws. I'm wondering if he got hurt in the Carolina game. This game didn't seem like he had quite the same zip on the ball.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Patriots had him off his spot all game long. There was almost never an opportunity to step forward into the pocket so he was the proverbial Sam Darnold-esque cow on ice most of the game. We saw during the Super Bowl what the real Pat Mahomes looks like when he's pushed sideways and back all game, he looked like shit.

And we saw what the Chiefs did in response, built a monster line and accidentally made Douglas look like he didn't exist in the process.

ouchy, Brook! and Falco21 like this.
  8. legler82

If you recall I never bought into the Mahomes/Rodgers arm talent type hype. I got into many or so heated arguments on here about that. So I’m probably the wrong person to talk on this subject but since you brought it up. I would say his “zip” is about what I expected. I would personally classify it as inconsistent more so than lacking. This inconsistency is what I saw at BYU and it continues. Conversely, the aforementioned future Hall of Famers display a consistent level of arm strength. Hence why they seemingly tend to get away on a regular basis certain throws that the mere mortal NFL QBs do not. Maybe this can be remedied with strength training.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's udderly ridiculous imagery of a cow on ice, but I LOVE it! It cracks me up every time.

Centiment likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

And just so we're clear, I too never said he had quite that level of arm talent. Still, there seemed to be something off to me about some of his throws. Hopefully it's nothing other than the inconsistency you mention.

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Wilson beat up the Opposition during the Preseason..was I fooled watching him roll over the bench warmers?? I hope and pray I wasn't

If he wins a game for us now he's back on Hero status

Of course he and our new CS have to beat more than one opponent right?

Salehs D will keep us in games till they are ready to drop but I need to see us score some fu*cking points

So there it is in a nutshell

#11 NYJetsO12, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Ralebird likes this.
  12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This guy got several of the coverages wrong, I also think Zach struggles against zone more than man coverage. This guy did make some good points, after watching the second INT, I no longer blame Wilson for It like I was. I never acknowledged the underneath defender and he did need to throw It over the defender to make that throw. I still think he went a bit too high though. Some of the plays were not aligned with what the Patriots were doing, I agree that ML needed more plays to beat man coverage, but, I felt that the Patriots played much more zone than man coverage In this game. Nothing fancy either, just straight up defense.

Wilson has to be better. It's okay to throw It away.

I'm disappointed with our WR as well, a lot of plays (not just the INT's) these WR simply weren't getting separation. It was kind of a halfass'd effort from our WR. IMO

..and somehow, some way, Mims can't even play an active role, let alone be on that field. It blows my mind. Concerning. It's concerning.

13. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

On the 3rd and 4th ints, he throws off his back foot. I don't know why these analyses aren't talking about this more. If he drives the ball down the field on the third one and puts it out where only his receiver can get it, it is either a big gain or an incompletion. On the 4th one, if he throws it hard and leans into it instead of floating it off his back foot, again he's got a chance to put it where only his guy can get it closer to the side line.

I know that is BIG TIME MMQB'ing, but it looks really obvious in the all 22 tape.

With respect to the guy doing the video, he is damn good! When I initially saw him, I thought there is no way this f'ing guy has any idea what he is talking about, but you shouldn't judge a book by its cover...

14. legler82

Throwing off his back foot, weird arm angles & off platform were what made him the sexy pick. Remember all the hoopla over his pro day? This is what we signed up for. This is Zach Wilson’s game. This was not hidden in the fine print. If you take take that away, then he’s a different player. The question continues to be will he be able to get away & be successful with his style of play in the NFL like he did/was in college. Time will tell.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I prefer this in-depth analysis...

16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

High quality from a 12 year old.

Mark Lattimer, FJF and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

meh not a great video.

INT 1) He claims he could have picked it cleanly. not true at all. it was a great play for him to get a hand on it. He also shows the wrong route for davis and didn't understand what was really happening. also didn't point out the pressure against a maz protect that rushed the throw.

INT2) he says drag routes are good against a 4 flat zone? what? lol. Other then that don't disagree with the rest of his breakdown on it

INT 3) I love the view point. you can actually see moore has him beat on the break and tha's when zach throws it. jackson makes a great play on the ball. This is the play saleh said moore ran the wrong route so maybe he was supposed to come in more but instead jackson came in and jumped it. this looked worse on the camera angles during the game but on the all 22 film I can't really blame zach for this one. moore was open when he threw it and if moore ran the wrong route it's on him. if he ran it right then it's just a poor throw on zach but the decision was good

INT 4) no complaint on this one.

Noam likes this.