Zach Wilson INTs broken down week 2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 20, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not just that 1 play though. i'll check it more when the replay is up on sunday ticket but it seemed he was so focused on davis many plays that he missed open recievers and forced balls. i understand davis is the primary on a lot of plays but if it isn't there go through progressions. It could just be confidence in his arm to fit it in anywhere

2. GasedAndConfused

true, but at the end of the day he still made the play. if eli manning only made smart throws he would have never won 2 superbowls. sometimes you have to have confidence to make the bad decision into a good play. WRs are players too, they will make plays for you. davis just didn't make the play.

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

There is a time and place for taking risks. On third and long late in the game when you are down one score this is the throw to make. But on your 2nd pass of the game where you are trying to build some rhythm I think it is an unnecessary risk. Like Saleh said take the easy boring check down that moves the chain.

I understand that Zach trusts CD but this was a good learning moment. Neither of the 1st two INTs were bad plays on Zach's part but they are good teaching moments of when not to take risks. This whole year is one huge learning curve but this game hopefully will be a big learning curve for Zach. He did not play poorly in this game but ratherpaid dearly for being aggressive. It might have been bad luck along with 2 great plays by NE but it demonstrates how taking small chances can cost so much. I am really curious to see how he reacts and who we see against Denver. I am not sure if everyone saw the tackle Wilson made after the 4th INT but he looked pissed and really laid out to hit that guy.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that it didn't just happen on one play. I think he does focus on Davis too much. It's kind of odd because he and Moore connected so often during TC, and it's like Zach doesn't trust him as much as he did. Has he thrown a pass to Cole at all?

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! Zach said in an interview that if he only makes safe throws, the Jets will never win anything. One has to take calculated risks.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't think he was forcing it to Davis. Davis was quite open, the throw was a little high and Davis failed to catch it or even alter the path enough to prevent an interception.

It was the right decision by Wilson. If you have two guys clearly open, one significantly deeper than the other, you take the deeper option. The outcome of the play doesn't change the fact that the decision was correct by Wilson.

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’m working with on a video for all 4 picks

IDFjet, Footballgod214 and Noam like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

not sure if cole has a target but ZW did say flat out he has the most chemistry with davis

9. GasedAndConfused

kroft was open deeper then davis and it was a safer throw. nobody behind him, if it's high it's just incomplete not picked off

BrooklynJetsFan, Ralebird and Noam like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

After week 1 where Zack got beating down, Saleh said the pressure on Zack was not all the olines fault. Saleh blamed WRs not getting open, play calling, and he laid some blame on Zack for holding the ball too long. Saleh: "He has to get the ball out faster".

I bet there was an emphasis last week in practice for Z to get the ball out QUICK in 2 seconds or less....essentially his first read, then quick check down. If Z pats the ball 2 times his throw will be late.

With that being said, Zack may have been 'rushing himself' trying to get the ball out FAST. Rather than second guessing himself and brining the ball back down, or waiting that extra drumbeat for the WR to get a bit 'more open', he was just flinging it fast, without hesitation.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree with Gazed that Kroft looks like the safer option although Zach has a lot of trust in CD which might make it seem safer.

One of the problems with the 2nd INT was Davis was slow to get his hands up and Zach put a lot of velocity on the ball to fit it into a tight window.

12. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

He was letting it rip way too fast - but he also needed to be coached properly. they are in zone coverage and not blitzing alot so you have time to read. This is about in-game adjustments LaFleur needs to communicate this in his ear while on the sidelines. The biggest question mark on this team is LaFleur IMHO.

cval likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

INT 4

No great angles on this one but i'll do what I can.

[​IMG]

Here is the lineup at the snap. Zach is in the shotgun. Berrios goes in motion and nobody moves which usually means zone defense. zach should know this. we have 2 WRs at the bottom Davis in the slot and moore on the outside. Kroft is the TE at the top of the screen. Mind you it's 2nd and 28.

[​IMG]
    As the snap happens Berrios runs the wheel route, Kroft stays in to block. the RB ty johnson stays in as a pass protector to pick up a blitz. NE rushes only 3 and drops 8 back into zones against 3 players for the jets running routes. not great odds obviously for 1 to get open but pass protection should be great with a 7 on 3. It's tough to tell the routes with the camera angles but it looks like moore runs a streak and davis runs a seam route. Honestly not a great playcall on 2nd and 28 while down 10. You have to assume at that point NE will play safe and do a prevent. not a great time to go deep. he did have berrios on the wheel route as a safe option but something like an overload WR screen would have been much more effective

[​IMG]

As expected pass protection is good since it's 7v3 however we see more poor o-line pick ups and ty not being smart either. kroft is left 1V1 vs a rusher. not great when ty, GVR, and fant are blocking nobody. Ty should have went to help kroft, GVR could have helped moses, AVT and Mcgovern got their double team. Fant had nobody to block as his man backed off into a zone so fant is good blocking nobody. You also see one NE player crash down into the short zone to stop berrios form being an option but clearly zach isn't looking his way. he's keyed into his 2 deep WRs who are next to each other and makes it really easy for NE to play a zone here with only 2 guys against 7 in deeper zones and both in the same area.

[​IMG]
    Here 1 rusher breaks free and i'll give kfort a ton of credit. he held his own 1v1 for more then long enough. zach feels it and does a jump back release pass.

[​IMG]
    Ball is up and at this point it gets tough to interpret from the angles. We do see davis is open. it's possible zach just sailed it. the ball is wobbly and he was way off balance and trying to drive it.

[​IMG]
    Here is option 2, it's possible he didn't see the NE defender deep and thought moore was behind the defense and tried to lead him to an easy TD had that defender not been there. but he was and he picks it off

[​IMG]
    Lets give him some credit on the diving tackle during the return though.

So who's at fault here? While I do think it's a shit playcall, at least from the angles we seen it looks like davis was open in a hole in the zone. He was the only one though. Moore had under and over coverage and berrios was covered short. On 2nd and 28, you try and pick up 10 and make it manageable. you don't go for it all against a very predictable prevent zone defense. If moore and davis block and the play is a WR screen to berrios already in motion and Ty comes out of the backfield to block for him as well we can pick up probably close to half and make it 3rd and 14. Either way this is on zach I just can't tell if it was a bad throw over davis's head or a bad decision where he didn't see the defender over the top of moore and threw it right to him. it's a guess between those 2 but either way it's zachs fault for sure on this.