Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Cole, Crowder, and Berrios are FAs at the end of the year.

blackssmagic likes this.
  2. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I don't really see why this is so tough to understand. You can have a guy as the last receiver active who can fill in on the outside for maybe 3/4 snaps a game spelling your starter, and maybe more in quite limited circumstances. Or you can have a guy who is really versatile, reliable, plays STs and allows you to shuffle the receivers about, albeit he has a much lower ceiling. I know which I'd go in with.

FJF likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not sure what kind of case you are making here?

4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Mims has to beat Cole, not Jeff Smith- Smith plays teams as a gunner and Cole isn't on teams at all.

When Crowder comes back, Berrios is back to back-up duty and those catches you referenced are Crowders. Moore is also in the mix and has zero special teams snaps.

SO in essence, we are keeping Berrios as a punt returner and Kickoff guy (which isn't a win with the new rules) over Mims who has game breaking ability. Again, once Crowder comes back, Braxton is back to that role and a roster spot to field punts...

So pick what you want, Crowder returning punts AND Mims with game breaking abilities getting snaps OR Braxton fielding punts with Mims sitting on the bench. Mismanagement of the roster IMO.

blackssmagic and JetsNation06 like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

and he hasn't beat cole thats the point. maybe it's just mental maybe not. I get that mims was a 2nd round pick. so was stephen hill, devin smith, and many other non jet WRs. he still hasn't proven anything in the NFL. maybe he needs time to develop. crowder and cole are likely gone next year and he'll get his shot. this year could just be a learning experience for him

RochesterJet and FJF like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

I think we'll keep berrios. Cole and crowder likely walk which gives mims an opportunity on the outside and moore in the slot. we'll probably draft and bring in other cheap guys.

ouchy likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Who said that Mims turned down playing STs? He volunteered to play STs back during TC/preseason.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Wesco’s spot on the roster is as relevant as q Williams’ as it pertains to mims.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I did say "if".. Isn't that Saleh's main excuse for not playing Mims is that he doesn't contribute on ST's and he doesn't know every wr position? If Mims sucks at ST's, that's one thing. If its bullshit that Mims refuses to play ST's, then that's quite another thing. I think the CS just doesn't like Mims and now is scrambling for plausible answers as to why Mims isn't playing. They can solve all of this by trading or cutting the kid and moving on with Braxton Berrios.

10. Cman68

Maybe Mims just needs a new address.. Did wonders for Sam evidently.

11. GasedAndConfused

some players take longer to develop. mims is only in his 2nd year

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

1265 Lombardi Avenue Green Bay, WI?

blackssmagic and Cman68 like this.
  13. Cman68

1 Arrowhead Dr, Kansas City, MO 64129

14. NCJetsfan

Yes, you said 'if," but in this instance it made me think that you had heard someone in the media say that Mims had refused to play STs, because it hadn't been mentioned in this thread or by Saleh as a possibility. Saleh has said that Mims is working hard, play well in practice, and doing everything that they've asked of him.

I hope that it isn't that the CS doesn't like Mims or doesn't see him as a fit. If that's the case, I will sour on them.

I hope that FJF is correct that they see Cole as better at this point in their careers, and that Smith and Berrios are active because of their STs play. That said, I don't understand why Mims isn't being given a chance on STs, or since this year is all about developing the young players and seeing who can help them going forward, why they wouldn't be playing Mims over Cole to give him a chance to develop, especially since Cole is older and only has a 1-year contract. He's not developing that much sitting on the bench, and he's proud, he wants to play and contribute. I wouldn't want a player who didn't get pissed at not playing, when he knows what he can contribute on the field. I can understand not playing him if he doesn't know the plays/system to some extent, but as I've said previous, I don't understand why they couldn't put in a package of plays for him to get him more experience and opportunity to develop.

Maybe they think that Cole can help Zach develop more than Mims can at this point. That I could understand and go along with.

RochesterJet likes this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Chiefs WR's tend to be shorter and faster.

Cman68 likes this.
  16. Cman68

3333 Al Davis Way, Las Vegas, NV

I can see Mims and Derek Carr lighting it up out west.

Jets81, blackssmagic and CotcheryFan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

No, you don't normally want the GM ordering the CS to play certain players. By the same token however, JD obviously believes in Mims or wouldn't have drafted him. If the CS is mishandling/misusing a player he has drafted and potentially ruining/wasting his ability, I think the GM should step in at some point. After all, he is the HC's boss. If the HC doesn't use the player or misuses him, it makes his boss (JD) look bad and it wastes the potential of a possible asset that the GM has added.

I'm certain that JD is staying on top of this situation, and if the CS not playing Mims threatens to create a serious rift between Mims and the Jets, I think JD will step in and tell them to give Mims a shot if he likes and believes in Mims. I don't think he would easily trade him unless he was never that high on Mims to begin with. Since JD traded down last year and risked losing Mims, he may not be that high on Mims, so in that scenario, he could definitely seek to trade Mims before the trade deadline or during the offseason. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. I think the Jets would be making a colossal mistake in trading Mims. I think he becomes a top 10-15 WR in the NFL if the Jets haven't ruined his confidence.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

thats correct. 47 players dress. Q Williams is one of them and useless Wesco is too. Mims isn't. Its a numbers game

19. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

From the coaching staffs comments, it seems like this is true. Cole seems to be more reliable in terms of routes and hots/ assignments. This is huge for a rookie QB trying to learn the system and gain confidence. This is a long season and I'm sure we will see some snaps for Mims as the year progresses. Injuries and now COVID will for sure play into the equation for Denzel to get some time. When that happens, I have a feeling he's going to shine

Mogriffjr likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

for the people arguing mims needs more reps over berrios. look at this play, which was one of our best ones

[​IMG]

here you see 3 wide all on the left side. davis is out wide with berrios in the middle (circled) and moore on the inside. Moore runs a wheel route as shown by the arrow. berrios has the job to "rub" the db off of moore without getting a PI penalty. this is a favorite staple play of the NE offense made famous by edeleman running it.

[​IMG]

NE is in man coverage which is bad against this play. you can see the lineup with the red lines. now ideally NE would have pass and switched the 2 defenders so moores guy covered berrios and berrios guy covers moore to the outside. but they don't and even if they did it wouldn't have mattered becuase berrios did this so well

[​IMG]

Here you see he has both players occupied legally, this gives moore a free run outside and davis prevents his man from getting off him

[​IMG]

Here you see moore wide open with nobody behind him and the DB in a trail and beat thanks to berrios. zach sees it and is already winding up

[​IMG]

Easy pitch and catch. wish zach threw it a little more inside it may have been a TD but moores momentum carried him OOB. either way one of our biggest plays but the credit goes to berrios and lafleur even though zach and moore got the stats for it.