In One Game Zach Answerers Some Questions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Chad's problems with the pass rush were largely on the Jets inability to put a 5 man line full of professional football players in front of him.

2003- the Jets have Brandon Moore (a DT converting to G) and Brent Smith (a vet recovering from serious knee injury who had not played in 2 seasons) on the field with Chad and the Giants overload an interior blitz (who does this in the pre-season?) and break Chad's wrist leading to a lost 2003.

2005-the Jets have Adrian Jones at LT after Jason Fabini seems to have lost a step (moving to RT) and the line is not gelling for once in the pre-season because Jones just isn't good enough to play LT in the NFL. Chad gets hit multiple times hard in the opener against KC and then takes a crushing hit right up the middle against the Jaguars and is out for the season - although he returns midway through the Jaguars game with a separated shoulder because his backup Dave Fiedler got knocked out by the same pass rush.

This is the situation where a Jet OL is quoted anonymously saying that Chad is "like an egg back there". After Chad came back into the game with the separated shoulder because the Jets would have had to play their emergency QB if he didn't.

2007-the Jets have a turnstile at LG in Adrien Clarke and have pass protection issues all season. Chad takes a bunch of hard hits also but he's going to be the scapegoat for the terrible roster management of Bradway and Tannenbaum in the end.

Most good teams would have won a Super Bowl with Chad at some point. Many would have seen him play 10-12 years. The Jets kept patching the OL and watching pieces age out because their commitment to the draft was low and that's what happens to the OL when your answer is to sign vet FA's over and over again to fill holes.

Sack exchange likes this.
  2. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Hope not, what a way to hold a guy back. We weren’t and aren’t a winning team right now. Let him learn? Win or lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sack exchange

Bringing up guys like Adrian Clarke, Fielder, Brent Smith, Adrian Jones, and that preseason disaster game, just messed my day. Lol. Brandon Moore turned out to be good story though. We did not do Pennington an favors with the OL. But not as bad as the Maccagdumb not drafting the OL at all!

4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

2002 was Chad's third season. He sat for the majority of 2000 and 2001 and only got his chance when Vinny struggled at the start of 2002.

Noam likes this.
  5. ukjetsfan

This is both true and very funny!

I don't think criticising a player for a bad game means you have given up on him. I think he was terrible at the weekend, but I also believe he will get better and still have very high hopes for him.

NCJetsfan and legler82 like this.
  6. Sack exchange

“2000–2003
    After making only three appearances during his first two seasons, Chad emerged as the Jets' starting quarterback after filling in for Vinny Testaverde, during the fifth game of the 2002 season. Pennington helped reverse the Jets' fortunes by leading the 1–4 team to an eventual 9–7 record and an AFC East division championship. Despite starting less than a full season, Pennington threw for 3,120 yards with 22 touchdowns and six interceptions. His 104.2 quarterback rating set a team record. In the Wild Card game, Pennington threw for a 142 QB rating, leading the Jets over Peyton Manning and the number four passing offense of the Indianapolis Colts,[6] by a score of 41–0, on a very soft field that visibly hampered the artificial-turf accustomed Colts' passing game.[citation needed]’

You are right it was his 3rd season, so he sat 2 1/4 seasons. Even he missed 1st 5 games, he had great season, with memorable playoff win over Indy!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. ukjetsfan

Absolutely. He hit the ground running when he got his chance!

8. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

I didn't even remember their names anymore but I remember we had a human turnstile at guard and a traffic cone at right tackle. Seems like we always have one, outside of the early Rex years (must have been a coincidence). Maybe I'll make a thread so we can all reminisce about Wayne Hunter, Jeff Criswell, and the guard Tannenbaum took in the second round who turned out to be dog doo. Could be good therapy.

9. Sack exchange

Good ole Vlad.

Royal Tee, REVISion and Gotham Green like this.