Zach Wilson INTs broken down week 2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 20, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

He threw so many I figured i'd try and see what happened. maybe @MaximusD163 could help out since he has access to the all-22. Anyway I'll start with the 1st one then add to the OP the other 4 to the OP as links form posts here due to the length

INT 1

[​IMG]

So we see here as the play starts. NE has 5 rushers. We have 9 players on screen with 1 RB and 2 TEs. 2 WRs are off screen. We do a PA which holds the 3 defenders in the 2nd level. Fant is in good position for his edge rush who was holding up because the PA, AVT has his man, Mcgovern has his man, GVR and moses have a double team and griffin has the blitzer on lock. Kroft comes across the formation to help in pass protection and to fake a lead block on the PA. Ty also pass blocks after the fake. it's a max protect with only 2 players running routes. Not a lot of options for zach here.

[​IMG]

As the play develops we start seeing the breakdowns. Mcgovern is beat already, kroft is blocking nobody and there are 2 possible blitzers on a delay for ty to pick up. not a great situation. We do see davis starting to come open on what appears to be a square in. he has inside leverage and some room

[​IMG]

Here we see a little more. At this point, we find out ty is a fake blocker, he fakes the block and runs an out route which NE picks up perfectly by 1 possible blitzer, the other possible blitzer comes through untouched and at this point mcgovern is smoked and 2 free runners are barreling down on ZW up the middle, worse off kroft blocked nobody and the rusher griffin was blocking backed off to cover a check down just in case. fant is also beat which is wide and would be fine if not for the pressure up the middle zach could step up be fine but that's not an options. we have now 2 lineman beat, a free rusher, and 2 bockers blocking nobody and only 3 players on routes. ty is covered not an otpion. Moore is still running his route and we don't know what it is yet but he does enter the frame for the 1st time. davis is open if the play is a square in route. sadly we find out soon it is not.

[​IMG]

Here is where he has made a decision and starts to throw. The reality is, he is out of time. he's gotta unload the ball or get sacked. The issue is, both WRs are still running their routes. with the max protect (7 in to block and only 3 players running routes, 2 long and a check down) and NE has the check down covered. Now a wise vet QB at this point, likely throws the ball 10 yards over moores head on the outside as a throwaway to avoid a sack and grounding call. We can see here there is 0 chance for zach to succeed on this throw. best case scenerio is a throwaway. worst case is a turnover. He decides to throw the ball over the middle where davis is going even though his route isn't there yet. it's actually a 3-4 route where he slants in, then cuts out. the idea is he stops on a dime and goes out leaving the defender going in the wrong direction and giving him room for YAC underneath. with more time this would have been a big gainer. only player to catch davis is the DB covering moore or the deep safety both with a lot of ground to make up and a blocker in the way. the route looks like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As he releases the ball he has no choice but to throw behind davis and hope he gets it. tryign to throw a covered WR open over the middle is just never a good idea, but zach will learn from it. you can see here davis has attempted his cut but is still covered. this is ZQ just having faith in davis to make a play.

[​IMG]

The crazy part, davis does get some space. had this ball been a bit more outside he could have made a diving catch. no YAC but a completion for a good gain.

[​IMG]

OK now lets give the DB some credit. somehow this play almost works. davis got space with a dead stop that the DB couldn't keep up with, the ball was behind the DB, a lot of times this ball would actually get caught. the pass itself wasn't bad but again had it been more outside would have been safer. either way we see the DB jump and full extension reach back and get a hand on the ball which pops up straight in the air. After that davis tries to catch it as does another DB but it winds up getting knocked right into the hands of the DB who 1st tipped it then smartly turned around to locate the ball

All in all JC jackson made a great play. it's a real testament to the bellichick factor and how well he coaches up his DBs that "no name" DBs constantly make big plays for him year in and year out. Ok so now with all that said where does the blame lie? well in a few spots. I'm not going to blame the playcall either, it would have worked had the blocking been a bit better. yes the routes took a long time to develop but it was max protect and he had a late check down. NE just played it perfectly, took away the check down and got a free blitzer on a delay plus 2 defenders beating their blocks

1) mcgovern/fant - both of them just got flat out beat. mcgoverns was worse since it was right away and up the middle. at least with fant it was wide so zach would have been able to step up.

2) Kroft - the free blitzer was likely his responsibility. he was an added late pass protector. I understand him going right since griffin was 1v1 as a TE. I'm not a fan of the moses/GVR double team. I think it would have been better for mcgovern to float, GVR to block mcgoverns guy, moses to get no help and kfort sliding over to help wither moses or griffin whoever needed it when someone broke through.

3) ZW - wilson has to shoulder the blame too. yes it could have worked out, doesn't mean it was a smart decision. The throw was good, the decision wasn't. He didn't have a win anywhere in this play. Throwing it 10 feet over moore was the wise play. take the incompletion and live to fight another down

Who did well on the play?

1) Davis - had there been more time, davis would have been wide open. when he made hsi cut the DB couldn't keep up, as soon as he started accelerating out the DB still would have been changing direction giving zach a huge window to a wide open WR with room to YAC

2) Griffin - completely stonwalled his rusher 1v1. so much so the rusher just dropped back in zone

3) AVT held his block best by any of our lineman who had 1V1 blocks

4) Moore - just completely blew by his DB on the cut

All in all, the playcall was good, it had potential to be a big play with a little better protection but the max protect gave out too soon and the routes couldn't develop and it snowballed from there
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    INT 2 breakdown
    https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/zach-wilson-ints-broken-down-week-2.96242/#post-4121867

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

INT 3 breakdown

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/zach-wilson-ints-broken-down-week-2.96242/#post-4121886

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

INT 4 breakdown https://forums.theganggreen.com/thr...-broken-down-week-2.96242/page-2#post-4122685

#1 GasedAndConfused, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Wilson was ridiculously late in throwing that pass, he had WR open and waited too long. That’s why defender could make play on ball.

Window closed on opportunity!

3. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

Wow, this is awesome. Where did you get the all 22 angle? I have gamepass but I don't see it.

I'm confused by why Davis doesn't keep running that in route? Did Zach make a terrible throw or was it designed this way so that Davis stops in the middle? Looks like a terrible play.

4. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Was just getting ready to ask how I get this view/angle

5. GasedAndConfused

No he wasn't. if you read what I wrote he threw before davis made a cut, had it been an in route or slant route then yes he had a window, but that wasn't the play. Look at the diagram I posted in it. he ran a "3-4" on that picture. zach released just as he was making his cut. the play is for him to slant inside then pop outside and catch the DB going 1 way while he goes another

It's not up on gamepass yet in the US. that angle was from a replay. i'll buy gamepass once the all-22 is up. @MaximusD163 has the all 22 because gamepass outside the USA has it. NFL botched it for us peeps in the USA

as far as the route goes, read my explanation of it and don't just look at the pics. I explained it above in this comment too to another poster

it was on a replay

6. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

This is an awesome way of breaking it down. Thanks!

Ralebird and REVISion like this.
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I wonder if he could had made the pass to the 10 receiver over the top? Looks like a good passing lane before the cut was supposed to be made back from middle of field on 3-4.

Thanks for this breakdown!

IDFjet likes this.
  8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Great insight and analysis, thank you!

Without looking at the play again myself I can't be sure, but does Moore look open for a huge play? I'm not sure if Zach ever had the time to make such a deep throw with the pressure coming up in his face, but it does look as if Moore could have gone all the way.

Noam likes this.
  9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It takes a couple days for All-22 to be available to me but I have it now. I’ll take a look and post it when I can

REVISion and GasedAndConfused like this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Saleh said the 4th INT was on the receiver running the wrong route. When you look at it there was one bad INT on the under throw to Moore at the 15, 2 aggressive but good throws that probably should not have been thrown that were INTs because of great plays by the defense. In that respect it us not as bad as it initially looked on Sunday. More bad luck than bad play.

The one bad INT to Moore was so horrible it looked like a Sanchez type throw. I would like to know what happened there.

11. GasedAndConfused

usually on a long developing play you go top down, but that's an assumption IDK what his read progression is on this play, typically though it would be moore for the big play, then davis over the middle, then check it down. The issue was the lack of time. The 3rd picture is where the decision is made. as you see there is no chance to make a throw to moore on the outside, he's still in his break and the DB is watching the QB and in great position. that was an easy one for him to pass on. He could have said fuck it and threw inside hoping moore could get there but a throw over the middle to a spot on a WR in his break still isn't a great idea but the lane was there. really just needed more time.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

he would have been with more time but zach didn't get the blocking to allow him the time for that. I do think moore was the primary target and he did beat his man, the blocking just gave out too soon
    I'm gonna do the other 3 as well

Noam likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

INT 2

OK so this one doesn't have the good angles at all form the available footage sadly and the camera was late getting back to the field for the play.

[​IMG]

To start we can see 10 players in frame. this is a PA roll out right. with what appears to be 3 levels. Moore comes across the formation short, kroft the TE is going mid, and davis is going deep. Protection is fine as zach is way away form the rushers who were pushed left

[​IMG]

As the play develops it's 1st and 10. this is where you should be smart. moore is wide open short. flip the ball to him and let him get some YAC for a positive gain on 1st. he should get at least 5 yards and maybe more with a broken tackle. either way 5 yards on 1st down is a good gain. kroft is covered and we can't really see if davis is covered at this point from this view.

[​IMG]

I took an extra shot here because carter the RB and griffin the 2nd TE both sneak out to the same spot over the middle across the body. useless routes on this play. not a fan of that at all

[​IMG]

Still plenty of time and moore is still wide open for an easy short gain. take the yards. there is no pressure on him either. but he's gonna be aggressive which i'm not even mad at to be honest

[​IMG]

Throw is up. the video quality on these suck so sorry about that, but what we can see is davis did actually find a hole in the zone. zach had to throw high to go over the 2nd level. I highlighted this becase kroft is actually more wide open behind davis and had his ball been high to kroft nobody was behind him to pick it off. shold have went deep to kroft if he didn't want the safe play

[​IMG]

As you see here. the ball went through davis's hands. After watching it over and over again it should have been a catch.

So whos fault is it? This one actually rests solely on davis. Listen we can pick apart every detail all day. sure zach could have dumped it off to moore. he could have chose to throw it to kroft who was more wide open and deep but at the end of the day davis did find a hole in the zone and wilson did make a great throw where only davis could get it but it went right through his hands and he slowed it down and deflected it right to a NE defender. just bad luck on a drop that got picked. I'm not going to fault zach for this one. The playcall was great against the zone. we had 3 open targets (davis, kroft, moore) although I didn't like griffin and carter both being next to each other in a spot zach should never throw to. but that's nit picking. the throw was in a great spot. davis just has to come down with it. He even knew it and told wilson that after that play. The protection was great, nobody near zach at all.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think either Griffin or Moore blew their assignment on this play. The design can't have been for both to go to the same spot on the field. If so, then LaFleur is even worse than I thought.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That hurts. The entire game changes if he makes that catch.

16. GasedAndConfused

it was carter not moore. moore was open short for an easy 5 yards plus more if he makes a good move. I'm not sure what the intent of griffin and carter were on this play. My best guess is they were extra protectors in case someone came through to blow up the play but it didn't happen so they both ran little curl routes to the same spot but that spot wasn't accessible with the roll out anyway. either way the play was good if davis just makes the catch and 3 players were open and protection was good so really can't fault anyone but davis on this one

I think the game changes more if ZW sin't forcing the ball to davis. clearly he is ZWs favorite WR but he needs to take what the D gives him.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, my bad, I meant Carter.

With regards to the bold, I think both sentences are correct, yet I imagine that Davis was the primary read on that play, Kroft the second read, and Moore the 3rd read/option. I could be mistaken, but I think most young QBs with a stronger arm probably throw it to Davis on that play. Those with more experience or lesser arm talent probably would take the check down to Moore.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's also Zach's fault. Throw the ball into tight windows with a defender playing centerfield in the area and you're asking for interceptions. The way good QBs keep their interceptions down is they attempt smarter throws.

IIMeanDeanII, legler82 and Noam like this.
  19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Agreed, they can both be at fault. Davis is getting paid and wants to be a #1 WR. Catch the damn ball. We would have been down 3-0 with the ball 1st and 10 at the NE 25. Completely different game.

REVISion, Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

INT 3

[​IMG]

Here is the at the snap look. lets break down what we see here. all 11 are in frame. tight formation 1 TE, 1 RB 3 WR. Berrios starts out wide left with moore wide right and davis in the slot. The motion from berrios across the formation being followed tells zach it's man coverage. the right side appears to be a LBer on davis with safety help over the top. this typically would mean the LBer is blitzing and the safety picks up davis in man. That would be a good mismatch in our favor with davis 1v1 a safety. Presanp i'd think davis would be the go to guy since it's either a LBer with safety help, a safety 1v1, or a LBer alone on a safety blitz. all 3 are in our favor.

[​IMG]

Here we see how good bellichick is. Everything Preplay says man blitz maybe safety help and mismatches for the jets but nope they only rush 4 and drop 7 in coverage. they have 4 players manned up on our 3 WRs and TE and 3 in zones. you see the LBer who faked blitz, drop back and take away the throwing lane to the TE at the top. The o-line is tricked again. fant and mcgovernw ind up blocking nobody while 1 man comes free up the middle who the RB did an amazing job stopping. I think it's ty but i'll try and see if I cna get a visual on who it was. either way great job by the RB picking that up when mcgovern should have blocked him. Moses, GVR, and AVT are all giving good protection right now. Now it's 3rd and 4 mind you, berrios is open on the outside and likely gets the 1st. moore is rubbing berrios guy off by accident. zach doens't see it and looks keyed in on moore and davis . the TE isn't an option in this coverage.

[​IMG]

Here we see the protection is good. the 2 options on screen (davis and the TE) and blanketed. we can't tell what moore and berrios are up to (I wish I had the all 22s) but at this point the window to berrios may be closing.

[​IMG]

Here is the throw which is just a bad decision and bad throw. it's the 2nd quarter and we are only down 7. we were in FG range, could have made it a 4 point game. moore is covered there is no throwing lane and he threw it right to the DB. I know saleh said moore ran the wrong route on that play, but that shouldn't have been an INT. it should have been a throw away or scramble or sack. ZW can't throw that ball

So whos' fault is it? this one is ZW. I don't care if moore ran the wrong route. Maybe saleh said it to protect his QB? IDK. maybe he did. but it didn't cause the INT. He was clearly covered and ZW shouldn't have throw that ball. it's situational football. you are down 7 in the 2nd quarter and in FG range. it's 3rd and 4. take the check down to berrios and pick up the 1st. on 3rd and short priority should be the 1st down over the big play. even if he missed berrios look at this

[​IMG]

Protection was great. he could have stepped up and scrambled. maybe even got a 1st with his legs or made defenders come up and throw it behind him. this is a perfect chance to show off his improv skills. instead he throws one right to the DB. this is all on him but i'm sure he'll learn from it

ColoradoContrails likes this.