Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm glad you knew such a sensible response was coming.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I feel a lot better about Carter, Moore, and AVT than I did about Perine, Mims, and Clark.

I felt better about Hall than I did about the CB's taken this year.

IDFjet likes this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The whole secondary looks awesome so far.

4. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Stop acting like I want Darnold over Wilson. But, would I take Darnold+multiple picks over Wilson.....YES!!!!

Note: the multiple picks having the chance to probably be biggest haul history.....PLEASE SIGN ME UP.

Though, if Wilson lights it up rest of the year - I'm eating my words. doubt it. but if he does I will definitely eat crow and live stream it for ya.

5. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah there are positives!
    I also don't think our OL talent is this bad. I don't think they understand the scheme yet. Every play I see broken down OL never seems to know who to block or where to go.
    I really think we could see things get better as the season goes on.

#285 Jedi mind tricks, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    PJ4Ever and SOJAZ like this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We've beaten this horse to death, revived it and then beaten it to death again but...

Who was the last team to win a SB with the worst QB in the NFL? That's what we'd have been trying to do with Darnold. It's almost impossible. For it to even be feasible you have to have elite players at most other units.

The QB is necessary. We don't know if Wilson is that QB yet but it's pretty obvious Darnold wasn't.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm the worst? Twice now in the past twenty four hours you've come here with total disregard for the topic at hand and attacked me for having the nerve to voice my opinions on a forum for voicing opinions. In neither case have you added a single thing to the discussion but have simply directed your comments at me and the fact that I wrote my opinions. You didn't even challenge those opinions, only me personally. Your life must be totally miserable for you to have nothing better to do. And your reading comprehension sucks as well.

For anyone who might be interested in the actual conversation regarding blueprints looking back a page or two here would show that a poster used a claim that Douglas "has a solid blueprint and he's building towards that" in defending him. I questioned how good the blueprint was if the team is worse now than it was when Douglas arrived. I've also never claimed, as others have, that Douglas should be gone but I do question the lack of progress. Is that off limits?

#287 Ralebird, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    SOJAZ, Jets69 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  8. Ralebird

Seems like a perfectly legitimate comment to me. If you really disagree I'm sure you'll tell us why.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

played Darnold who we all know has issues and a rookie QB. I would pump the brakes on awesome

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

OK

11. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

BUT, they were in that game until the end. If Sanchez doesn't throw the pick late in the 1st half, they win that game.

barfolomew likes this.
  12. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

It is recency bias in my opinion. The offence was so bad on Sunday that it overshadows anything good or even decent with the rest of the team. The defense did play well, and minus that one beast mode run, they did a good job. It is really hard with how the rules are now to not give up a few big passing plays a game. Those will happen even to the best defenses. I guess what I'm saying is I agree with you.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You must tear down before you build back up. That is what JD is trying to do, He is done with the tear down time to build back-up as he has done this season. We need to see progress and growth from our young guys this season and we need to be contending for the playoffs next season.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Since you're so good at "research", how about backing up the bold? The team that Douglas inherited was trash, at best mediocre, and that's being VERY generous. The 7-9 record they achieved under Gase was complete smoke and mirrors and the gift of the NFL schedulers who handed them the easiest schedule they've had in years, including no games out of their time zone, and still they lost to two previously winless teams that showed they were actually better than the Jets. If you want to claim that the team JD inherited was better than what we have now, go ahead and completely erase whatever shred of credibility you might still have.

barfolomew likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Come on man. We are 2-16 since the 7-9 season and the only three losses that we were competitive in were Denver, LV, and NE last year. We beat the Browns because half their offense was on the COVID list. Until we start showing we're capable of winning its not a stretch to say we are worse than in 2019.

Ralebird likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

C'mon man! Go back and look - really look - at that 2019 team and the teams we played. You saw what the quality of that team was by the record they achieved with many of the same guys the following year. Again, this team is going to struggle at first because of lots of new guys - many rookies, including the QB - a new CS - comprised of a HC and OC who are new to those jobs, but if you think this version of team is worse than what we've had here for a decade or more I don't know what to tell you.

barfolomew likes this.
  17. Ralebird

The Jets are 2 - 16 in their last 18 starts. When is the last time they performed that poorly? Those are the cold, hard facts of the Joe Douglas era. That is all the "research" one needs to see that they are worse than when Douglas arrived on the scene. Of course looking at this team with eyes wide shut won't allow that to be seen. Results matter.

18. ColoradoContrails

Stop. We don't need any more proof that you don't know what you're talking about.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This IS a rebuilding effort, and we have to cut JD some slack. It will take time to rebuild. As Jets fans after decade of futility it's a hard ask to be patient, but building through the draft and supplementing with occasional splash in FA market does take several years. This is year 2 of complete overhaul, and I think when's said and done I still think we will triple our win number from last season, which is a step forward.

With that said, JD does have to answer for some things. Most importantly I just don't think he did enough with OL. In retrospect the quality and depth should have been better, even if he did end up spending more on FAs. It hindering the development of Zach Wilson at this point. Someone posted a video of Berrios wide open for 45 yard TD, but Van Rotten got easily beat 1 on 1, so Zach got sacked instead. Even on the first INT last Sunday, he was forced into a tough throw by upcoming rush up the middle. Another fraction of a second and this is a completion. AVT and Moses were good moves, but it's clear now he had to do a lot more. He had to address RG. He had to give more depth. We lost Pat Elflein depth piece, who did well for Carolina.

I understand he was looking for a bargain in FA and building through the draft, but protecting a rookie QB should have taken priority, first two games showed that he just didn't do enough on OT, as simple as that.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This is a bit of a misnomer. NFL rebuilds are usually done rather quickly in the age of free agency.

The Rams were dreadful from 2007-2016 and instantly went 11-5 when they brought in a better coach and rebuilt the offensive line. Same thing with the 49ers, Titans and Seahawks to a lesser extent (not bad for as long but very quick turnarounds).

This is the last year to be OK with a shitty product. The team needs to be .500 or better or the upper management of this franchise needs to be heavily questioned.