In One Game Zach Answerers Some Questions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 16, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. Who is this?

Noam likes this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

One bad game by Wilson and our entire history gets dug up and trotted out.

#122 ouchy, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Sack exchange, Acad23, Jets81 and 3 others like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Based on what Saleh said after the game about returning to boring football I think we will see a reset and Zach's ability to throw downfield will be much more limited.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sheldon Rankins

5. NCJetsfan

Thanks. I really liked what he said, and the thoughtful way he said things. At the very end I heard them say, "Thanks, Sheldon" so I assumed it was him, but had already asked who it was. I hope the Jets bring him back next year.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Wow I love this guy. He us a great speaker and has a great attitude. I wonder if he will go into coaching when he is done.

Thanks for posting.

NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Really? He didn't look ahead of schedule to me. You can argue that he is right on schedule, being a rookie and due some bad plays and bad games, but no way does he look ahead of schedule right now.

Ralebird and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Zach is way ahead of schedule and has been since OTAs have started. Rookies do not ever get the freedom he had the first 2 games to take the chances he did. It really speaks to how much faith the CS staff has in him and how well he has done. While in game one he was the best player on the field in game two he paid for taking risks. Unfortunately, he tried to do too much on Sunday. I think he will be treated much more like a rookie next Sunday. He might not get the splash plays that he has been making but it should help him from trying to do too much and make him more consistent. Likely they will limit him to the type of safe throws that Jones has been allowed to make for the Pats and make wilson a complimentary piece of the offense and not the focus and driving force. Or what Saleh said is a return to boring football.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I still think the happy feet he developed after that game is what ended the Joe Montana comparisons he was getting in his first few starts.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

As we discovered yesterday he has a long road ahead.

Let's not kid ourselves.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, but if you can't see the potential there, and the execution of that potential at times, I don't know what to tell you. Sam never looked liked that IMO.

Sack exchange, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  12. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

And Chad Pennington was good right out of the box. But he had a better team around him than Zach.

Chad doesn't get enough credit because he didn't have a "big arm." People are way too obsessed with big arms. Steve Young didn't have a big arm. I remember the other QBs laughing at him during the QB challenging distance throwing competition. Ball placement is far more important. If you can consistently hit receivers in stride on short and mid-range passes, you'll be great.

13. NCJetsfan

He's ahead of schedule not only in what Saleh and LaFleur expected of him in terms of knowledge of the offense, poise in the pocket, reading of Ds, decision making, and making plays, but also of what most rookie QBs can do. Not only have Saleh and LaFleur said that, but many of the "experts" in the national media have said that as well.

You may have some impossible standards or expectations of rookie QBs that you need to adjust.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Chad did not play until year 3.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I’ll look at play on the field before I listen to talking heads in the media and coaches whose job is to build a young player’s confidence.

I see a rookie. He does some good things and some bad things. I don’t see a rookie who is way ahead of schedule. That’s not a bad thing, it’s the way things usually go.

Ralebird and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I didn't get to see the game... but from reading the board I got the sense it was so bad it warped the space/time continuum and made every Jet quarterback worse than they actually were.

I'm sticking to my prediction that Zach will learn, improve and impress the doubters.

You don't give up on that kind of arm talent and athleticism after one bad game.

#136 Acad23, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    NYGANGGREEN and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Pennington sat behind Vinny a while, but once he played, he was good from start. He was good QB. Regardless of arm. He was smart and prepared. Composed and ready. But unfortunately he hurt his shoulder, not once, but more than once. Best part for me was we got rid of him, then he took Miami to division title. That was the kind of player he was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Sack exchange

Not quite. I think it was fifth game into 2002…. He was drafted in 2000…. So year 2. 1 year, and roughly 1/4 season sitting behind Vinny.

19. Sack exchange

I don’t think Zach has had to deal with too much adversity in the football field. His career at BYU was positive for most part. He rarely got sacked. And had open receivers. So now, he is in NFL, on bad team, and will face a lot of adversity and growing pains. So he needs time to adjust to the speed of the game, and complex defenses and game plans. It will take some time, but he will learn. I hope by mid to end of year it clicks. If he doesn’t get down on himself by then. I am confident he will get better.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How can you watch a game where a rookie quarterback throws four interceptions, three of which are dreadful throws, and say he's ahead of schedule?

We should be happy about him winging the ball down field to literally no one and spin it as some sort of positive of him having the trust of the coaching staff?

We spent most of the game down two scores. It wasn't about the coaching staff having trust in the kid, it was about trying to win the game.

Sheesh, take off the rainbow glasses guys. You two simply don't understand the concept of objectivity at all.

ukjetsfan and Ralebird like this.