2021 - Week 2: New England Patriots @ New York Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 13, 2021.

?

Who will win

Poll closed Sep 19, 2021.
  1. Jets

24.4%
  2. Patriots

75.6%
  1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Feeling frustration is fine. I'm in that boat. Yesterday was frustrating to the absolute highest degree, but you have to think rationally in the process.

Sheldon Rankins is saying it best "we're literally coming in here and changing an entire culture that his lost for years". The changes don't happen overnight. You can't call for everyone's head because of one bad game. Zach Wilson doesn't suck because he had one bad game in his rookie year.

You have to analyze this team on a macroscopic level. The roster is the youngest in the league. There is talent at many positions on this team and with the load of draft picks and money, we should be primed to rebuild everything and be competitive again.

This is the ride we are on. There will be games when we look great and others when we look like shit. This entire organization was a shit show with absolutely no direction. Now we have a regime in place that has a vision and a direction and fans are calling for their heads because they aren't winning immediately.

Organizations take years to build. You just have to trust the process along the way

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

ummmm…..IMO the jets have had enough years to build their organization.

actually they have built the organization——franchise net worth is higher than it was in 2000 when purchased by Johnson folks. So their job is done. Organization built.

just like in politics, the fans are the ones suffering.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He has been. He has surprised me so far. Brady has done an amazing job with him on fundamentals, but he's also helping him with play calling. With Knapp dying and with LaFleur's cluelessness so far, Sam would have been still struggling here and probably worse than Zach.

4. NCJetsfan

We'd all better hope that LaFleur is as quick a learner as Zach is. I'm also thinking the Jets may need to be looking for a better QB Coach than Cavanaugh for next year.

5. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Zach played poorly, but he was sabotaged by his OC. His OC should have been talking with him on the sideline, telling him to check down, and the OC should have been calling quick short passes early in the game to get Zach in a rhythm and confident. He did neither. IMO LaFleur gets most of the blame for Zach's play yesterday. QBs are gonna have bad days with their accuracy, but that can be ameliorated by smart OCs who know how to help their QB with their play calls. LaFleur is still a dumbass in that regard.

Since1969 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I agree that BB didn't do anything exotic, but they did take Davis out of the game, and BB was probably still in both LaFleur's and Zach's head yesterday. LaFleur did NOTHING to help Zach yesterday. He didn't help with the play calling nor did he coach and help him during the game. So far, I'm totally unimpressed with LaFleur.

7. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

1st 2 INTS could easily have been an INC (batted ball x2) and a FD (thru #1 WRs mits)... not on the OC

thats facts. no excuses for last 2 INTS.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I'm certainly no expert, but have learned a few things here and elsewhere.

In the NFL one doesn't usually the see WRs get huge amounts of separation from DBs like they do in college. Every step can be crucial in giving the QB a window in which to complete a pass.

One, when a WR rounds off his route, it's too easy for the defender to stick with him. Cuts need to be quick and sharp Cuts need to be made without losing speed. Some WRs have to slow down a little when making cuts, and this again enables defenders to stick with them.

Two, WRs need to learn to vary their speeds in routes (if they aren't timing routes). If they run the same speed all the time it's easy for defenders to pick that up on film and stay with them. When a WR varies his speed, it makes defenders more uncertain. Is he about to make a quick cut? Could he suddenly accelerater and leave me behind? It's a way that WRs can set up DBs to get open, just as feints with their head can. I've read that some WRs also have "tells" when they're getting ready to make a cut, and it makes it easier for the DB to stay on the WR's hip.

Three, on some routes, the QB is throwing to a spot on the field, and makes the throw as the WR is making his break, or before. If the WR doesn't run a precise route, rounds off his cut, or allows the defender to knock him off stride, at best, it's probably going to be an incompletion, and can easily wind up being an interception as the WR might not make it to the right spot on the field.

Four, some routes have options built in depending upon the leverage of the DB, and the type of pass D is being played (zone, man, quarters, halves, etc.). The WR is expected to do certain things depending upon what he sees/how he reads the D. He has to be on the same page as the QB or it can lead to an interception.

In terms of timing routes, the routes are planned to take an exact amount of time. The QB is throwing the ball as the WR breaks or before, so if the WR has to slow down to make a cut, rounds a cut, or varies his speed on that route, then the timing will probably be off. In the NFL, if the timing is off on timing routes, then that can lead to interceptions.

Hope that helps. I'm certain that more knowledgeable fans in this area will be able to help more.

dmw likes this.
  9. Losmeister

and if the QB is LATE... also fucks it up.... 3rd INT Zach late AND short

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

That goes without saying. The poster had just asked why routes had to be so precise and make them complex/tricky. If the QB makes the wrong read, waits too long/late to throw the ball, is inaccurate, etc., it's all going to go to hell.

Losmeister likes this.
  11. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

1000%

12. Ontherise

Ontherise Member

I won't say how much was on Zach and how much on the receiver - but regardless of the ball being batted - that first INT was some bad, bad football.

The second one I didn't think was so bad. He could've made a better throw, the receiver could've done a better job catching the ball.

13. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I have to disagree. I thought LaFleur, while of course calling nowhere near a perfect game, did enough to try to help his QB. For starters, I do recall seeing him on the bench talking to Wilson several times over the course of the game. On the second and the third interceptions, he had short options he could have dumped the ball off to, but he decided he was still playing against the types of small-time college teams he played against last year and tried to force the ball into spaces that they would have fit against those teams. On the second pick, he had a running back open in the flat. On the third, there were short routes that were available to him and, while none of them were wide open, I would imagine that they higher probabilities of success than floating the ball across the field to whoever he was trying to get it to on the third one. Wilson also had to know that, if nothing is open on that play for the third pick, that he has to get rid of it or make something happen with his feet, because they were in scoring range. I would venture to guess that this is something that LaFleur or someone else told him before the play.

He also got the ground game going much better than it was last week, which is something that should also help a young QB. Calling plays, like playing QB, is very difficult. LaFleur got better from Week 1 to Week 2. Some of the problems from the first week were minimized (Wilson didn't take the beating he took in Week 1, the running game was leaps and bounds better) while other still remained (he needs to think of creative ways to get his playmakers like Carter and Moore into space). Where LaFleur got better, Wilson regressed in a major way. He wasn't great against Carolina, but the decidedly mediocre play we got from him against Carolina would have been enough to have us in the game with a chance to win at the end against the Pats. Hopefully he can bounce back and get things going against Denver next week, and I'm still rooting for him, but I'm not at all encouraged by what I've seen so far.

Cman68 and Ralebird like this.
  14. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Refs blew the whistle for forward progress immediately in the first quarter but let that Damien Harris run just keep going until he got in the end zone???

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

ColoradoContrails and Losmeister like this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well, if this young team needed a chip on their shoulder, they have one now.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Cunts

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I didn't see the game Sunday... just watched the 1st half.
    Wilson aside... I saw some good things from a young team with a rookie head coach.

There's definitely something to build on.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Losmeister

20. NCJetsfan