Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I do think JD has had a solid plan, he's just done very poorly at executing it so far.

There's been a clear focus on improving the offense, specifically by focusing on the OL, QB and playmakers. Focusing on the offense was the right thing to do. The problem is that JD has whiffed on too many of the OL additions and the playmakers/QB are all first year guys currently (Wilson, Carter, Moore).

Ralebird and Jets79 like this.
  2. REVISion

It's been two games, and during the first one he was the most pressured QB in the league. Let's settle down a bit.

He played horribly yesterday, it was plain to see for everyone. It's also just one game and the second start of his career. Writing him off already is insanely reactionary. This isn't even a Sam situation where he was committing the exact same boneheaded turnovers he did in college. Wilson was extremely careful with the ball in college. I'm going to give him a little more time before I crucify him.

3. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Because
    And I still would. How many 4 INTs games did Deshaun have in his career so far? Don't even get me started.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. BrooklynJetsFan

I'm not writing Wilson off. But he's clearly a project for the next 2+ years. He has the tools to be really good. Stop reading into it, but is how good he becomes more than the bounty of picks would have. that's going to decide JD's fate ultimately. You have < 25 Darnold + picks over cheaper potential higher ceiling Wilson.

If Wilson proves to have a better career with Jets - water under the bridge
    If Darnold turns into Tanny 2.0 - not good for JD

This is a message board for a reason. And sorry Deshaun is better than both Darnold and Wilson as Rookie QBs - that's not even a debate now.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

There are over 100 times a QB has thrown 4+ interceptions in a game. There are over 60 where the QB has thrown 6+ in one game.

The idea that this is unprecedented, is ridiculous. Wilson had a horrendous game. Move on.

Jets-N-Terps likes this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agreed…can’t write off the kid after two games, but it was hard to watch. That needs to change. I’m taking some positives from the improved OL play and running game. LeFleur needs to figure out how to call some easy completions and support the kid.

As for JD, I do think he has a plan…rebuild the lines, don’t spend premium picks on non premium positions at this stage, draft speed on D. His execution of said plan hasn’t been spot on though, and specifically, he’s made enough changes on the OL that we are not being unreasonable to expect better at this point. He’d probably agree with that. I hope they start coming together soon though.

I don’t think he’s on the hot seat though….he’s been given the keys to the kingdom, he gets next year for sure I think. But that 2020 class is looking worse by the day. No question. Becton needs to stay on the field. Who knows what the fuck is going on with Mims, Zuniga has sucked, Morgan is already gone, Clark has t played a down….it’s looking shaky for sure. Hall and Mann have been good…and Huff and Guidry are nice undrafted free agents, but not a great first draft class.

7. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

I am just happy there is finally some heat on Joe D and the honeymoon phase is over.

For the first 2 years, he was the savior yahdi yahdi. I believe he can turn it around and hope he does but:

To name a few questionable moves and I know there's a ton of examples to pick from

-Not resigning Robby Anderson(As Joe D admitted to this mistake)
    -Sam Darnold trade(Which the jury is still out, not making a knee jerk reaction in week 2)
    - Draft blunders(James Morgan, Zuniga, and now potentially Mims?) Also, understand there are others, and its too early to tell but let's not pretend he's a draft genius

If anyone watched One Jets drive last year, Joe D was touting the team's competitiveness which I know he has to do as a figurehead of the organization, but that team was an embarrassment and rarely competitive.

This has been a 5-year full rebuild after the veteran-led 2015 season and fans are right to question the moves and the results. No one was expecting to win this year(Vegas had the team at 6 wins) we are not very talented- but the product was supposed to be more entertaining. Yesterday's product was a pile of shit. I get it, it's week 2, but the organization has done nothing to instill confidence that they got this right. Until they do, they deserve to be questioned for every little move they make.

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

That's so naive dude--for one, we would be stuck in the texans position re: DW now.

Second, we currently have 3mm cap space--DW would take up 15mm this year and over 40mm next. So in addition to all the lost draft capital, we have to cut a bunch of our best players to meet cap requirements.

I get you have your feelings but they're unaligned with actual GM responsibilities and your solution would have produced a disastrous outcome.

cval and REVISion like this.
  9. BrooklynJetsFan

Hey man! Nobody in NY is waiting 5 years for JD's plan to materialize out of thin air. The support for this guy is amazing.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What will you do in the meantime or after JD is sacked?

Can't speak for anybody else but my name on here tells you how long I've been a fan, still waiting, despite a couple of near misses which seem a long time ago, but I am here still waiting.

There have been 3 or 4 posters on here state that they are off and will be back next season, what kind of fans are those btw?

11. REVISion

How quickly we forget that Darnold, in his third season, still had a lot of games that looked like Wilson's on Sunday.

Some lowlight games from Sam's third season:

58% completion
    168 yards
    1 TD/3 INT's

52% completion
    120 yards
    0 TD's/2 INT's

59% completion
    197 yards
    0 TD's/2 INT's

94Abraham likes this.
  12. Falco21

Not for nothing, but you point out the failure picks that JD selected, but blatantly ignored the many that are working out:

Becton - Starter
    Hall - Starter
    Mann - Starter
    Wilson - Starter
    AVT - Starter
    Moore - Starter
    Carter - Starter
    Echols - Starter

He signed Sheldon Rankins, Corey Davis, Justin Hardee, and recently Lawson, who had a great impact in the game yesterday.

JD has had 19 draft picks in two years. 8 of those picks are starters which is a 42% hit rate as a starter.

To say that he has swung and missed on a few picks is nitpicking the select few.

13. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Really not trying to nitpick, all starters and hopefully, they all continue to develop and turn into good players. This team needs impact players not just serviceable starters. He owns the offensive line - Mcgoven & GVR have been better compared to last year(And yesterday line played better) but it's not a unit I am overly confident in. If I wanted to nitpick, I would bring up Perriman, Kalil, and the Quincy Wilson trade.

Literally on WFAN right now they mentioned how from the 2020 draft class, 1/9 drafted players were on the field yesterday(I get the injuries but that is the nature of the business)

All I am saying is fans are looking for improvement, the team has yet to improve under Joe D.

Jets81, Ralebird and BacktoQueens like this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Those guys are starters because Saleh has no choice but to start them. The real question is how many of them would be starters on a team that isn't terrible.

15. Falco21

LOL I knew this response was coming

You can read this fan base like a book

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Smush Parker also started 162 games for the Lakers.

Spencer Long started 13 games for us at center and forgot how to snap the fucking ball midway through the season.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Moore and Carter.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Maybe in your Google ventures of finding Joe Douglas's blueprint that he let the rest of the league know about, you can show us where you can find all the other teams blueprints.

Since something like a general manager plan building a team is definitely easily searchable on the internet.

Jesus Christ, man. You're the worst.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The jury is still out whether Zach should have sat for a little while before starting, but it sure looks now like that wasn't a terrible idea. There is a huge jump from BYU to Pros. Initially I was thinking we needed a vet to start at first, and then have Zach come in mid season a la Tua. Then at some point later I was hoping he will just come in and play. After all, Sam did it and ended up having a somewhat decent rookie season. Zach also had the highest QBR of all QBs (not just rookies) in pre-season. It still might be better than sitting him, but it is true, JD didn't really give this option. We do have Josh Johnson on the roster...

20. Jonathan_Vilma

BYU isn't generally a huge jump to the pros. BYU in a Covid schedule where the Pac-12 blocks out non conference games and they reschedule to all mid-tier G5 teams is.

BYU is 3-0 this year, all three games against the Pac-12, albeit 2/3 at home. They haven't trailed yet.

I think Wilson will still have some good games this year though. He's looked pretty calm despite the disastrous two games (first being the lines fault, second being his).