No two ways about it...Zach laid an egg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 19, 2021.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Are we not allowed to be disappointed with that performance yesterday? Are we idiots if we say Zach looked bad?

The trouble with the Jets is, they find different ways to suck every week, every year. Last week Zach showed real promise while the offensive line was awful. This week the offensive line did well and Zach looked awful. What will it be next week?

I absolutely understand that the past does not have anything to do with this current team, and that we have a new everything... but anyone who has been watching this team for longer than a few years has seen this exact same phenomenon with multiple regimes and multiple QBs. They just find a way to do the dumb thing. When it is so often actually easier to do the smart thing. It's tough to swallow when yet another new beginning starts to look shaky so quickly.

Of course they can turn this around, of course they can gel and learn and get better. But will they?

I'm so disheartened by that game. I just want competent football. I'm not even asking for wins. Just look like you have a fucking clue out there.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

of course you are allowed. I don’t think it should be some sort of barometer for things to come. One game at a time.

ColoradoContrails, FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. ukjetsfan

I really hope so. I'm just so battered by this team.

I remember watching a game in the Sanchez era, against the Patriots. On the first drive (I think, it may even have been the first play) we had some sort of stupid fumble or interception that the Patriots ran back for a score and I remember yelling at the TV, 'Why do we have to make it so easy for them!?'

That's exactly what I thought when Zach had three of his first seven passes picked off.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Are you thinking about the 2009 home opener where the first snap was fumbled, but we recovered it? I don't remember any other game where they ran in a fumble/interception for a score on the first play. Oddly enough, yesterday's game reminded me of that where the defense played its heart out, only this time, turnovers did us in.

5. ukjetsfan

I'm probably seeing ghosts! I may well be imagining crap things that haven't even happened... I'll look into it.

6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Time to man up! If your "going for the price on Wilson" then relax. It will take time. (See the taxi scene from On the Waterfront).

7. ukjetsfan

Okay, I think I'm thinking of the Buttfumble game... although weirdly I though it was a different game.

The Patriots scored to open the second quarter and we then put together a good drive until Shonn Greene fumbled. The Patriots scored on the next play on an 83-yard catch-and-run.

Two plays later, the Buttfumble which the Pats return for a TD.

On the ensuing kickoff, McKnight fumbles the return and Edelman returns for a TD.

Three TDs in less than a minute. I misremembered large parts of this (probably my mind trying to retain its sanity) but I do remember yelling 'Why do we have to make it so easy for them?!'

CotcheryFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. ukjetsfan

I've been manning up since O'Brien imploded in 1986.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Sorry but I saw the Super Bowl in '69. Hang in there.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Ah, that game. Pretty sure Sanchez threw a red zone pick that proceeded the first Pats TD drive. Just an all around embarrassment for us.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Same script for every Jets QB in decades. Let's not make Wilson out to be any different than the others unless he proves he is.

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. Ralebird

There's nothing at all garbled, even if you can't comprehend the message. I'm stating my opinion - that's why this forum exists. Life is not all Xs and Os. Deal with it.

13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

If he's not different than Darnold, then why did we ship him out and draft Wilson?

14. Ralebird

Actually, all those things do add up to exactly what we saw yesterday. What they never added up to was the irrational exuberance so many here not only expected but expected all to share.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Hmmm. Maybe the Jets made a mistake? Time will tell.

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Because Darnold was still doing these things in his third season, not his second game.

Borat likes this.
  17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Ah, maybe I made a mistake posting that. I know what you mean. All rookies are going to go through a learning curve, I get that, I just never expected him to look worse than Luke Falk.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Interesting little nugget.

19. Ralebird

I'm not going back to add Falk to the list of guys that people have compared Wilson to. I made my point that to expect all good or all bad from the guy is ridiculous. I just have a problem with those who kept telling us we were now on the yellow brick road and slammed anyone who dared disagree.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We have to play a lot better to be there with those two teams.

Zach didn't just lay an egg but the whole chicken.