Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Nah man. JD gave up a potential bounty of draft picks for a project QB at #2.

Let that sink in for anyone who continues to support this man wholeheartedly.

It’s clear Wilson has talent, but he’s no Russell Wilson or Mahomes lol.

We now have to wait till Year 3 the earliest to see how good this kid will be. But it’s clear from the tape he’s not able to read NFL defenses well enough to win a majority of games for us this year.

And we don’t have enough offensive talent to mask this deficiency while he learns the game.

So therefore, JD has zero plan. He’s praying right now Zach Wilson will be good. It really doesn’t matter how good the young defense looks, Wilson has to be good and soon. Or this becomes a dumpster fire.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but how do you know he's not "no Wilson or Mahomes"? That's a genuine question, how do you know that? How have you made the determination after 2 games?

In week 4 of Wilson's rookie year, he threw 0 TDs and 3 INTs against the Rams. He had a QB rating of 45.

And further to the point, one of the "greatest QB prospect of all time" has almost the exact same stats as Wilson through 2 games as well.

So please, enlighten me as to how you have come to this conclusion after 2 NFL career games?

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He gave himself an out by saying we have to wait till year 3 to see if he’s any good. Right now Wilson sucks but in year 3 if he turns out good then he has his bases covered.

Jet fans wanted a GM who would draft offense since they have not drafted offense in how many years. Joe Douglas focuses exclusively on offense, Wilson, VT, Moore, Carter.

Joe addresses the defense and brings in people for Saleh that meet his requirements for the new scheme, defense all of a sudden is playing well but I don’t hear anyone giving Joe credit for putting together a defense that’s better than they expected.

No one is complaining about the players Joe brought in on defense especially the CBs.

They have played 2 NFL games and now Joe has no plan, are these fans for real?

The CS has to be given some games to iron out the wrinkles on these players.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fair and I agree on the bold. I don't think we lost on talent or coaching yesterday or at least we didn't look like we were three touchdowns worse than the opposition on either front.

Granted, that opposition rolled out a rookie QB of their own on the road, but minus the turnovers and assume punts in those situations, this is just an ugly 15-6 type game.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

there was a point yesterday when having a backup who was capable would have been great, get the kid out for a few series, get his head screwed back on straight and maybe save him from ending up with 4 ints. and having someone who can mentor him on days like yesterday, because he needed it.

6. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

According to the Deshaun Watson thread, you voted to give up the #2 pick plus another 2 first rounders for Deshaun. That loses you all credibility in judging GM moves imo.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The problem is that’s inevitable, all QBs have thrown four Interceptions in their careers, Manning did it 6 times in his career.

I’m not worried about the interceptions, my concern is the growth that comes from those mistakes. Is he going to diagnose those disguised defenses and not make same mistakes again? Wilson is seeing legitimate NFL defensive coverages, game is very fast however it will slow down.

I’ll tell you what I saw in yesterday’s game that I didn’t like, his mechanics got sloppy, he was not throwing with his hips, it was more off the back foot. There is no reason his mechanics should be regressing after 2 professional games.

#247 Red Menace, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Ralebird, REVISion, cval and 2 others like this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--that throwing off the back foot was weird and worrisome

Ralebird likes this.
  9. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

LOL

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a very good reason his mechanics should be regressing after a game or two. He's taking hard hits he should not be taking.

It's not happy feet yet but he definitely was not setting himself, taking a glance at his progressions and choosing the right place to throw the ball yesterday.

Jets79 and Jets81 like this.
  11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yes, but that throw in the 4th in garbage time off his back foot that he dropped in the bread basket was pretty good.

IDFjet and Red Menace like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think they were out-coached yesterday. Especially LaFleur. The running game was working. After Wilson's 2nd pick he needed to relax. You run the ball and give him easy throws. LaFleur was rattled just as much as Wilson was

And Saleh kicking a field goal down 22-3 late in the game was just disappointing

RochesterJet likes this.
  13. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Made perfect sense to kick FG…gonna need a FG anyway and it was like 4th and 8 lol

MoWilkBeast and IDFjet like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

I disagree. Made perfect sense to try and score a touchdown as it was the only time they got to the red zone in the entire 2nd half.

phubbadaman likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Well that ends up being the case of the Jets coaching staff committing unforced errors though. I don't think Belichick did anything to force the Jets into bad situations with his coaching though I looked back at the play by play and you're right - we were moving the ball in chunks on the ground.

16. BrowningNagle

Vera-Tucker played a lot better than week 1 and was opening up holes. 62 still sucks (Van Rotten) but the line was having success in the running game

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I was at the Geno Smith 8/23 103yds 0TD 3INT vs. the Bills game.

This game felt similar.

Take away that final garbage time drive and you’re left with this: 14/28 140yds 0TD 4INT

Edit: wrong thread, but I’ll leave it because its related to Douglas.

#257 Jets81, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    James Hasty likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Ooof. This just destroys this guy's entire argument for the past 12 pages.

K'OB and cval like this.
  19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think he's safe until after next season. If the Jets bomb this year and next, he's gone. If you get rid of JD, than Salah's fate is at the discretion of the new GM. Once JD is gone, its a complete rehaul again.

JD must be feeling his seat getting a little warm, though.

REVISion likes this.
  20. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

We're probably overreacting here by going into panic mode, but it's just a symptom of our chronic "SOJ PTSD," and what we saw yesterday definitely acted as a trigger.

We saw our QB throw 4 INTs (of which two were mind-numbing), and we flash back to all guys billed as our next FQB who failed. We look at a roster with no quality back-up QB and we saw Mims inactive, and we start thinking that maybe, just maybe, our savior GM is just another scout who's in over his head as GM. We saw our HC kick that late FG instead of going for it, and we start thinking of the highly acclaimed coordinators who should have stayed as coordinators.

If anyone knows of a treatment for "SOJ PTSD," please let me know. Quickly. Like right now.