In One Game Zach Answerers Some Questions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 16, 2021.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"Jumping to conclusions" is what Jets fans do best.

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I was talking about Darnold not Wilson - how when he played that first game (not saying he was perfect) I thought "finally after so many mistakes maybe we finally found our franchise QB" - remember that this was on the back of Sanchez, Smith, Hackenburg and then a bit of journeyman time

I have been following the Jets since 1985 and never once in that time have we ever had a top tier QB, and I don't mean someone like Brady or Mahomes, just someone that is a regular top 10 type of guy

ukjetsfan and MoWilkBeast like this.
  3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Stop making sense, there’s no place for that kind of talk here.

NCJetsfan and hornblower like this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"In One Game Zach Creates Some Questions"

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Ken O'Brian was a top 10 type of guy.

Vinny might also have been a top 10 type of guy.

Their inconsistency was only due to their supporting cast not always being there.

papapump likes this.
  6. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

We had O’Brien, he made pro bowl that year, Vinny in 98, 00, 01, Pennington was nice in 2003-2005, and we had Farve pre injury in 08. Sanchez on playoffs was pretty nice in 09, 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James Hasty likes this.
  7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

fair enough - O'Brien was that for a brief period at the very start of the period I mentioned - Pennington could have been good but was made of glass - by the time Favre come to us he was near the end so he wasn't someone you could build a team around - what I am saying is that in 30+ years we have never had the kind of QB you could build a team around and so many of them have been disasters

8. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Can’t dispute that. Lol. If Farve stayed we may have 2 SBs. He was that good for Vikings. But sure he was near end. Before injury, Pennington was very promising, only we had good kicker in 04. May have gone to SB. I liked Vinny, he was nice QB for us. Oh do I hate Achilles injuries! But you are right, we need a home grown franchise QB! Hope Wilson is the guy. Need to build the guy up, not tear him down. He is young (21), and came from 2nd tier school…. So there is an adjustment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#108 Sack exchange, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    MowTin, JetsUK, PJ4Ever and 1 other person like this.
  9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Just speaking for myself I liked Sam and would have preferred to have kept him. I was like 1 against 30 or whatever it was on that poll thread the other day. But I'm not even close to giving up on Wilson. I AM starting to question that maybe the Jets should have taken the tactic of having the veteran type guy on hand to either ease Wilson in after a few games or like the Jets did with Sam and basically give him a break for a few weeks after he experiences a few games. But however they want to tackle that aside I agree that historically quarterbacks that end up really really good often have pretty rocky beginnings. That in and of itself shouldn't be totally alarming. Its not like he looks completely lost, can't run fast, or doesn't have the arm to make throws. He's just learning on the job in front of millions of people.

Just from my casual fan perspective I don't think having the offensive line having what amounted to a complete meltdown in week 1 (basically they had their Zach Wilson week 2 effort against Carolina) followed just 7 short days later by having Bill Belichick show up did Zach any particular favors. Who knows... maybe if Davis had managed to catch interception #2 instead of letting it go through his hands maybe the whole day would have turned out different. I wouldn't be surprised to see a totally different outcome next week. OL together, Jets a little more conservative, and Wilson a little more confident and careful. Learning curve.

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Our litany of QBs is just painful for the most part. Some bright spots of course, but a lot of darkness.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Aside from being fragile Pennington had problems dealing with a good pass rush.

He was never the same after the playoff game where the Raiders tuned him up.

12. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

If Zach said to the team after the game, or even just to himself, "We were going up against a solid defense that is well-coached, I felt I would have to take some chances to win the game, but I went too far, that won't happen again", I don't think it's a big deal. Also, with a 17 game season, we have a little more leeway, so I'm pretending we're 0-1.

Next week on the road a mile up with less oxygen will be interesting.
    Ron

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Jets81, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The positive about Saturday's game is that Zach was allowed to be so aggressive throwing the ball down the field like a gunslinger. Which is pretty amazing for a rookie. Which confirms how much trust the CS has in him and how far ahead of schedule he truly is.

The negative is I doubt Zach will be allowed to be this aggressive again at least for quite awhile. The keys to the Maserati will be replaced with tge keys to a Yugo. I am guessing we will we see a lot of short quick throws like we saw from Matt Jones. Rather than being asked to be the driving force of the offense he will be asked to be a complimentary piece.

Of course Jet fans will complain about the offense being boring and too conservative when we scale back the offense. But, he is a rookie and should be eased into the job and protected like every other rookie QB. Saleh said it to him on draft day that he will not need to carry the team and that they will support him. I imagine the Jets are going back to that plan especially after a much more promising effort by the OL.

15. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I don't think it was the Raiders game that did it. It was the fact that after he broke his thumb in the following preseason, it didn't heal properly and so his play fake, which was one of the best strengths, was no longer effective due to his grip being damaged.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree about the Raiders game. They exposed Pennington in that game taking away his easy throws with press coverage forcing him to throw into small windows with no arm strength to put any velocity on the ball.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Answers really start to show up after a body of work, which is why I'll hold real hard assessment after he gets through his first year.

We all know it was not going to be smooth sailing.

ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post and kudos to you!

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We also have an OL that's still developing cohesion, so I have no issue with a less aggressive offense. But, if Zach is the FQB he was drafted to be, there will come a point where he'll have to show he can elevate players around him.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With the way the Jets' OL played in game 1, short, quick throws is what we should have been seeing yesterday against the Pats. That 100% goes on LaFleur and Saleh. They need to get everything/everyone in sync first and playing well consistently, and then they can open things up a little bit. They can use screens, draws, slants, quick passes to get Zach in a groove, remove a heavy pass rush, and then when opposing teams start crowding the LOS, the Jets can burn them deep with Moore, Davis, Smith, or here's a concept, Mims.

It's like they're trying to write a new Jets way of destroying a rookie QB. I am major league upset with how stupid Saleh and LaFleur have been so far. I know they're rookies, but if we can see this shit, then they ought to be able to see it!!!

Noam and NYGANGGREEN like this.