No two ways about it...Zach laid an egg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 19, 2021.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's funny, I really liked Zach Wilson's aggression today. It was refreshing compared to Sam being so conservative and afraid to attempt to make plays. The interesting part is the result was the same: The Jets were blown out by the Patriots.

Wilson played bad and was careless with the ball, but I do like that he has confidence to attempt to make those plays. He just needs to know that sometimes you need to play it safe. I think play calling deserves some blame. The WR's needed to bail out Zach on some plays too.

Overall, it was a tough day, but I do see the potential for success with a lot of the young guys the Jets have. They just need to continue to learn and improve.

NCJetsfan, Noam, Poeman and 1 other person like this.
  2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I've seen some pretty bad games over the years, and this was pretty bad, but this game doesn't even compare to some others. The game where Greg McElroy got utterly destroyed against the Chargers after Sanchez was benched was one for the ages.

3. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

I rewatched the game and came away less stressed than after watching it the first time.

Zach was not anticipating what was happening, whether it was bad reads or miscommunications. What I thought was encouraging was he continued to try and drive the ball down the field the entire game. I don’t think you can teach someone to play fearlessly—and that’s why I’m excited about Zach to hopefully work out the errors and just be a gunslinger. We’ll see!

4. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Zach really needs to learn accountability, what's this "we" shut he was referring to in the post game presser, no Zach it was you, not we, and to throw 4 picks into zone coverage is inexcusable, one thing if it was man coverage,

I'm literally dreading the denver game

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why is it ever a controversy to play the guy who plays better? These guys have been competing for a position since they first snapped the chin strap on their Pop Warner helmets. Competition is good.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

White, Testaverde, Newton, Lawrence, Darnold, Namath, Fields, Jones, Smith, Brady, Mahomes, Taylor, Sanchez, Luck, Peterman, Burrows and McElroy are among the quarterbacks who have been mentioned here already, for better or worse, in comparison to what Wilson did. None of them matter - not a single one. The title of the thread is about Wilson, and only Wilson - and he was awful. Of course most of us knew he'd have games like this; it would be unreasonable to expect anything else of a rookie - life goes on. He may even get a couple of decent games together this season.

The problem is that there are a handful of guys here who would not address that probability until it came crashing down on their heads like an Acme Company anvil; now some of them are busy calling anyone who cites what happened at MetLife stupid posters and "LOL"ing at them for failing to expect that which they refused to acknowledge. At least one of them, predicting a winning season, expected the Jets to be 2 - 0 now. Gimme a break! You're the guys out of touch with reality. You're the guys who slammed anyone who did not share your misguided excitement for this season. You're the guys who were thrilled with the coaching staff and were amazed and pissed off that others actually had their expectations firmly planted in reality. You're the ones whose tunes have changed a whole lot in eight days regarding both the coaches and players. Own it!

It's going to be a long season; anyone who expected anything different has been living in Fantasyland. To make excuses today is ridiculous, as is gloating about getting it right today, believing that the final chapter in the Saleh/Wilson era has even been outlined, much less written.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He did lay an egg. Then he rolled over and shit the bed. They’ll need to burn those sheets for sure.

An alternate thread title that I would have accepted would be: “Coach who’s defense makes rookie QB’s look awful makes rookie QB look awful”, but It wouldn’t be right to give Beli all the credit here.

Looking forward to Baldys Breakdown for this one.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

This thread is 8 pages long now. It probably doesn't need more than these 3 sentences.

And yes, I'm aware of the irony in me adding another post just to say this.

Attackett, Noam and stinkyB like this.
  9. MoWilkBeast

My issue is that I don't think Sam was conservative initially either. It was the losing, the criticism, the lack of talent around him and, yes, the ghosts game that got to him. The concern here is that Zach is in a very similar situation. So far, his first two pro interceptions are just rookie things. They are expected. The third one he put it in the worst possible place but Davis should have done better. The last two were the ones that concerned me. They really were wtf. Even if the final one was a bad route it was a can't hit the ocean moment. There was no one but defenders anywhere near.

Let's hope he's resilient and has enough self confidence to learn from his mistakes without becoming too conservative.

10. MoWilkBeast

To be fair, I knew he'd have bad games but I was rather hoping that they wouldn't be as bad as this one was.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh give me a break. This is such bullshit about Zach needing to "learn accountability"

Let's quote his post game interviews:

"I gotta do a better job executing, communicating, and doing a better job with the ball"

"I gotta do a better job executing"

"I gotta start better"

"It's on my shoulders, I gotta do better"

"I gotta take care of the ball"

"I gotta make better throws and better decisions and getting on the same page as my guys"

"I gotta see somehting better, see something faster, or make a better throw"

I can go on and on.

Continue spewing the horseshit

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

He was awful yesterday. Point, blank, period. He missed so many throws. The one to Moore should have been a TD with a better throw. You're an idiot if you are giving up on the kid after 2 games, but it was very, very disappointing to watch.

Irrelevant to this thread about Wilson, but Davis needs to catch the damn ball. He wants to be known as a #1 big time WR? Catch the ball. Help your rookie out. We would have had the ball down 3 on what, the 25 yard line of NE? Huge game changer and really took the crowd out of the game.

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think most of us expected some growing pains this season.

Despite the loss, the Carolina game seemed to indicate that perhaps winning seven or eight games this year might not be a pipe dream after all.

I mistakenly thought today would be a decent chance for a win because of the way we played at the end of week one and that the Patriots did not look like world beaters (until Wilson started throwing the football).

The worst part of yesterday's game was not the fact that we lost but how we lost.

Fans here have every right to be upset and critical of our coaches and most especially our quarterback.

Telling anyone that whatever that was yesterday was to be expected and normal should dial things back a bit as Wilson appeared to reach a whole new level of self destruction that we have not seen since Geno Smith and the pick sixes.

I do have to give credit to the Patriots coaches for taking Corey Davis out of the equation.

Davis was clearly the hero in week one and the Patriots had a plan.

KY Jets Fan, SOJAZ and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's how I feel. I knew BB would confuse the shit out of him because he does it to almost every rookie QB. I expected us to lose big yesterday and they didn't disappoint, although the coaching breakdowns need to be addressed immediately and Zach needs to be corralled.

Doesn't make it taste any better though because of the hype around this guy.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The thing I find most frustrating is that for the second week in a row he hit a receiver with a catchable ball at a point in the game where it could have changed momentum and possibly the outcome.

He didn’t play well but the WR’s need to help him out. Instead of gaining some confidence he got spooked, confused, and when he did have people open he seemed to throw high.

16. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I remember a geno smith game when he was benched after 4 int. Couple of fitz games in 17 were memorably bad. Mind you I could bring up bubby brister. Lol ooh and butt fumble game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Agree. He did throw into sone tight spots, but he got no help from the receivers on a couple of those ints.

18. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I think he was pressing, and forcing things. Bellicheat is famous for taking game plans away. So I blame OC some, he is also rookie. Instead of adjusting, we were using brute force. If he took what was given and remained patient, would have been in the game. But 4 int, and lapse plays on D, there was no way to compete this one. Not many teams overcome that. Couple of the ints I think were route issues, as could not even figure out who was intended. Either Zach or receiver were not on same page. Positives, OL improved, run game improved (bellicheat gave us maybe), and D was resilient! Zach and OC need to adjust game plan to what is given. And not force what is covered. It is learning. I think we will be better next week!

Watched a lot of Zach tape, and that was worst I have seen. Had not seen him rattled. Need to make sure we handle this right way, kid is young, need to learn and build on this. It is new for him. Negativity could hurt the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#158 Sack exchange, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Is there anything football related in this big garbled mess or are you just bitching about other people's opinions again?

Acad23 and James Hasty like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wilson misses high. That concerns me for his future in this league

SOJAZ and Jonathan_Vilma like this.