Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It’s just so Jetsy that us fans were all excited about the talent at WR all offseason with Davis, Moore & Mims yet Braxton fuckin Berrios is the Jets leading receiver after 2 games.

Mims needs to play.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He put up big stats in college, has all of the measurables you look for, our GM still in charge used a high pick on him, he made plays as a rookie in a disaster offense, in this preseason, and in one of the 3 snaps he played this year.

Do you really blame some fans for wanting to see what we got with Mims at this point? I would understand if we had legit playmakers ahead of him but other than Davis and Moore it’s JAG city.

Just puzzling more than anything, and our offense is actually horrendous so far. It can’t hurt.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No, I don't blame fans for that. I generally align with throwing the draft picks (non-QBs) out there and seeing what happens with em. But there's something going on in this case as everything you stated seems like it works for him.

That tells me he might really suck.

4. King Koopa

In practice? Because in the games we’ve seen he’s done fine and seemed to be progressing and making plays when given the opportunity. Look at the play against the Giants in preseason for example. Yes broken coverage, but he has the longest? play on offense in 2 or 3 snaps total or whatever lol against Carolina.

If he sucks and just doesn’t have it then let’s see it...our offense can’t be any worse, I mean really what do we have to lose?

5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

if only we could make lafleur inactive until he learned the playbook

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I get it, but I'm more apprehensive to throw a player out there that can force a rookie quarterback to have to think more than he already does.

That's why I'd estimate the coaching staff isn't just down for the trial by fire with him if he's lost as to what to do and how to read and react to coverages. If we had Josh McCown out there I'd be more pissed that he's not playing.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mims was inactive but 4 TEs were active. Wesco and useless Daniel Brown had only 3 snaps combined total.

I think I'd make at least one them inactive and activate Mims myself. Its not like Wesco did anything of value in his 2 snaps. Or Brown in his 1 snap. I think we'll live if one of them is inactive

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it was clearly moore ahead of cole. cole had almost no impact in the game

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

brown and wesco play special teams. mims doens't

10. GasedAndConfused

steve smith, tyreek hill, santana moss, off the top of my head

11. King Koopa

I get what you’re saying but we’re now heading into week 3 of the regular season. If you’re telling me Mims can’t even see the field due to playbook issues, it’s either a big indictment on Mims, and in turn Douglas who used a premium pick on him OR the offensive coaches aren’t doing their job in getting a promising player prepared.

No matter how anyone spins it, something is wrong in the operation here and it can’t reflect good on multiple people depending on the reasons why a promising rookie suddenly can’t see the field in year 2

12. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

How did we only have one punt lol…oh right, the QB and Corey Davis kept giving them the ball

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We know that Berrios isn't going to scorch any Ds, and it's been 10 years or so since Smith and Moss played. We know that Mims can take the top off of a D.

14. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Which would also be an indictment of Douglas

blackssmagic likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

And it's looking more and more like Saleh is lying through his teeth, is stupid, or thinks Jets fans are stupid (well, he's partially right there). He had never mentioned STs before as being a reason, so it's a moving target. I guess next week it'll be because Mims doesn't remember how LaFleur likes his coffee, or something equally stupid. I distinctly remember Mims volunteering to play STs to help. Have the Jets used him on STs? No. What good does it do to put a lesser-talented player on the field because he knows more positions than a much more talented player who doesn't know as many positions? The answer is none. A player can only play one position at a time. Using a player like Mims on STs would be a waste and stupid. He could suffer a serious injury on STs.

If the Jets' CS can't figure out a package of plays that Mims can successfully run or how to get Mims ready to play, then they shouldn't have jobs in the NFL. As others have said, if Mims is awful, put him on the field and let him prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's lost, doesn't know the plays or can't execute, can't get open or catch the ball. Then and only then will I trust the CS. LaFleur and Austin have done nothing to earn my trust, and in fact have destroyed the trust I initially gave them. Saleh is destroying the initial trust I gave him, too. He can't even keep it straight why he's not playing Mims or he's creating new reasons.

Corey Davis is hurting the team. He's dropped or missed what should have been 3 completions in two games. He needs to pull his head out of his ass. I don't recall Mims doing that last season or in college.

blackssmagic, Jets79 and cmcm750203 like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Brown does. But only 2 snaps for Wesco on special teams. Must be the kickoff, that goes for a touchback anyway. Not worth keeping a talented player off the roster for IMO

17. GasedAndConfused

he's never created that deep separation though regardless of his speed. He isn't robby. what he can do is go downfield 1 on 1 and win a jump ball. davis can do that too. davis is basically a better mims and never leaves the field which leaves mims on the outside. SF is having the same issues with Ayiuk right now who was a 1st rounder 2 years ago

18. GasedAndConfused

he's on the roster. he's just not active

19. NCJetsfan

Not true at all. Go back and watch film from last year. He clearly beat several of the top CBs in the league and was open for receptions. Besides, with his height, leaping ability, catch radius, and 50-50 ability he's open enough. It's also common knowledge that WRs don't usually get huge separation in the NFL.

20. GasedAndConfused

I watched plenty of film on him in college and the pros. he doesn't get separation. like yeah he was wide open week 1 but it was a blown coverage. but he isn't winning matchups to give big windows. he's just good at winning 50/50 balls and catches in traffic. You of all people should know how much film I watch on these guys. I said it about mims when we drafted him and he's done nothing to prove me wrong so far. Forget the 40 times, this isn't madden where a speed rating decides 99% of your success. it's the real NFL where everyone is fast and a freak athlete.