No two ways about it...Zach laid an egg

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

the bar for Jets qbs is really that low...I was excited for both of those guys too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree that signing Taylor would have had the makings of a QB controversy. It would have been made clear that they planned on drafting Zach and he was their QB of the future. Taylor would have been told that he was here in case of injury and to help mentor Zach, or at best start for a year and then Zach would be handed the starting position. Taylor may not have wanted to sign under those conditions, but I don't believe that there would have been any controversy.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

True, but the post I responded to asked directly if Darnold or Sanchez had worse games.

I think it's insane to make comparisons right now.

4. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

The curse of Joe Willy White Shoes...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Given all those who now think drafting Wilson was a big mistake, you don't think there'd be a loud outcry for Taylor? And let's say they accede to those demands and Taylor plays pretty well, it's going to be damn hard to sit him and put Zach back in, and yet Wilson has a much higher ceiling and will need to get back in there at some point. At that point you have a "QB controversy".

westiedog1 and REVISion like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that some fans, and probably even some of the dummies in the media would probably clammer for Taylor, but JD and Saleh could make it clear that wasn't going to happen.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It wouldn't have been a controversy because there would've been a clear distinction that Taylor and most others are single year stop gaps.

It would have certainly been difficult to keep the fan base from picketing outside Saleh's home to put Wilson in after a 1-6 start. But hey - in all honesty, the Texans might have the absolute worst roster in the league and Taylor has moved the ball with his ancient runningbacks and trash receivers so who knows.

These only become issues when you do dumbfuck things like Flores did with pulling Fitzpatrick while he's leading the squad to the playoffs and then benching Tua in certain halves after making the switch.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The good news is he is not the first rookie QB that Belichick has made look stupid. The bad news is I don’t think the Pats did anything special defensively, Zach was just that bad, like really really bad.

Careers aren’t made off two games though, he’ll have many chances to improve, I’m sure we all hope he does.

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

thing is whether or not he becomes the best or worse or has games in between, he most likely will have more bad games. Let him work thru these struggles. Burrow threw like 3 picks today. Rodgers was awful last week. He has to learn to limit the major screw ups and get more positives. Gotta continue to work, he’s a rookie and he’s likely seeing real game speed at a 1000 miles a minute.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not to mention that Culley seems like a halfwit. He really turned down a penalty that would have extended a drive and opted to punt so they could get better field position.

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

There is no room for rational posts on this forum after a loss.

KY Jets Fan, MoWilkBeast and chrisrex like this.
  12. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Yes Zach had horrific day, was pressing and forcing the ball. I think lost some confidence as game went on. Play calling was not great either. But I line was better, running game looked nice. Bellicheat was taking Davis away, but Zach was forcing it to him. Funny he was making bad throws while NOT under pressure. I had not seen that till now. Concerning. Need to have patience, this is learning season. Let’s see how next week goes before we go too negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Yes, Zach laid an egg, but listen to his presser and tell me that you don't see a guy who knows what he did, and admits his mistakes, and will work to correct them. How many QB's, let alone rookie QBs would have the composure he shows in answering these questions?

EDIT: I forgot to put the link in:
    (60) Zach Wilson Postgame Press Conference (9/19) | New York Jets vs. New England Patriots | NFL - YouTube

And not to excuse his 4th INT - he certainly accepts responsibility for it - but he alluded to the fact that maybe somebody didn't run the right route. I mention this because we all saw what looked like him throwing it to nobody, but it sounds like he was expecting somebody to be there. In the end though he accepted the blame - as he should have: "The ball's in my hands so I have to make the right decision".

This is completely unlike any recent Jets QB in my memory who don't offer any insight or understanding of the mistakes they made.

#133 ColoradoContrails, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    KY Jets Fan and Sack exchange like this.
  14. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I watched every Sanchez and Darnold press conference after games. They always took blame.

SOJAZ, Ralebird, legler82 and 2 others like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

My point was that Zach clearly explained what went wrong from his POV and that gives me confidence that he'll correct these things, while Sanchez and Darnold didn't give me that same sense of understanding and awareness.

16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Did you watch the first game? You don’t think Wilson showed anything positive?

17. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Fair enough....look I am rooting for the kid and the guy I thought was the only no-brainer in the draft -- Lawrence -- hasn't lit the world on fire, either.

I kinda wonder if we had kept Todd Bowles and gotten him Gase as an OC for Darnold.... how that would have turned out.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Most likely terribly. But I wonder if we'd kept Bowles and gotten someone halfway decent as an OC for Darnold. And maybe a new GM too who wasn't a Gase guy...

19. Ontherise

Ontherise Member

One little thing he could do to improve some by next game is get rid of that headband.

Need patience with him - but he has to take care of the ball better.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

He sucked today,no excuses about it...but I am not calling him to be benched or a bust, also