Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Joe Douglas will be gone in 2 years I dont think Zach wilson is a top 2 QB I said that in earlier posting back in the spring that they should stick with Darnold who had nothing around him and build a actual team still believe Darnold is the top tier franchise QB he was projected to be will be proven that with Carolina. The Jets traded a top 3 QB prospect that has franchise potential and draft a QB who wasn't considered even a 4th round pick in Sept 2020 struggled his first year almost lost his starting job then played a cream puff with covid and is declared Mahomes 2.0 and Douglas was dumb enough to buy in this will cost him his job in 2 years with Jets fans screaming about the Darnold blunder for a long time. Zach to me is a project to career backup and I said that back in February not to draft him. I stand by it hope I'm wrong Zach will be gone in 2 years along with Douglas.

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

.[​IMG]

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Even the Tannenbaum plans flaws had flaws.

The patch with a free agent at several positions part of it was flawed but expecting to go against the Colts in the AFCCG again in 2010 instead of the just as likely Steelers or Ravens was the bigger flaw.

The Jets overloaded on CB's in free agency and the draft in 2010, with Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson and then went up against smashmouth football against the Steelers in the 2010 AFCCG. Antonio Cromartie was exactly the last person you wanted to sign if you were facing the Steelers.

4. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

My point being. i’ll accept a plan with flaws than no plan at all.

Br4d likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think it's most likely true that Douglas is a bad GM, where my definition of a bad GM is somebody worse than Tannenbaum. I was never that optimistic about him to begin with since I can't imagine somebody any good would have taken the Jets job in the first place with Gase as coach. Also, while it's too early to know for sure, his 2020 draft class looks very bad, and I don't see how this team is any better than the one he inherited.

Still though, unless the Jets go 2-15 or something like that, we can't fire Douglas this offseason. Because if we keep Saleh, no good GM is going to take the job without being able to pick his own coach, and if we fire Saleh, no good GM or coach is going to come anywhere near a team that fires a coach after one season. Unless we do go 2-15 in which case we could probably get away with firing everyone, even Saleh after one season.

REVISion likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

Idzik had a plan, were you cool with him?

7. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yes, until it completely failed. You need a clear plan as a GM. JD doesn't have one. It's obvious now. Either he doesn't have a plan or he's not good at personnel decisions. Either one means he's not the guy. Just accept it.

Iron Sharpens Iron. Darnold either would have made Wilson better or made Wilson a pick we could trade. That my friend is a plan. Not let's get what we can and hope the #2 overall is the guy.

Wilson can't read zone. His pick last week was in a zone coverage. Belichick ran a simple zone bro. Ghost game with Darnold he ran a Cover 0 personnel. This was way worst. It was a fn simple zone bro LOL?!!

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Br4d

The Idzik failure was an organizational failure that he contributed heavily too.

The whole point of bringing Idzik online was to change the back office culture on the Jets and there is no evidence that he even tried to do this. He would have needed to clean house when he came in and then leveraged his vast experience working in successful organizations to convince other good assets to come work for the Jets. Instead we kept the same rotten talent evaluation process in place and it spectacularly bottomed out in his second draft which was a total waste of picks.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

I think Douglas has a plan; it's to get his guy at QB and coach and focus on accumulating picks and cap space while building the lines. The problem isn't the plan; it's that his first draft class has been shit, the OL is still bad, and he took a high-risk big-play QB and gave the coaching staff no choice but to start him on Day 1 because he didn't keep Flacco or sign a different competent backup. But I agree that unlike the ghosts game, Belichick did nothing special with his defense; Zach self-destructed on his own.

Br4d and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The bold is the biggest issue. Wilson doesn't seem ready and it's not his fault. But he definitely needed a year of seasoning and they put a lot of eggs into the basket that he was going to be ready to play ala Russell Wilson.

He might be ready to play but he has very little shot given the overall talent of the players that fill the roster out.

#231 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  12. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

God Help Us All if your post is prescient.

13. JetsKickAss

Did you watch the AFCCG ? We missed 22 tackles that game -- had nothing to do with the CB's.

14. Br4d

Antonio Cromartie is synonymous with Missed Tackle. I mean really. If there was an Urban Synonym Dictionary Antonio Cromartie would be a synomym for Missed Tackle.

REVISion likes this.
  15. JetsKickAss

If you think Cromartie or his tackling is why we lost to Pittsburgh, you're crazy. The DL and LB'ers blew it.

Go watch the game again. Or listen to Rex Ryan or Bart Scott.

16. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Is it really a "missed" tackle if you don't even try to touch the ballcarrier?

Br4d and Jets69 like this.
  17. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

But at least they got there. At least the Jets from that decade knew how to unearth real talent at every position, at least they at times were able to throttle an opponent, or play mistake free football. Heaven forbid UPSET a team every so often. That team could win games. The real issue with this team is that there hasn't been even a morsel, a shred of forward progress by the men in charge now. From when Douglas took over is the talent measurably better? How is his '20 draft looking? How is Becton doing? Maybe it's time to face facts. The culture hasn't changed and it's not changing because Douglas may have no idea how to bring in the right players and coaches to make it work. We don't know this for sure but it's gone on long enough to where the thought is creeping into our heads

It's too early to pull the plug on him yet. I would not endorse it. In fact it would be lunacy. But I need to see more. I need to see more signs, bigger signs that this franchise has is moving in the right direction the rest of this season, and I want to see a big step in 2022. But so far what I've seen I've been anything but impressed

what's irritating is that other teams who were (maybe in not exactly the same but...) were in precarious situations at about the same time Douglas got here have turned themselves around, raced past us etc

Remember the Cardinals? Some pretty boy new coach? Couldn't even win in college. The Josh Rosen disaster.

where are they now. Remember Miami (today was ugly for them but still) they were going to go 0-16. Nobody wanted to play for them. Selling players off midseason. Where are they now?

Remember the Redskins? 3-13 in 2019. Now look at them

Somehow this is getting done in other places. But for some reason not here (not us or the Giants for that matter)

#237 JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  18. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

and once upon a time we had a guy in our organization who pounded the table to draft Russell Wilson. But that was back when this team actually employed good football people. Not perfect, not flawless, but a heck of a lot better than we do now

19. HomeoftheJets

The Cardinals had a good team before the Josh Rosen disaster. They just took the wrong QB and were smart enough to admit it and take a much better one the next year. Not sure if Miami is a good comparison; they're better than us, but I don't see it working out long-term. And as bad as Dan Synder is in general, he finally fired Bruce Allen and hired a proven winner in Ron Rivera.

The problem here is the Johnsons keep playing the keep the coach-fire the GM/keep the GM-fire the coach game, so nobody good is ever willing to take the job. And they keep listening to people who don't care about the Jets and have ulterior motives when they recommend potential hires (e.g. Casserly recommending Mac, Peyton Manning recommending Gase, etc.)

REVISion and Br4d like this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Googled all day and can't find a single thing to support the bolded.

Actually, I have to believe that any NFL GM is always working with some kind of blueprint but if the building keeps falling down before it's framed out maybe the blueprint isn't so "solid" and is not worth the paper it's drawn on. The Jets continue to regress.